Quantcast

Mystery Hawken

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

sqqy14

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a proponent of not staining walnut, it's not necessary unless you want a really dark stock.
Cabela's Hawkens usually have some pretty nice wood.

Woodnbow

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a proponent of not staining walnut, it's not necessary unless you want a really dark stock.
Cabela's Hawkens usually have some pretty nice wood.
Me too, although I will die walnut at times and or stain and then fill the pores so that they pop a bit more than normal...

springfield art

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all. I recently picked up a neat project gun. It's a Hawken, half stock, with what looks to be a stainless barrel insert. I can't find any identification on it other than a bunch of proof marks. I can't find a good place to search markings on these, so I was hoping someone is familiar. Doesn't seem to be that old. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
The Italian proof codes for the Dates, is pair of letters in a box. Charts for Italian proof codes easily found in the 'net. It's always interesting to look up date of mfg. on a BP gun and see whence it came!

springfield art

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I redid a beat up TC Renegade stock, the first order of business was to strip the old finish off the stock completely. I used Kleen Cutter citris strip, two coats with scraping and washing off in between left me with completely bare wood. I steamed out all the dents with a wet washcloth and an an old steam iron.

I used hand rubbed Tru-Oil for a finish, many many coats, the end result came out really well. I did put an L&R RPL lock on the gun which was an adventure in itself.

View attachment 52930
I've had similar success with Citri Strip, like you outlined. Did it for a friend's Enfield musket repro, they often have that awful modern urethane on them. Came out nice! I try to keep water to a minimum as it will swell the wood; just use a moist cloth. Nice photo!

Phil Coffins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It kind of looks like smoke had condensed on the wood. Total take down and clean/strip is in order. You might even true up the lines a bit to make a real dandy rifle.

flashpoint

40 Cal
Reaction score
I redid a beat up TC Renegade stock, the first order of business was to strip the old finish off the stock completely. I used Kleen Cutter citris strip, two coats with scraping and washing off in between left me with completely bare wood. I steamed out all the dents with a wet washcloth and an an old steam iron.

I used hand rubbed Tru-Oil for a finish, many many coats, the end result came out really well. I did put an L&R RPL lock on the gun which was an adventure in itself.

View attachment 52930
Beautiful Job

Reaction score
I've actually been practicing with tru oil while waiting for the rifle to come in. I've got some spray on paint stripper to get the big stuff, then plan to hit it with some fine sandpaper to smooth out back out before the oil marathon begins. I want brown the barrel, but I'll have to experiment with it as I've never tried it. I was thinking of using the Birchwood Casey browning stuff, any recommendations?

gabedard

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I get good results from laurel mountain forge
At track of the wolf
Every barrel wants to react differently for me when it comes to browning-found if I’m patient it works out
😁

watopeka

36 Cal.
Reaction score
That is most interesting , could you give a me short idea on how you went about it, I’m very curious, it does give it a great look
thanks

Latest posts