• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My rifle project has just earned a name....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plot twist......
I have restarted my apprenticeship. I have had a change of attitude concerning this project.

Fumbelina is going to make a nice rifle.
84DFFE07-9A18-471F-AA54-C3465896913A.jpeg

Unacceptable!!!
This is from setting the tang bolt at too acute an angle.
What was I thinking? I don’t know but somebody needs to take away my countersink.
2230B066-E07D-4DE0-B73E-E29DAC359642.jpeg

Fumbelina’s barrel on the operating suite.
E2D83984-3191-4CEB-A54C-895DBACDCB1A.jpeg

Yep...
My brothers car.
That one goes way back.
DC90E7A8-1E60-429F-BCF1-79CF4134D298.jpeg

All better now, like it never happened.
It even fit perfectly back into the inlet.
My brother welded up the trigger plate too.
Again, like it never happened.

There’s no excuse why Fumbelina cannot make a great rifle.
Mistakes can be overcome.
It’s a shame not to overcome them when you can.
Fumbelina is going to get my best effort.
If not, what’s the point?

Plot twist......
I have restarted my apprenticeship. I have had a change of attitude concerning this project.

Fumbelina is going to make a nice rifle.
View attachment 268249
Unacceptable!!!
This is from setting the tang bolt at too acute an angle.
What was I thinking? I don’t know but somebody needs to take away my countersink.
View attachment 268250
Fumbelina’s barrel on the operating suite.
View attachment 268251
Yep...
My brothers car.
That one goes way back.
View attachment 268252
All better now, like it never happened.
It even fit perfectly back into the inlet.
My brother welded up the trigger plate too.
Again, like it never happened.

There’s no excuse why Fumbelina cannot make a great rifle.
Mistakes can be overcome.
It’s a shame not to overcome them when you can.
Fumbelina is going to get my best effort.
If not, what’s the point?
best of luck with the rifle build, now show some more of that 70 Chevelle SS!!!
last count i have had 28 Chevelles since 1964. might say i am a nut for them. or just a nut!

Have you fired her from a bench?
If not I would not cast aspersions upon her until you see how she does. They often have personalities, and she may surprise you, because she is plain, and had construction problems. She may shoot like a darling.

Years ago at the "Governor's Rifle Match" here in Maryland, I saw a fellow with a clunky, self-done rifle. Some of the other shooters made wisecracks at him, and he was about to just pack up and leave, and I quietly suggested, even though I'd just met him, that he simply take some prizes home, instead of getting mad. I winked, and he gave me a slight smile, and nodded. Sure enough, it was ugly, but he sure shot it well. The wisecracks stopped afte

Have you fired her from a bench?
If not I would not cast aspersions upon her until you see how she does. They often have personalities, and she may surprise you, because she is plain, and had construction problems. She may shoot like a darling.

Years ago at the "Governor's Rifle Match" here in Maryland, I saw a fellow with a clunky, self-done rifle. Some of the other shooters made wisecracks at him, and he was about to just pack up and leave, and I quietly suggested, even though I'd just met him, that he simply take some prizes home, instead of getting mad. I winked, and he gave me a slight smile, and nodded. Sure enough, it was ugly, but he sure shot it well. The wisecracks stopped after that....

LD
My Fumbelina has a last name it’s.....
B
O
N
E
W
I
T
Z

Dave I’m going to do my best to make this a nice rifle. I’ve been studying a rifle by John Bonewitz.
I’m going to do my absolute best to do that name justice.

As much as I hate to, I’m scrapping the buttplate. I’m just not happy with it. I blew it on the screw. (That seems to be a theme with this rifle so fat) At least the lock bolts were done right.

It painful to scrap a part you have a lot of time and work in. It’s a lesson.
Hopefully it going to out well. I’ll post when I can.

I’m back in the shop. My gunsmith friend can hand inlet a swamped barrel in 8 hours.

I’m about 25 hours into hand inletting a 42” octagonal to round smoothbore barrel and I have a couple of more hours to go. It’s almost there.....

Working in a real shop gives me a real shop attitude.
If it ain’t right....
Fix it
If it can’t be fixed...
Replace it.
If it’s worse than that....
Start over.

Last edited:
best of luck with the rifle build, now show some more of that 70 Chevelle SS!!!
last count i have had 28 Chevelles since 1964. might say i am a nut for them. or just a nut!
It’s my brother’s car and that’s the only photo handy.
I will tell you some about it.

That car is an unusual car. It is a real SS but in an unusual configuration or it was from the factory.
My brother has changed that car so much over the years. It has had a hot 396 (402) to a 4 speed with 4.11s to 2.56s...
Right now it has. ‘64 283 in it just to move around.

I had a 70 Chevelle Malibu that I passed down to my brother.
On his first car date he was hit by kid in a ‘73 Satellite. It tore up that Malibu and I let my brother go on his date in my 72 Monte Carlo.
Gosh I miss tha Monte Carlo.
That was a sad trip driving the blue and white Malibu back to my parents house.
The back bumper was mashed way way into the trunk.
That car could be fixed now but then....
It was done for.
My mom stuck her guns and got a really fair settlement from the insurance company.
That’s when my brother found that SS.
He thought it was a clone or a fake SS. He honestly did and he talked the sellers down a little.
$1700 31 years ago.

Anyway he thought that the SS stuff was added. Come to find out it was factory.

It was a special order car.
It’s a 1970 Chevelle Malibu ordered with the SS package.
Door panels say Malibu but it has/had the floor shift automatic console and buckets of an SS. It also has the SS grille insert. Malibu fender emblem and the rear SS bumper pad. The gauge cluster was Chevelle Malibu not the round gauges of the Monte Carlo or SS.
It was a Malibu ordered with the SS package. From the factory it came with a 350.
It’s a pretty neat old car.
I can’t show more but here’s my Thunder Road car....
C9221079-F3CB-48F3-9958-F5DE410F490D.jpeg

It’s my brother’s car and that’s the only photo handy.
I will tell you some about it.

That car is an unusual car. It is a real SS but in an unusual configuration or it was from the factory.
My brother has changed that car so much over the years. It has had a hot 396 (402) to a 4 speed with 4.11s to 2.56s...
Right now it has. ‘64 283 in it just to move around.

I had a 70 Chevelle Malibu that I passed down to my brother.
On his first car date he was hit by kid in a ‘73 Satellite. It tore up that Malibu and I let my brother go on his date in my 72 Monte Carlo.
Gosh I miss tha Monte Carlo.
That was a sad trip driving the blue and white Malibu back to my parents house.
The back bumper was mashed way way into the trunk.
That car could be fixed now but then....
It was done for.
My mom stuck her guns and got a really fair settlement from the insurance company.
That’s when my brother found that SS.
He thought it was a clone or a fake SS. He honestly did and he talked the sellers down a little.
$1700 31 years ago.

Anyway he thought that the SS stuff was added. Come to find out it was factory.

It was a special order car.
It’s a 1970 Chevelle Malibu ordered with the SS package.
Door panels say Malibu but it has/had the floor shift automatic console and buckets of an SS. It also has the SS grille insert. Malibu fender emblem and the rear SS bumper pad. The gauge cluster was Chevelle Malibu not the round gauges of the Monte Carlo or SS.
It was a Malibu ordered with the SS package. From the factory it came with a 350.
It’s a pretty neat old car.
I can’t show more but here’s my Thunder Road car....
View attachment 268283
nice 51! 312 v8?
this was my last Chevelle. not this exact one. i lost all my old photos in a fire.
1699764622826.png

Back