• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Granddaughter's 1st Deer ... on Thanksgiving morning.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patocazador

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I drew a permit for a small WMA near my son's house for a muzzleload deer hunt on Thanksgiving weekend.
I took my granddaughter and we pulled all the gear in about a mile the day before. On opening morning she shot her first deer 15 minutes after legal shooting time. Due to the smoke cloud hanging in the air after the shot, I couldn't tell if she hit it or which direction it ran.

We waited 40 minutes before climbing down and she said she had seen it run quartering away. I searched for blood, hair, a running track and found nothing. She went over to a dim dirt trail and started walking down it, looking for blood. 10 minutes later she shouted, "I found blood!"

I ran over and saw that she had. We followed the trail another 30 yards and found the deer dead in a pool of foamy blood. We back-tracked the blood and it had only started 10 yards before she found the trail. The .50 cal. PRB in front of 45 gr. of 3f entered just in front of the left rear leg and exited through the right lung just behind the right front leg. It traveled ~110 yards before laying down and bleeding out.

She is a very happy 9-year-old.

She didn't care for the gutting process but she made sure that I sawed off the skull cap with the antlers. The 9-y.o. girl next door got permission from her dad to watch the skinning and butchering process. She immediately went in and asked her dad to take her deer hunting.

Congrats to you both. That is a memory she will treasure for the rest of her life. :hatsoff:

I cannot tell you how much a story like this brings a huge smile to my face!!! :)

Congratulations to you both, but especially to your grand daughter for not only making an excellent shot (she must know something about shot placement on deer quartering away) but also finding first blood! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

What a great smile she has and with good reason. This will be a cherished memory for both of you. The 9 year old neighbor wanting to get started is just icing on the cake. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Jeff

"she must know something about shot placement on deer quartering away"

I think she was aiming for the shoulder and it started to move away or she jerked the trigger.

Probably, it was beginner's luck. :grin:

Now this is the kind of threads I love too see. Congrats to the both of you :hatsoff:

i really enjoy seeing pictures and hearing hunting stories and this is one that makes all the rest come second. Way to go!

Good shot! but she is to clean :grin: ya have to put a line of blood on each cheek when you shoot your first deer.

She's too fast for me at my age. :redface:
She did have blood on her hands though from putting the heart into a latex glove to keep it clean. She loves fried deer heart.
(You can see the glove in her right hand while she's next to the deer cart.)

Congratulations to you both! Good job on the trailing, too. My kids were always very enthusiastic to find the deer, and they are better at it than me or my wife.

My wife and daughter are my primary hunting companions. We all have our favorite spots, but stay in touch with walkie talkies.

Teaching girls to hunt is extremely important, as people pay more attention when a woman defends hunting as a great (hobby, sport, passion) and a family tradition.

Congratulations to the 9 year old granddaughter!
Congrats to you!...That's outstanding!
We need more of this to pass the torch!
Thanks for sharing.... enjoy the venison.
Those antlers will mean lots in the years to come. :v

Great job on the hunt, the tracking and bringing the neighbor kid into the fold. You guys will treasure this hunt for ever.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :thumbsup:

A truely great field report :hatsoff:
Well done you guys :hatsoff:
Most boys can't shoot a 22 as good as this young lady can shoot a flintlock :bow:

Brit's.

Back