• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crackstock,

Mike gave me a pretty good bio of Al Hunkeler. He said he used barrels from William Large and it's probably an early L&R lock. Won't know for sure until I get it apart and look for the marks.

I'll admit I didn't know of the Large barrel reputation until today or that they were made close to me.

ohiosam said:
Crackstock,

Mike gave me a pretty good bio of Al Hunkeler. He said he used barrels from William Large and it's probably an early L&R lock. Won't know for sure until I get it apart and look for the marks.
I'll admit I didn't know of the Large barrel reputation until today or that they were made close to me.
Sam, if that is a Bill Large barrel, you got pretty lucky. Way back when....I tried to get on his list for a barrel, but he was really backlogged and I never did get one. He was considered as one of the premier barrel makers at that time. Nice looking rifle and also some nice shooting for just learning that gun.

Mazo, I guess I could be the proverbial blind squirrel with an acorn. I'm not sure yet if it is a Large barrel. Tried to take the barrel off to look for a mark but I swear that tree grew around the barrel. I turned it upside down and bumped the comb pretty good and the barrel never moved. Who made it isn't real important to me right now, the fact that it is an accurate barrel is enough.

I live about 60 miles from the Log Cabin gunshop, might head over there and get the Kindigs opinion of it.

Latest posts

Back