• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was starting on a new horn awhile back, asked a question and was pointed to The Horners Bench for good advice (not saying I wouldn't get it here, but these guys focus on horns). For any of you who have horner questions, it is a good alternative source for The Muzzleloading Forum.

Here are a couple of views of the horn I was working on, after scrim, dyeing and antiquing. I know that a few, maybe more of you belong to both forums, like I do, so you may have already seen this. I started out with the intent of practicing scrim, doing bad and covering the horn with leather, to hide my practicing. Questioning now whether I will proceed with that or not. I may want to find a different shaped horn and do it on that. It really isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

LeatherHorn10.jpg

LeatherHorn9.jpg

:grin: :v

my mind, a bit dark. but that's just my personal preference and it would be presumptuous of me to try to impose my opinions on you.

i think the scrimwork is great; it would be a mistake to cover up your nice work with leather.

the horn looks good- don't hide it!

(just one guy's opinion, free and worth every penny)

Theres other forums?? :shocked2:

I duno Deano, I tried my hand at horn making, just not for me. From what I can see you did a hell of a job, better than I ever could do. :thumbsup:

It's always difficult for the artist to be satisfied with his work,,there will always be more to do or that flaw your eye's only see, and they compare the end work to others work..

You've got nothing to hide there man!

Your "practice" has turned out real purty :thumbsup:

Hey Deano, Good looking horn. The throat shape is interesting and your colors are right on- making it look old! Your scrim fits with the style of the horn so the overall package is very attractive. Nice JOB.
By the way what is the website for the Horners Bench? I googled it and can't find it.
Stonecove

Having trouble forwarding the web address of The Horners Forum; it goes forward with the Muzzleloader Forum in the address....tried it even using a private message and it still posts Muzzleloader in the web address. Seems I remember something about tying other forums in through Muzzleloader Forum as being a no-no. I think Claude is trying to tell me something.

Go into my profile and use my e-mail address to send a straight message to me, outside the forum and I will return the web site address of The Horners Bench.
:thumbsup:

I can't see the details on your scrim work so it's hard to say for sure but remember, most of us are our own worst critics. I'd recommend living with it for a while, maybe even do another one and see how that one goes. You can always cover this one later if need be.

Also, remember that losts of the originals were pretty funky in terms of artistic technique. What I can see looks real nice by the way!! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back