• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New Bronze 3 Pounder!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Youngblood

40 Cal
Reaction score
My new Gillmor Ordnance full size, full bored 3 pounder bronze gun (2.91 inch)
I got the balls from Paulson Bros 2.85 inch. They make them for their 32 pounder grape shot loads.
This is the Congrieve model Verbruggen type. I could not afford a proper field carriage at this time so i had Mr Gillmor make a navy carriage for it. I love it!
38A668B3-E599-4AA3-B507-225942334D9A.jpeg
4C800AE6-98CA-4D14-B295-1E600F590AB4.jpeg
534EE13C-25E9-42E6-A11E-66A54461BDA8.png

Last edited:
Just a guess on weight but about
225-250lbs or so.
42 inches tip to tip.
Gun metal bronze 88-10-2.
No sights.
I've done some work with cannons, typically using silicone bronze to retain features.
Here is a small one I've been working on, finished weight hopefully will be sub 200
IMG_20150505_072604 (1).jpg

IMG_20150505_072213.jpg

I just got it a couple days ago. I have not shot it yet. Aint got any implements but i have everything else. I took a mop handle and stuck a paint roller on the end, its kinda lose in the bore but kinda works.

Way back when I was young, I was a member of an NSSA group. I was 15, and the group was "The Landing Party off the USS Constellation", a sister ship of the USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides".
We all shot 1861 Springfields, got pretty good with one - no tremors in a teen!
One of the members worked at Anacostia, and with their equipment, but his time, made a replica of a 6-pounder Naval Cannon. He used a section of barrel from a 3" 50 cal naval gun, mounted on the regular Navy carriage.
We fired it at several of the area target shoots (Washington, DC), using about 1 lb of powder and a cement-filled beer can. They were steel back then, and we used some sort of heavy cloth as a patch. Targets were at 1,000 yards, and sometimes we even hit one!

Back