• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Muzzleloading Shotgun Mystery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeborg

32 Cal
Reaction score
I inherited this from a relative after they unexpectedly passed away, and have had it in my gun safe since then. Occasionally, I'll take it out, look it over, scratch my head and put it back.
I finally decided to ask...
I have NO idea what this is.
It appears to be old. has an odd 'side hammer' cap lock design?
It's very rough, and I'm guessing European?
No markings I could find.
Anyone have any info on it?
If it doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll delete it.
Thank You

Attachments

• DSC_0041 (2).JPG
    DSC_0041 (2).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0042 (2).JPG
    DSC_0042 (2).JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0043 (2).JPG
    DSC_0043 (2).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0044 (2).JPG
    DSC_0044 (2).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0045 (2).JPG
    DSC_0045 (2).JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
That design is usually referred to as a mule ear lock. If you can find some markings on the barrel, may even be on the bolton of the barrel, some one may be able to help you. Good luck.

In my very limited experience it is more common to see a side slapper on an America gun…. But I could be very wrong! The trigger guard also looks American to me.

Interesting!

I have no idea what it is but I do like the way the guard and the trigger appear at casual glance to be a continuation of the same curve. Very neat piece.

No front/rear barrel sights that I can see, so most likely a smoothbore/shotgun/fowler.

As noted above, sometimes a maker marks the hidden underside of the barrel (remove the stock to examine) or on the inside of the lockplate (remove the lock).

I've also occasionally found something under buttplates & inside patch boxes.

That design is usually referred to as a mule ear lock. If you can find some markings on the barrel, may even be on the bolton of the barrel, some one may be able to help you. Good luck.
Thanks, I'll pull it apart, as long as it complies. Looks like someone went wood glue crazy at some point, trying to repair a crack in the stock. (NOT me!)

I don’t think your gun is very old. Homemade muzzleloaders from the 1960’-1970’s can appear older with years of use. Need to take it apart to really study it.

I inherited this from a relative after they unexpectedly passed away, and have had it in my gun safe since then. Occasionally, I'll take it out, look it over, scratch my head and put it back.
I finally decided to ask...
I have NO idea what this is.
It appears to be old. has an odd 'side hammer' cap lock design?
It's very rough, and I'm guessing European?
No markings I could find.
Anyone have any info on it?
If it doesn't belong here, let me know and I'll delete it.
Thank You
I'd say the lock plate is 19th century, the wood looks really old as well, with artitechure of late 19th century. It may have been a standard caplock and someone converted it to a Mule ear. I don't see any attempt to age it, just a well used working gun. What's the bore diameter?
I don't see it as a valuable piece.

Please remember most pins are installed from the left side ( when barrel is facing away from you), and remove them from right to left.

On closer look there are no lock screws on the sideplate. Looks like 2 screws in the lock may attach it to the side plate. If the screw under the hammer arm is connecting it than a new slot needs to be cut in the screw. It looks like Years of battering from the hammer pounded the slot away. The rear screw is almost as bad.

Latest posts

Back