• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingsax26

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all, I am brand new to this forum so bear with me . I am in the process of purchasing my first flintlock rifle and i am completely confounded by the choices prices and what not. I own a T/c hawken and a traditions Kentucky kit rifle. The Kentucky rifle shoots and function very well However putting it together left alot to be desired. I was thinking of getting the same rifle in a flintlock kit ( the price is right) any suggestions or previous experience with this rifle? HHHEELLPP

You will probably be dissapointed. The factory kits are usually imports and the locks can be very sorry. A percussion lock pretty much just has to slam down on a cap for igintion. But a flint lock has to be of good quality, in several aspects, to perform properly.
Tell us more about the kit you are considering. And do review your budget. You might be able to get a nice rifle made of quality parts from one of the semi-custom builders.

I would recommend staying away from the traditions kentucky.While the percusions are serviceable(I own several cva kentuckys,same basic gun) the flintlock will probably discourage you from flinters.I would recommend picking up a used TC if you are familiar with the caplock. After being away from flintlocks for a long while I picked up a used white mountain carbine for $200 to get back in the groove.After a little fooling with it its downright dependable and I shoot it as good as my percussion guns.I now have 2 better quality flinters,but still usually grab the WMC to hunt with.If you decide flints aren't for you or you progress you can always get your money back if you keep it clean.I sure meant to move on from the $200 gun,but it just feels right and as of now can't part with it.I should pass it on to someone new to flintlocks to keep the chain going.

Welcome to the forum, Bryon. I'm afraid it is correct that the import flint locks leave a lot to be desired. Actually it's more like a coin toss; sometimes you will get a good one that works just fine and the next one won't work.

A good approach may be to check the "For Sale" adds on this and other forums. Sometimes you can get a really fine flintlock by an excellent builder this way and the price is in the same ball park as an import. Check out TVM(uzzleloading)[[email protected]]. You can also give them a call. They have built several custom flintlocks for me that cost hardly more than an imported "off-the-shelf" gun. Any help you need you can get right here.

My first flinter was one I converted from percussion. It was a 1980's CVA Kentucky rifle kit. As percussion I had al kinds of issues with the lock so I got a CVA flintlock assy made my own touch hole liner and she still shoots good to this day. This I done back in 1988.

i appreciate all the advice from you guys. from the sounds of it i guess im better off spending a bit more up front. where do i find the "semi custom " rifles? and what is an appropriate price rasnge for them? i have looked on the internet but all i find are really beutiful custom rifles that are no where near my price range. besides id be afraid to take a 2,000 $$ rifle out of the house lol but i also seen very basic "poor boy rifles" that are the same price as fancy rifles. are there some makers or models that you guys would reccomend?

If you have a TC precussion, I suggest you get the same gun in flint.
Here is my rating of the commonly found guns.

1. TC Hawken
2. Lyman GPR
9. Traditions
10. CVA

You can swap the order on number 9 and 10 if you want to!
Also I would not buy a custom or semi-custom until you try flintlocks.
This is an easy way to make a big mistake. Long barreled guns are not
every bodies cup of tea.

agreed! but fortunatley for me i already own and shoot a tradition percussion kentucky rifle i actually sold my inline after shooting it ! I already know i like long guns...I checked out T/C they make nice guns but I dont really want a hawken ...I really want a kentucky style rifle i think

I would reccomended any of the Pedersoli rifles ,I believe they are available as kits and though imports they are safe and quality and very good looking,the Lyman GPR in a flint kit is also safe reliable though I think Pedersoli's look better,they are also imports,look into Dixie Gun works offerings also.

I understand Byron, but I still strongly suggest you try a long barreled gun before you lay down the cash. Anything over 30”-32” needs to be tried out. I didn't and I learned the expensive way.
The gun really changes as the barrel gets longer.

ok so ive done some looking and googled the hell out of my computer. I amthinking of either a t/c hawken or a Lyman GPR. I didnt really see any quality rifle that i liked in the " quality Import" category as far as a kentucky rifle goes.Are there any pros vs. cons between the 2 rifles? I honestly dont really care for the look of the t/c and i am really leaning towards the Lyman GPR (i was thinking of getting a kit) but if theres a good reason to switch ....im all ears

I got my Pedersoli Frontier, slightly used, right out of the classifieds on this forum. Same gun as Cabela's Blue Ridge, I'm very pleased so far with it being my first flinter. I was drawn to it because of the full stock and more traditional look. The T/Cs are great guns but their appearance is more modern to me. I've heard nothing but good things about the Lymans, but don't like all the writing on the barrels.

My take is this;TC,s are the strongest but leave much to be desired in historic looks,but ,they are also handiest in woods and reliable.I own one with a.50and a.54bbl
Lyman's are well made strong and safe,they(GPR)come with a slow twist for patched ball and out of the box are ready to go.I like them ,I also own one in .50 cal.flint
Pedersoli's though last on the list are not last in my heart,I also own one ,soon maybe two.I think they are the beauty queens of the three and the most historic looking,mine is the exact same thing as a blue ridge in .36 it is a kicking squirrel gun ,and I'm looking at a .45.
Any of these could,I believe, be had in a kit all reasonably priced.

Bryon said:
I honestly dont really care for the look of the t/c and i am really leaning towards the Lyman GPR (i was thinking of getting a kit) but if theres a good reason to switch ....im all ears

It looks like to me you answered your question yourself. I am good with the selection of a GPR and it will not cost you too much to get your hat in the ring. It isn't as good as the TC but it can be with a little help. :thumbsup:

IMHO, I would pass on the Pedersoli/Cabela's Blueridge model(s). Barresl is too long and the lock is very suspect for a first timer. Go with the GPR. :grin:

Well I would like to thank everyonw for there input...i just went down to t he store today and ordered my Lyman GPR. I ordered it in kit form so ill ahve to post some pics when im done building it . Thanks again to everyone :grin:

I'm sure you will be happy with your new GPR.

When you start to build it, go to the Gunbuilders Bench section of the forum.

There you will find dozens of GPR's others have built and you can read their questions and the answers.
If you have any building questions just post them in that forum and they will be answered.
We have some of the best gun builders around who will be happy to help you.

Good choice,I'm more than happy with mine,if I could have found it at the same price with a .54 bbl ,I would have been ecstatic,but mine was a real good price and used but never fired,just curious, where did you buy yours in Corning.I drove trucks up there and I could see a gunshop from I-86 and was always trying to figure out how to get a set of doubles down to it for parking.!

well im assning you are reffering the the "target shop" and your not missing out....its a guy in hid moms basement with a few really old savage shotguns or at least it used to be ....thats the only one i can think of.....or there was harts in bath. Rgardless i actually bouht mine in Elmira Heights. I found a gentlman at the local mom n pop sporting goods store who is into re in acting and flinters so he really helped me out ......im just waiting for it to show up now

oh and youd never get doubles into the city......well at least yuoud vever get back out lol....last time was like 7 or 8 years ago the guy got stuck....had to use a crane....nuf said

'I've been in a few tricky spots had to break em down down and turned aroun in a farmers barn yard about 01:00 once but I never had to get help but just by the skin of my teeth,you would be surprised at where you can get and get out!

Back