• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My 1st Flintlock, and 1st build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianJ

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I joined this forum about a year ago when I started my build. I did a lot of reading and lurking ,and frankly couldn't have built my rifle without this forum. I haven't really posted much but figured I ought to put up some pictures of my first flintlock which is also my first attempt at building one of these. I, like I am sure all of you, found a new appreciation for the abilities of our forefathers who did this without the aid of modern tools or even indoor lighting!

The rifle is a Sitting Fox kit. It is an early Lancaster, Issac Haines pattern, .45 cal with a 39" barrel. The finish is just Plumb Brown from a bottle on the metal, and a light stain and about 10 coats of BLO on the stock. I haven't been able to shoot a lot, but from what I've seen so far, it shoots better than I do. I finished it just before BP season last year and did carry it into the woods, but didn't shoot at anything. So far it's been just paper.

You can see some of my amateurish mistakes here and there, and while it doesn't hold a candle to most of the builds I've seen here, all in all I'm fairly happy with it. Although I do keep looking at it and saying, "If I built another one I'd....". You know. One of the cool things about this truly is being able to do it your way. I was pouring over pictures of carvings and my wife suggested doing stuff from my family crest. That's where the tree (a cool story in itself), the lion, and the motto on the bottom came from. I can't wait for my young son to one day ask what it all means.

Anyway here it is. Thanks again to all on this forum.

flinter1.jpg

flinter2.jpg

flinter4.jpg

flinter5.jpg

flinter6.jpg

flinter7.jpg

Dang!!! That's a good lookin' gun! :bow: Sometime this winter I want to build a flint longrifle but chickened out because I feared I didn't have the skills necessary to complete such a build. That, and I didn't want to put that much money down if I wasn't sure. And I wasn't sure I had what it takes to shoot a flintlock but I hope I have it down enough to shoot a deer with the Lyman flinter I have now. How much experience with woodworking and working on metal stuff did you have before this build? I really liked the lettering you did on the wood by the buttplate. What does it mean?

Thanks all. Luie B, I didn't have any real experience until about 6 months before I got my kit. I was born lucky with some ability to draw and practiced carving by making toy guns for my kids. A couple people saw them and said they were good enough to sell, so that's what I did. Not many but the few toys I sold helped fund my kit! By the way the motto say Aspera non Spernit, which roughly translates to, spurn no hardships or fear no difficulties.

Very impressive first build Ive started on my first one more complex then I initially thought. But Im starting not to be drowning as much and am beginning to tread water. I hope mine turns out that nice. Congrats.

Good JOB BrianJ and congradulations on get-n your feet wet and turning out an heirloom for the future to enjoy!
I am currently working on my first rifle as well but have several irons in the fire due to a new home we finished last fall. I also have a wonderful wife who loves to quilt and enjoys me having a hobby that i can enjoy as much as she does heres!
thanks again for sharing

Lovely. I built my first rifle about 8 years ago. It is also an Isaac Haines but in .40cal. It allows me to shoot rather well.

I'm also starting my first build and I was thinking I would take my time and it would take maybe a year to finish, since I have to learn as I go.I see thats about on par for first time, and thats with over 2 decades of working on and building modern guns.I'm learnin these front stuffers are a whole different kettle of fish.Anyhow, yours looks great!

Thanks mtdew, and everyone else. Not that I'm some expert but a few words for all you guys just starting your builds. I think the best advice I got was from a link somewhere on this forum. It was from someone building a gun who said to think of each step as a complete project, not just part of a whole. Makes sense, but admittedly I didn't always stick to that. Sometimes I just wanted it done, and did things that show I was in a rush. When I look back, taking the extra time would have been worth it. There were also many times that I cussed myself and thought I had wasted the money on a kit I had no business trying to build. That's when it's time to walk away! Anyway thanks everyone for all the kind words. Best of luck to all of you guys with your builds and when you're stuck, come to this forum, I could always find someone who'd been there.

That be sage advise! Each step as a complete project and not part of the whole shebang.Well,I'm on the buttplate for about 2 weeks now,about 15 minutes at a time.When my old eye start to blur I give it up till the next day.A year from now I hope to show yall a masterpeice!

I'm super impressed with this gun as a first build! If this is your starting point, I can't wait to see a few rifles down the road! :thumbsup:

Back