• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First horn made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the other day at the hawken classic I was able to pick up a couple polished horns. Figured for 15 a hour you can’t go wrong even if you do! So here is my first attempt at a powder horn. Still not finished but wanted to share. Body needs a final dye and age final plug fit and the staples attached using two staples front and back. I thought that this was a cool horn because you can use it right or left handed. Any thoughts or critiques are welcome!

Attachments

• 4872A55B-F603-48C7-8031-635768117A2A.jpeg
    4872A55B-F603-48C7-8031-635768117A2A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 2DCD75A3-FFF1-43CD-9B2D-D2EE0E359CF4.jpeg
    2DCD75A3-FFF1-43CD-9B2D-D2EE0E359CF4.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 32A069FB-0AA1-4B23-B0B9-D2F4717D3B73.jpeg
    32A069FB-0AA1-4B23-B0B9-D2F4717D3B73.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FA52FCC2-BF7A-42E9-B5FA-1D809E0DAC94.jpeg
    FA52FCC2-BF7A-42E9-B5FA-1D809E0DAC94.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 9EFEDCEE-D8A8-4684-B5C4-BD5AE335F45B.jpeg
    9EFEDCEE-D8A8-4684-B5C4-BD5AE335F45B.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • 275961C2-BDD8-4314-8596-BB5E89B33ADD.jpeg
    275961C2-BDD8-4314-8596-BB5E89B33ADD.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 88958F9A-6092-414E-B097-0419B24EE277.jpeg
    88958F9A-6092-414E-B097-0419B24EE277.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Very nice looking horn. Real nice job for a first horn. I would be happy to carry it. I have a couple of horns I am working my courage up to make an attempt at engraving on.

Good work on shaping the horn- very nice carving.
On your next one, don’t be afraid to engrave a bit deeper, fill the lines with India Ink with a fine steel calligraphy nib and your artwork will stand out nicely.
Keep going!
Do you use a fine calligraphy nib to do the engraving? I was using a hobby knife and felt like I had to use a bunch of strength just to get that deep.

So the other day at the hawken classic I was able to pick up a couple polished horns. Figured for 15 a hour you can’t go wrong even if you do! So here is my first attempt at a powder horn. Still not finished but wanted to share. Body needs a final dye and age final plug fit and the staples attached using two staples front and back. I thought that this was a cool horn because you can use it right or left handed. Any thoughts or critiques are welcome.
"The other day"?!?!?!!!!!!
The other day?!

Are you telling us you did all that in a few days for your first horn?
Dang! That's pretty great.

Can you please indulge us with some of your choices of scrim?
I'm particularly interested in why you chose 1773. I don't think I've seen another "Tea Party" horn that I can recall.
So many people would have chosen 1775, 1776, or a year from the F&I it is interesting to see a different year.

Do you use a fine calligraphy nib to do the engraving? I was using a hobby knife and felt like I had to use a bunch of strength just to get that deep.
No- I use a sharp nail to engrave and then use the pen to fill the lines. This will give you more pronounced lines and they won’t ever wear off.

So the other day at the hawken classic I was able to pick up a couple polished horns. Figured for 15 a hour you can’t go wrong even if you do! So here is my first attempt at a powder horn. Still not finished but wanted to share. Body needs a final dye and age final plug fit and the staples attached using two staples front and back. I thought that this was a cool horn because you can use it right or left handed. Any thoughts or critiques are welcome!
You have more talent than one person deserves! I like your horn.

Awesome work!! Please give us some close ups of your scrimshaw
Nice horn!
Kevin

"The other day"?!?!?!!!!!!
The other day?!

Are you telling us you did all that in a few days for your first horn?
Dang! That's pretty great.

Can you please indulge us with some of your choices of scrim?
I'm particularly interested in why you chose 1773. I don't think I've seen another "Tea Party" horn that I can recall.
So many people would have chosen 1775, 1776, or a year from the F&I it is interesting to see a different year.
I was lucky enough to sneak away to the hawken classic on Saturday, was hoping to shoot but unfortunately the shooting was rained out. But anyway bought the horn from powder horns and more and wanted to make a horn. Got to cracking on it Sunday and worked for a few hours getting the rough shaping down. The past couple days I messed with it during my down time at work and this is what I came up with.

Why the tea party? I don’t really know other than I hadn’t seen one before. I love the old clipper ships also. I figured it could have been probable to have on a horn? I am glad you were able to determine it was the tea party from my chicken scratch!!

Thank you for the complements! I can’t wait to finish this one up and do some more.

A really nice horn, I like that style. Don't get me wrong, I love a beautiful horn that's done up nice, like fine art. Hope to be blessed to own a Pathfinder horn someday, but I like the look of 'average guy' stuff, simple guns, simple pouches and horns with scrimshaw that looks like it was done by the owner sitting next to his fire at night after a long day. Doesn't mean it looks shabby, not at all but just not refined. Great job!

I was lucky enough to sneak away to the hawken classic on Saturday, was hoping to shoot but unfortunately the shooting was rained out. But anyway bought the horn from powder horns and more and wanted to make a horn. Got to cracking on it Sunday and worked for a few hours getting the rough shaping down. The past couple days I messed with it during my down time at work and this is what I came up with.

Why the tea party? I don’t really know other than I hadn’t seen one before. I love the old clipper ships also. I figured it could have been probable to have on a horn? I am glad you were able to determine it was the tea party from my chicken scratch!!

Thank you for the complements! I can’t wait to finish this one up and do some more.
It was the odd year that gave it away, combined with the ship, both made the "bales" make sense. But mostly the year.....
Everyone and their cousin does, "1776," or maybe the occasional 1775, along with some of the F&I War years or the occasional other Revolutionary War year.
To see a year well within the flintlock period that isn't necessarily associated with one of the major wars is refreshing.

And you did a great job, especially for your 1st time, in such a short time. And you didn't pick easy subjects.

It was the odd year that gave it away, combined with the ship, both made the "bales" make sense. But mostly the year.....
Everyone and their cousin does, "1776," or maybe the occasional 1775, along with some of the F&I War years or the occasional other Revolutionary War year.
To see a year well within the flintlock period that isn't necessarily associated with one of the major wars is refreshing.

And you did a great job, especially for your 1st time, in such a short time. And you didn't pick easy subjects.
Thank you for the kind words!

Latest posts

Back