• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sterling Silver Griebeauval 12 Pounder model

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zane Palmer

32 Cal
Reaction score
CRW_0278.jpg

I made this model a few years ago and have made some since then. I went to Paris to visit an original gun at one of their museums which was very interesting. There is about 1.5kg of sterling silver in this model and it takes me around 4 months to make. Most of the parts are lost wax castings and all finished by hand. The wood is African Black wood and is harder than ebony and polishes better too. The last gun that I made I gave it a 24 carrot gold finish which came out really good.

CRW_9802 (3).jpg
CRW_9814 (3).jpg

The limber fits perfectly with this model. The drawings came from a book that according to the owner was liberated during the 2nd World War and was commissioned by Napoleon 3 for the King of Denmark. All in all a nice model. Next I am busy making a 8 Inch rifled Dahlgren Gun which is the same as found at Charlson - Patriots point on a pivot carriage. The first one is made from bronze but I would like to make it in sterling silver also. That is also a cool model. I also am in the process of making a British 13 pounder WW1 gun. All this work and I have never fired it!
CRW_9819 (3).jpg
CRW_9827 (2).jpg

Glad you like it. I need to do an American Civil War gun. I have been slack on that side as mostly British influence in this side of the world. I really love the 3 inch ordnance rifle and think that would be a good model to do in silver. What do you think? If that is your model firing on your profile pic then you also make a fine model, so don't be hard on yourself.

View attachment 103474

I made this model a few years ago and have made some since then. I went to Paris to visit an original gun at one of their museums which was very interesting. There is about 1.5kg of sterling silver in this model and it takes me around 4 months to make. Most of the parts are lost wax castings and all finished by hand. The wood is African Black wood and is harder than ebony and polishes better too. The last gun that I made I gave it a 24 carrot gold finish which came out really good.

View attachment 103475View attachment 103476

The limber fits perfectly with this model. The drawings came from a book that according to the owner was liberated during the 2nd World War and was commissioned by Napoleon 3 for the King of Denmark. All in all a nice model. Next I am busy making a 8 Inch rifled Dahlgren Gun which is the same as found at Charlson - Patriots point on a pivot carriage. The first one is made from bronze but I would like to make it in sterling silver also. That is also a cool model. I also am in the process of making a British 13 pounder WW1 gun. All this work and I have never fired it!
View attachment 103477View attachment 103478
WOW!

Yes you are right the line between art and cannon is a bit vague. I would like to make a gun like this one which is at the Museum da Invalids in Paris. (hope the spelling is right) This one is made from ivory and has silver, gold, diamonds and gem stones. Really cool little gun. Pity it is locked away in a museum. Elephant ivory is a problem but hippo ivory is not as far as the law goes, but it is far more challenging to work with. Each little bolt head on this model has a ruby or sapphire or some gem set into it. I took these pics back in 91 with a little Kodac camera without a flash as photos were NOT allowed. Crazy people!

Now this is a stunning model for the super rich.

Captur32e.PNG

Captur41e.PNG
Capture12.PNG
Capture13.PNG
Capture21.PNG
Capture22.PNG
Capture24.PNG

Absolutely stunning! Nothing I can say would express how much I like it. WOW

What scale is it? What size bore?

Latest posts

Back