• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 4 examples of excellent Flintlocks built by TVM...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
trucker said:
for a little more cash you could buy a real custom from roy or mike. :thumbsup:
Another trouble maker...
:shake:

In the box you go.
:thumbsup:

I suspect that if one was to want to ask a question about anything ML related that box would be the best place to find someone who could give you a complete and honest answer I'll bet most of the best builders and gun histiorians on the forum reside there, hope I can get a spot if I don't allready have one :thumbsup:

No doubt in my mind about quality of the guns and the workmanship. But I didn.t see one listed that has the special glass marble barrel?
:wink:
As soon as I make my second million I,m gonna order up a few for myself. (gave up on the first million long ago).
:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

gordy said:
No doubt in my mind about quality of the guns and the workmanship.
But I didn.t see one listed that has the special glass marble barrel?
:wink:

:grin: Actually, that's a good reminder...after the holidays in retirement that'll be more excuses to go to the range.
The GM .58/.62cal barrels those tests were run in have been sold...need to get out and see how these barrels do. This .58cal has round bottom grooves, and this .62 is a .620" instead of a .610"...probably need to bump up patch thickness a little like I did for regular PRBs

very nice, I keep trying to figure out which I like more. Maybe a build in my future

Yes, IMO, the wood & finish are the keys...there are several good component manufacturers to get barrels, locks, triggers from, etc...but the wood makes it for me.
Instead of paying for all the high dollar labor hours to have carvings, inlays and various do-dads added to a piece of wood, I concentrated my limited funds into high grade curly maple stocks, and they all turned out great...other's mileage may vary of course.

Very nice Rifles Roundball. I now how long you worried over the first one with the 42" barrel. I couldn't help but notice that the later Rifles all have 38" barrels. 38" would be my choice also.

Robert

The two large bores... .58 & .62cals have 38" D-weight swamped barrels to control weight and do well for still hunting.

The little .40cal is also a 38" to control its weight since its a tiny bore in a straight GM 13/16" barrel...hefty but I still hunted it the other day for 3 hours...plus its extremely accurate.

The .54cal (and interchangeable .45cal barrel) are both matching 42" B-weight swamped barrels by design...and I have to say, the 42" barrels have not turned out to be any issue at all.

Same with a .50cal Dickert (not from TVM) that has a straight 7/8" x 42" barrel and while it has some heft, its also not been a problem hunting and it a proverbial tack driver.

Beautiful rifles! I am only a half hour from TVM. Do they have an open shop?

Don't know...was under the impression they built-to-order...but give Matt a call and see...you should at least be able to drop by and meet them.
Seem like great people, have provided excellent customer service over the 3 years I've worked with them, but I've never met any of them.

CraigC said:
Beautiful rifles! I am only a half hour from TVM. Do they have an open shop?
I don't know, but they have a whole wall of them at Friendship every year.

PS:
Was just on the TVM site for something, and noticed they've added a section called "show room".
May be a temporary year end thing...only has a few MLs shown but if one of them suits somebody there's no wait time...the photos are shown there.

Some good lookin' stuff, mighty tempting! Didn't see it before, I must've had the old site bookmarked.

CraigC said:
Some good lookin' stuff, mighty tempting! Didn't see it before, I must've had the old site bookmarked.
My bet is it's a temporary add-on section for the holidays...as I recall they did the same thing last year.
They could be left overs from people who might have never followed through with a build, or passed away, etc, because I don't think they build 'spec' guns...they might even deal on the price some just to move them out, dunno

Adopt me please. And please make sure you don't skip me in the last will. Paps :grin:
Gorgeus pieces of art! I've always admired your taste for rifles.

Well, they are nice looking guns...not sure I'd call them 'art' as they don't have all the add-on do-dads that get put on some...really just beautiful pieces of wood that Matt Avance & crew at TVM seem to know how to finish off nicely...

Usually, when you tell a gunmaker "nice wood" it's not a compliment...... :wink:

Mr. Brooks,
would you please enlighten us mortals with your definition of "nice wood" since you say it's not a compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back