• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my new pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe we have the same builder. Can anyone please tell me what you might know about him?

1709053870520.png

1709053940445.png

1709053964433.png

1709053984535.png

Post Script: Thanks Notchy Bob, that filled in a lot for me!

Last edited:
I believe we have the same builder. Can anyone please tell me what you might know about him?

View attachment 298904

View attachment 298908
View attachment 298910
View attachment 298911
Post Script: Thanks Notchy Bob, that filled in a lot for me!

very nice pistol, I actually prefer it in flintlock over percussion. If you will ever want to sell it PM me.

here's few threads dedicated to J Brown

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/jacki-brown.118896/

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/jackie-brown-smoothbores-any-good.38612/

very nice pistol, I actually prefer it in flintlock over percussion. If you will ever want to sell it PM me.

here's few threads dedicated to J Brown

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/jacki-brown.118896/

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/jackie-brown-smoothbores-any-good.38612/
She certainly does shoot beautifully. The lock is fast and sparks great. I could tell from the beginning this pistol was crafted by someone who really knew what they were doing. Years ago the man who sold it to me did so on the caveat of he didn't care how much I sent him each month as long as I sent him the agreed upon price. He was very kind to my son when he was very young watching him grow up shooting and throwing hawks. I really do appreciate your kind offer but this will go to my son and hopefully be passed down in generation after I'm long gone.

Please publish pictures of your gun if you will have a chance.
I didn't want to hijack this thread, so I started a new one with photos and comments about my fowling piece: Jackie Brown "Carolina Smoothbore"

You guys have some nice pistols! I think these are the first handguns I have seen from this maker. I really like his style.

Notchy Bob

I was able to make contact with Jackie Brown, and I sent him the first photo from post #1 of this thread. He responded, “Yes, sir, that is one of mine. If I just signed “Brown” on the barrel, it means it was sold in the white and the customer finished it.

Jackie added that he is still building a few guns, but he is not taking orders any more. I have heard of a number of well-established gun and horn-makers who are doing this, just building the pieces that interest them, “on spec,” and then putting those pieces up for sale. Recognized builders have no trouble selling their products. That way, they can build on their own timetable, and I imagine some clients can be troublesome with regard to custom orders.

Anyway, there’s confirmation of your builder!

Notchy Bob

There needs to be a documentary series made on those guys, for posterity; any chance of some state or Federal funding justification being that of preserving American historical crafts and skills ?

She certainly does shoot beautifully. The lock is fast and sparks great. I could tell from the beginning this pistol was crafted by someone who really knew what they were doing. Years ago the man who sold it to me did so on the caveat of he didn't care how much I sent him each month as long as I sent him the agreed upon price. He was very kind to my son when he was very young watching him grow up shooting and throwing hawks. I really do appreciate your kind offer but this will go to my son and hopefully be passed down in generation after I'm long gone.

Well done that Man, IMHO we all need to get our children and grandchildren "indoctrinated" and enthused in ML's and an appreciation of the associated history and craftsmanship thats inherent in above average pieces, accessories and accoutrements.

Thankfully I'm blessed with an adult daughter and 9 year old grandson who've an abiding interest in it all, maybe its a genetic thing; but I'm more pre-dispositioned to the way we bring them up.

Well done that Man, IMHO we all need to get our children and grandchildren "indoctrinated" and enthused in ML's and an appreciation of the associated history and craftsmanship thats inherent in above average pieces, accessories and accoutrements.

Thankfully I'm blessed with an adult daughter and 9 year old grandson who've an abiding interest in it all, maybe its a genetic thing; but I'm more pre-dispositioned to the way we bring them up.
I agree, it was really nice seeing him take such a liking to my son. When we would travel to a Rendezvous we knew there were always eyes on him out of our sight. We would get daily reports about what he was up to and the things he was doing during the day. I remember in the early mornings he would wake up and excitedly ask if he could "Go into town" which meant traders row for breakfast. I later found out his "networking" with them would get him extra portions for breakfast. So many of those older folks really take to those young kids. It was something we all really looked forward to a couple times a year attending those events.

I agree, it was really nice seeing him take such a liking to my son. When we would travel to a Rendezvous we knew there were always eyes on him out of our sight. We would get daily reports about what he was up to and the things he was doing during the day. I remember in the early mornings he would wake up and excitedly ask if he could "Go into town" which meant traders row for breakfast. I later found out his "networking" with them would get him extra portions for breakfast. So many of those older folks really take to those young kids. It was something we all really looked forward to a couple times a year attending those events.

Whenever I had the opportunity to attend the Rendezvous at Milmerran here in Queensland Australia, and other smaller gatherings (not often enough during my Army career) I was always struck with the sense of community and consideration folks there had for each other; it was like travelling back to an earlier era when folks were really what we should be.

My now adult daughter still talks about it (she was only a pre-teenager in those days) and wants to get back into it when her studies are done late next year. Thankfully my only grandson Archer (now 9 years old will get into it as well, I still have the 2 white canvas A frame Tents and awning, and complete period camp cooking tools, skillets etc. Its a worthy heritage to pass on generation to generation and valuable to instill the skills and attitude for like minded community folk, self reliance; and independent mindset IMO.

Latest posts

Back