• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My rifle project has just earned a name....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I’m not big on naming rifles and cars and such.
On occasion things do get named.

Throughout history many rifles both real and imagined and have been named.
Sweetlips from Kings Mountain
Boone’s Ticklicker
Cricket’s Old Betsy
Hawkeye’s Killdeer

Introducing....
Fumbelina....
F992B135-B44F-4DB5-A4A6-BB1134437B77.jpeg

I have been out of building for a while. This rifle set was bought years ago; really as a practice rifle. I wanted to do a patch boxed rifle.
Anyway I have fumbled through this one. Learning and relearning things.... making mistakes and recovering from them.

Fumbelina is going to make a nice gun but she’ll never be a great gun. I have already made too many mistakes for it to be a great gun.

Guns like Fumbelina are important.
Without Fumbelinas.....
You don’t get the Sweetlips.

I have a sweet one coming. Fumbelina is helping me a bunch.

I've been thinking about naming my rifles. I think I'll give them girls' names, though. Don't ask me why. Maybe because some of them are temperamental.

Boone’s Ticklicker
Cricket’s Old Betsy
Hawkeye’s Killdeer

Introducing....
Fumbelina....
View attachment 263891

I have been out of building for a while. This rifle set was bought years ago; really as a practice rifle. I wanted to do a patch boxed rifle.
Anyway I have fumbled through this one. Learning and relearning things.... making mistakes and recovering from them.

Fumbelina is going to make a nice gun but she’ll never be a great gun. I have already made too many mistakes for it to be a great gun.

Without Fumbelinas.....

Have you fired her from a bench?
If not I would not cast aspersions upon her until you see how she does. They often have personalities, and she may surprise you, because she is plain, and had construction problems. She may shoot like a darling.

Years ago at the "Governor's Rifle Match" here in Maryland, I saw a fellow with a clunky, self-done rifle. Some of the other shooters made wisecracks at him, and he was about to just pack up and leave, and I quietly suggested, even though I'd just met him, that he simply take some prizes home, instead of getting mad. I winked, and he gave me a slight smile, and nodded. Sure enough, it was ugly, but he sure shot it well. The wisecracks stopped after that....

LD

I set out to make a squirrel rifle. My own design, slim barrel in .36, back action lock, maple stock. One day my wife wanted to know how the project was going, but couldn't remember which small animal I intended to hunt. So when I came up from the basement one day she brightly asked "So how's the chicken rifle coming?"
I laughed for a good half-hour, and it's been the Chicken Rifle ever since.

One quiet calm mourning, I touched of my 12 bore rifle!

It sounded like rolling thunder thru the woods, hence the name "Ole Thunder" came to be.

None of my other guns have names.

Almost all of mine have names. Only one with a human name is my P53 that I used to shoot Yankees with. She's " Victoria ". Vicky to her friends.
My unmentionable is " Calico". She's a walnut stocked mix of blued and... armory bright.
My laminate stocked T/C Hawken is "Autumn".
I'm waiting on names for my two .50 flintlock Renegades.
My sole breechloader got her name one day when I crossed my thumb over the grip and crept up a wee bit. Recoil caused my thumb to, lightly, tap me on the nose.
I said " Did you just boop me on the nose?!"
Yup. She's "Boop".

Boone’s Ticklicker
Cricket’s Old Betsy
Hawkeye’s Killdeer

Introducing....
Fumbelina....
View attachment 263891

Without Fumbelinas.....

Good post! :thumb:

We all have our shortcomings (well most of us!) My 81 year old rifle-smith mentor/friend has told me several times: "it aint a mistake if ya can fix it"
Larry

Some of my pieces have been named, first blunderbuss I built "Isabella" the dark blunderbuss.
SUC54967 (2).JPG

Then I built a buccaneer musket, it's owner named him "Arvil"
00.jpg

There was the hand cannon for a friend "The Cannibuss"
1394127_585076738235455_164997817_n.jpg

More recently a swivel blunderbuss "The Royale, no cheese" after pulp fiction discussion on what to call a 1/4 pounder in Europe (4 oz ball).
IMG_2022-12-12-20-46-46-144.jpg

I'm sure other pieces I've built have been given names but these are the ones I know of.

Back