• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My mind is made up but what fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting rid of all firearms and settling on only 5 and they are all going to be bp. 1 hunting rifle, 1 sxs shotgun, 1 fowler, 2 pistols (one for hunting one for protection).

My rifle will be a Pedersolie Missouri River Hawken in .50cal and maple wood.

My sxs shotgun will be a Pedersolie in 10 gage or a possible 12 of high quality.

I know nothing about fowler but I need one for small game such as rabbit, squire and the such. I want something that shoots shot and ball and is very accurate and not extremely long. What would fit this need.

My first pistol will be a Pietta 1851 in .44 cal with long 7.5 inch barrel for hunting.
My second pistol will be a Pietta 1851 in.44 cal but only a 3 inch barrel for protection.

After this I will never buy another gun unless one breaks and can not be fixed.

What fowler suggestions do you have and why. Something nice as it will be my only one.

If given a choice, I would not use a BP revolver for protection...would opt for a modern gun.

A trade gun or shorter English style Fowler might be a good choice, but with a SxS shotgun why not just use smaller shot and a lighter load?

Do you want suggestions for specific production guns, or general types, available kits and custom guns?

Last edited:
Sounds like the OP is not a builder, so many of the better Fowler’s are out of the question unless purchased from a custom builder. This based on choices mentioned.

I can't imagine living in a world without cartridge guns.
There has been man on this earth for over 10,000 years and cartridge guns have only been around for the last 175 years. Most of this world's generations have lived without them so I guess I can get by without them and all the hate and fear of the government trying to take them. We live in a world where people worship the right but give no attention to the Creator who gave us the right and then complain that they are loosing their rights.
If given a choice, I would not use a BP revolver for protection...would opt for a modern gun.

A trade gun or shorter English style Fowler might be a good choice, but with a SxS shotgun why not just use smaller shot and a lighter load?

Do you want suggestions for specific production guns, or general types, available kits and custom guns?
I have lived 55 years on this planet without ever having a need for a "modern gun" and I am sure I can get by in my last years without one too. The good book talks about "the patient of the saints". Look it up and maybe learn.

People say fowlers are ment for smaller game so i will get the correct tool for the job. Also i am limmiting my arsenal to a limmited amount. Please let me have as many as i can justify.

Sounds like the OP is not a builder, so many of the better Fowler’s are out of the question unless purchased from a custom builder. This based on choices mentioned.
No I am not a builder.

Well over 10,000.

And don't think your muzzleloaders are safe.

Plenty of states trying to put muzzleloaders and cap n ballers on the 4473.

Hubba Hubba Hubba

Attachments

• qzchzmav.png
    qzchzmav.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I’m kinda of the thought. That if I have a good fowler. I wouldn’t need no side by side. Never thought of a cap and ball pistolia as a hunting gun. But sure could be done. I do agree on a rifle gun. If not a custom gun. Go kibler colonial 58. It is a game getter. And on self defense. Yea I’d go modern. Sig 9. Or/ and for home defense a Remington express 20. No reason to be period if we is in a defense mode. I would think a small cal rifle also. 36/40. Easy on lead and powder, kills much

I'm getting rid of all firearms and settling on only 5 and they are all going to be bp. 1 hunting rifle, 1 sxs shotgun, 1 fowler, 2 pistols (one for hunting one for protection).

My rifle will be a Pedersolie Missouri River Hawken in .50cal and maple wood.

My sxs shotgun will be a Pedersolie in 10 gage or a possible 12 of high quality.

I know nothing about fowler but I need one for small game such as rabbit, squire and the such. I want something that shoots shot and ball and is very accurate and not extremely long. What would fit this need.

My first pistol will be a Pietta 1851 in .44 cal with long 7.5 inch barrel for hunting.
My second pistol will be a Pietta 1851 in.44 cal but only a 3 inch barrel for protection.

After this I will never buy another gun unless one breaks and can not be fixed.

What fowler suggestions do you have and why. Something nice as it will be my only one.
Bob, since you already have Pedersolis and are not a builder I'd suggest trying to locate a Pedersoli Trade Gun in .20 ga /.62 cal. Another option for a better fowler would be to contact Rob Miller, @Rob M. He builds excellent Trade Guns that would probably become your favorite.

There has been man on this earth for over 10,000 years and cartridge guns have only been around for the last 175 years. Most of this world's generations have lived without them so I guess I can get by without them and all the hate and fear of the government trying to take them. We live in a world where people worship the right but give no attention to the Creator who gave us the right and then complain that they are loosing their rights.

I have lived 55 years on this planet without ever having a need for a "modern gun" and I am sure I can get by in my last years without one too. The good book talks about "the patient of the saints". Look it up and maybe learn.

People say fowlers are ment for smaller game so i will get the correct tool for the job. Also i am limmiting my arsenal to a limmited amount. Please let me have as many as i can justify.

No I am not a builder.
Are you giving up your car, too? Those have been around even less time.

I have got to rethink my fowler thought. I thought fowler were small smothered in like.45 cal I did not realize they were 20 gage. I may just find somebody to make a curly maple stock for a Seneca I have and just hunt small stuff in .36 cal.

Are you giving up your car, too? Those have been around even less time.

Yes I have one Car but 6 honda four wheelers. If it wasn't for my car being a Honda I may have shot it and moved on to nothing but 4 wheelers.

My goodness, he’s not asking you guys to give up your cartridge guns, who cares what he decides for himself or what his reasoning is?

Sorry thought when people post such things we are looking for a round about thought on the matter. Not posting to just make a statement

I gave up guns years ago. Every month there were a dozen magazines telling me how I am in desperate need of their latest writings. Got too expensive and too much hate worrying about when our government was going to take them.

I thought our modern weapon is video them on our cell phones and then shame them over and over on YouTube.

Latest posts

Back