• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First T/C

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowpoke1955

58 Cal.
Reaction score
After all these years of shooting black powder, I've never shot a T/C Hawkens. I have two .54 Lyman GPRs, one cap and one flint, and one Pedersoli Blue Ridge .45 flint. I saw a .54 T/C Hawkens on one of the aution sites and placed a bid for the heck of it and won. Paid just over $200 for it. When it arrived, I was taken by the excellent condition of the rifle. No wear on the barrel. No dings or scratches on the stock. Bore looked like it was new. Then I saw IT. The barrel was stamped .50 cal., not .54. I called the seller about this problem. He offered a full refund, but after thinking about the fine condition of rifle, I decided to keep it. It's a fine rifle for a great price. It's a little shorter and lighter than the GPR, but with conicals, should make a good pig gun.

Even if it isn't exactly what you wanted, IMO you did get a good price for a TC in that condition.

It also will fill the gap you had before. Now you have a .45, a .50 and two .54 cal rifles. What more could a man want?
OK, a nice .32, .36, .40 and .58! :grin:

As many have found, it also does a good job with roundballs if you patch it fairly tightly.

I think you did the right thing to keep it.
If you would have returned it you would always be asking yourself, "I wonder how well it would have shot?", and saying things like, "Darn! I should have kept it. If I didn't like it I could always get my money back but if I did like it I could have kept it. Now I'll never know."

By doing what you did, now you will know. :)

Have fun with your new gun. :)
zonie :)

you did OK, I just got a New Englander )smoothbore 12 ga also) and gonna use the .50 on hog (with REAL slug)

Sounds like you got a good deal. The T/C Hawken is a fine muzzleloader. I too prefer a .54 caliber, but I have a .50 T/C Hawken flinter, and it is a great shooter with a PRB. I would not part with it. I think that after you shoot yours you will feel the same. :grin:

Rebel and I went to the range today, and I worked up some loads for my new (used) Hawken 54. I was all over the paper until Rebel asked me to try a heavy patch he was using. Not sure of the thickness, but it was much tighter than mine.This is the result at about 30 yrds.I had heard they liked tight loads, and it sure looks like they do. Enjoy your 50![url] http://www.picturedot.com/FetchImageJPG.asp?ImageType=P&ImageFormat=L&ImageID=157482[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Brett, problem was clear when i saw what was left of NW's patches. They were burned to nothing but some ragged edge pieces. I had him try some of my #40 drill cloth. Problem solved. He has a darn good shootin' rifle now. Only problem is now he don't want to trade it to me for my Mt rifle. :rotf:

I'm a keepin mine!is that the one you had for sale a short time back?
Need to get mine out and "get to know it" again. the .40 has kinda taken hold of me, but cost me a few targets as well!

I had two of them and sold the one with the shortened barrel. I am thinking about selling this one now though. I want to get another smoothbore.

Sounds like you did real good on that rifle. I also have a TC Hawken in 50 in the same condition, and paid just a little more but not much. Mine likes the Hornaday 385 grain HP great plains bullets with 90 grains of triple seven.

Back