• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 4 examples of excellent Flintlocks built by TVM...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
My 4 Flintlocks from TVM...thankfully outfits / builders like this exist so that all muzzleloaders other than T/C Hawkens don't cost $5000.

They are excellent quality and built exactly the way I wanted them for my year round shooting / hunting needs.
A 5th one, .45cal Late Lancaster, is currently in the queue.
TVM has been excellent to do business with, clear communication is the key, they operate from an establish detailed spec sheet which I demand as well, and handle any questions/issues that come up before, during, and after the build very responsibly.

.40cal Late Lancaster
Super Premium ++ wood
Brass furniture
38” x 13/16" GM barrel
Chambers Deluxe Siler
Davis double set triggers

072511A1RightSideFullButtAngle.jpg

072511B1LeftSideFullButtAngle.jpg

.54cal Smoothbore Virginia
Super Premium ++ wood
Brass furniture
42” Rice B-weight swamped barrel
Chambers Deluxe Siler

009.jpg

B-03121154calVirginiaLeftFull.jpg

.58cal Virginia
Super Premium ++ wood
Brass furniture
38” Rice D-weight swamped barrel
Chambers Deluxe Siler

1-0855CroppedRightFull.jpg

4-0859CroppedLeftFull.jpg

.62cal Smoothbore Virginia
Super Premium ++ wood
Brass furniture
38” Rice D-weight swamped barrel
Chambers Deluxe Siler

1FullRightbuttangle.jpg

3FullLeftbuttangle.jpg

Cool, you're OCD just like me. :rotf: First it was T/C and now it's TVM. :wink:
In all seriousness, and it's none of my business, but I'm curious as to what you paid for each of those, so we can have some sort of comparison as to what you pay and what you get. I'm not trying to get under your skin, just want to have an open educational discussion. :v

They all have be-u-ti-full wood! Seriously nice guns.

Your preference for certain types of architecture, locks, and furniture is obvious.

I'm just a simple country bumpkin...I find a particular model that catches my eye, fits me perfectly, performs flawlessly, that's it...not a historian or collector, just a shooter / hunter.

And if I get others in different calibers / gauges, I want them all to come up the same way, everything be in the same place, fit the same, operate the same, etc...no matter which one I'm using or if I'm drawing down on a turkey head, a squirrel, or a deer.
Shot Trap & Skeet for years with all Remington 1100's in .410/.28/.20/.12...same principle.

Rb has a stable of undeniably beautiful guns. We need to start an OCD club; I know of at least three potential members, including me, to start up with. :thumbsup: Eh? :wink:

Mr. roundball,
If you would not mind, I too would like to know the price of such fine rifles.
It would enable me to make a more informed decision on my next purchase.
As a matter of privacy, if you find my query offensive, please accept my apology, as such is not my intent.
Best Wishes

I am curious as well. You are off to a good start on a collection. :grin: If I remember correctly, didnt you purchase the barrels, send them off to Dennis for breeching, purchase the locks, send them off to be tricked out?

None of them are TVM's standard offerings and prices often change so I won't just toss out prices...these are the main items that added cost to their basic platform:

1) Super Premium ++ wood;
2) My different stock dimensions;
3) Brass furniture;
4) Rice rifle barrels with round bottom grooves;
5) Rice .62cal smoothbore barrel with a stop at Caywood Guns to have it Jug Choked;
6) Custom 'Patent Breechplugs made for each barrel by McCandless Custom Breeching in Los Cruces, NM;
7) Chambers Deluxe Silers;
8) Davis Double set triggers;
9) And all the insured shipping back and forth for all that stuff...adds up pretty quick.

So you can see that any price I tossed out might be for things you have no interest in...apples & oranges.

Just go to the TVM website as a starting point for the base model then everything else you add on is an extra...include a few calls to Rice, Chambers, et al, and including all the insured shipping using today’s prices, you'll pretty quickly get an accurate picture of what you'll end up laying out after its all said and done.

Then start a dialogue with TVM via phone, and follow up with a summary Email.....always follow-up every discussion...no matter how brief...with a summary Email as a form of detailed, clear communication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well drat, you're going to make me go to the TVM site and figure it out for myself. How's a lazy guy supposed to get by these days? :haha:

Well, I actually went and looked and found the base price to be $1100 with the wood up grade of $125. No other info as to prices of your other options. I would expect the swamped barrel and the chambers locks to be add ons too, but how much more seems a secret.

I think we must always look at the different level of knowlegde and interest that various people have and consider this, when someone praises any gun mnay would give the highest praise they could to a gun that another person would require to have some basic carving and engraving done just to be average BTW Bill those are all excellant looking guns you have aquired, and no one has realy suggested that none of the builders who have been in the crosshairs are incapable of making a very nice reasonably PC/HC gun if specifical commisioned and guided towards that goal but non disclousre by omision has never been an acceptble buisness pratice and it has never worked out well for the party doing the omitting in the long run, and I guess I do owe TVM an apology of sorts, having just read their sight on fowlers again, I see that they did offer a description of their fowler barrel that was different from their oher barrel desriptions, it was called theri "special Barrel" my cousin Billy went for a spell without O2 during birth and then was dropped on his head by uncle John a time or two a few years later,we could all see that he was never quite right but aunt Janice insisted that we just called Billy "Special"

Basically, they will use any parts you request in your gun build. The extra costs aren't remotely excessive but, as roundball said, they do add up. I have two from them built using standard parts. I have three others using locks, barrels, etc, that had to come special order from other sources. Matt does and can make "replicas" but I'd bet money that most of his customers simply want a nice, high quality, built from scratch hunting/recreational gun for what is a modest price. Many smaller output builders prefer not to do that and concentrate on more elaborate, HC/PC builds. Matt does elaborate, too, but the price is right up there with the rest and is usually more than most can afford.

tg said:
my cousin Billy went for a spell without O2 during birth and then was dropped on his head by uncle John a time or two a few years later,we could all see that he was never quite right but aunt Janice insisted that we just called Billy "Special"

tg,
What a coincidence. My Mama always said I's special too and it was because I had been dropped on my head a quite a few times growing up. My cousin Forrest was pretty special too. He lives in Alabama but he won't talk to the rest of us on a count of he is really rich and famous. I wouldn't be so uppity if I just sold shrimps for a living...

(Just trying to lighten things up a little! :wink: )

Roundball, you have some really nice guns there! I would guess that Matt and Toni have pretty well dialed in on what you like in a gun!

Those are all beauty guns. I'd be more than proud to pack any of them.

Those are all beautiful guns, what is the difference between a siler and deluxe siler lock?

Roundball,
There was a time that all your followers were buying up all the used TC rifles we could find at a price we could afford. Now if we continue to follow your lead, you will lead us into the poor house! But on the bright side we'll have lots of nice rifles.
Roundball, we are still waiting to find out if you can kill a deer with your .40! Of course we'll need lots of pictures of what kind of damage the ball does to the vitals.

Stone Knife said:
Those are all beautiful guns, what is the difference between a siler and deluxe siler lock?
Different/taller hammer, jaw & screw, different tumbler, different frizzen spring...faster, more powerful, more sparks / improved ignition, etc...Chamber's website has pictures and writeups about all his different locks.

Rat Trapper said:
Roundball,
There was a time that all your followers were buying up all the used TC rifles we could find at a price we could afford. Now if we continue to follow your lead, you will lead us into the poor house! But on the bright side we'll have lots of nice rifles.
Roundball, we are still waiting to find out if you can kill a deer with your .40! Of course we'll need lots of pictures of what kind of damage the ball does to the vitals.
This week it's the .58's turn to try and get one...darn weather has turned to high 70's this week so I may not go until it cools some, will see

trucker said:
for a little more cash you could buy a real custom from roy or mike. :thumbsup:
Probably for about the same cash if either of us would agree to build it. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back