• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Kentucky Deer Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son-in-law and I were fortunate to be invited to hunt a private farm in Kentucky. It was like a dream come true for me. I've always heard of that deer there from my wife's cousins and the huge deer they get. It was the muzzleloader hunt so we headed there with our flintlocks. The farm had all the signs of a lot of big bucks. the first evening two deer came out of the corn field that I was hunting next to. One was a 6 pt. I whistled and he stopped with a good side shot. I pulled up, aimed and let it fly. When it took off I had first thought I'd missed. Then I went to look for sign and saw a good blood trail. I followed the blood then heard 5 shots from a modern gun. When I came to a fence I knew that I was at the edge of the property that I could hunt. When I went to that neighbor's place to ask permission to look for my deer, I saw it hanging from a tree next to the driveway. I was allowed to continue the blood trail it led to a spot where a deer had layed down and bled. He admitted that he shot it when it was down 5 times. I just told him congradulations on his deer, shook his hand and left. At least the landowners who owned the land that we hunted on,said that we could come back and hunt on their land anytime. There's always next year. I was using my .50 custom Bucks Co. with 80gr. fff.

Hey, congratulations on your hunt! It went really well, right up to the point of the neighbour shooting it. But, some good came out of it, hey! Good luck hunting there in the future!

Can you hunt there again this season? Is it a distance and time constraint, or a tag constraint?

I congratulate you on handling that situation in a mature manner. That is definitely a tough one to swallow. Good luck next time around and I hope you fill your freezer.

Thanks. It's about a 7 hr. drive for me, but because of my work schedule, I doubt I'll be able to this year. There was reasons I didn't contest it. One was I was a guest of the neighbor and my actions would reflect on those good folks. Another is I figured that they looked like they might have needed it more that I did. But all in all, I was pleased with the shot I had made with my flinter and trailing it to the end, which was about 100 yds being a shoot through both lungs.

Good for you on your follow up/follow through on what you first thought was a miss, and for handling the ensuing situation so well. I would like yo know why he would shoot a down deer 5 times?

I really don't know, but it had 5 holes in it's rump and I counted 5 shots when I was tracking it. Then there was a larger hole on both sides behind the shoulder where I had shot it. It took awhile to get the truth out of him,( not by painful means). At first he said that his wife shot it, then he tried to explain the 5 rapid shots, which didn't add up. I didn't argue with him, I just let him talk. A deer isn't enough to get into a feud about. Actually, I'm not sure I wanted it after it had all those hoses in it's hind quarters. Maybe he figured I'd be looking for it and wouldn't want it after seeing it. He said he heard me shoot. Anyways, I had a great hunt in a land that I wanted to hunt in for many years. I got to relax in a Kentucky hardwoods away from work. I made a good shot and downed a buck. Spent some time with my son-in-law whom I got into flintlocks,too. Los of memories to talk about.

You handled it well, but that guy has some major problems from not knowing hunting etiquette to being a slob hunter who pumps a downed deer full of lead in the meatiest part, to being a lier. :youcrazy: You cannot win with someone like that anyway.

So congrats on doing everything right from the shot to how you handled the situation. :hatsoff: I hope you're able to get back sometime and get yourself a good one.

Hunsfoot 1 said:
Anyways, I had a great hunt in a land that I wanted to hunt in for many years. I got to relax in a Kentucky hardwoods away from work. I made a good shot and downed a buck. Spent some time with my son-in-law whom I got into flintlocks,too. Los of memories to talk about.
Sounds like win-win, to me. And you didn't have to process a shot-up deer. I predict here will be other hunts with better outcomes, hopefully in Kentucky. We don't usually treat our guests that way. :haha:

Spence

It's a shame that people have to be greedy and claim someone else's deer. Maybe next time it will be different.

My brother and I had to race some people to the elk I shot so we could keep them from putting their tag on it in Wyoming years ago. Neither of the others had a gun .. just a tag! :cursing:

Brokennock said:
Good for you on your follow up/follow through on what you first thought was a miss, and for handling the ensuing situation so well. I would like yo know why he would shoot a down deer 5 times?
Total idiot. Every time the bullet hit it moved so he shot it again.

To the OP good job you handled the situation correctly. To make you feel better he ruined the eating anyway.

Many years ago on a deer hunt in western Va. a friend hunting with me shot and killed a small buck which ran about 75 yds. and fell dead at the feet of a very old gent. who claimed it. when my friend came up the old guy says "I been huntin all my life and this is the first deer I ever killed". My friend walked away. Later that night a younger fellow walked into our camp and asked if my friend had shot the deer. At a positive answer the younger man said "well Dad really thought he shot it even though he had not fired a shot, if you want it, it is yours". My friend said "I wouldn't claim a deer that an old guy like that killed as his first, it's his".

Good side is,,you can still hunt this season if you can find the time.Look at it this way you provided meat to a needy family for the winter,now don't you feel better!!.
I figure anyone needing meat that bad,just ask I'd give them the deer and drag it out for them.
I don't hunt for the meat I hunt because it's time to be alone in the woods,reflect on what I have been given and give thanks that I am at a place in my life where it's all good.
You did good, friend your welcome in my camp anytime.

I am a deputy here in KY and while I do not deer hunt any more this weekend was early muzzle load only season. Youth Season (with modern gun) was the weekend before that. Sorry about your experience, and if never should have happened since modern gun was not legal for that early season.

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. I know that there will be other deer. That's all it was, just a deer. Actually, I expected to get one the next night, but it wasn't to be. There is really a lot of deer there. Like I said, the owners invited us back any time. Maybe it made an impression on them, too. The next night was the first time that we met them. We drove the with their son. Sure were very nice guests. We weren't far from the Licking river and salt licks. I know that the longhunters and early settlers were through that area. I loved it.

Back