• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first scratch build.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 1st rifle was a pre carved. It turned out. It shoots, but I don't hang it above the fireplace.

My 2nd was a pre carved that turned out really great. That one does hang on the wall.

I got a good deal on 2 semi carved stocks on here. The butt section was done. The fore arm was still a blank.

Anyway, now I'm going to attempt a blank build.

The parts are not dedicated to one school. I'm using a lot of what's in hand as I've built up a little pile of various parts.

I'm going to try to make as many of the other parts as possible.

Started with thimbles.

Attachments

• 20230720_113900.jpg
    20230720_113900.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
I'm using a Kibbler lock. They look like the highest quality product currently available. I've used Siler locks for my other 4 builds and have 0 complaints about them.

Attachments

• 20230717_063114.jpg
    20230717_063114.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
62 caliber 42 "Colerian barrel.

I paid to have the barrel Chanel inlet. I bought the stock and barrel several years ago. Since then I have done that process and wouldn't be paying anyone to do that for me.

I draw filed the barrel yesterday.

So, for now I'm just working on the components.

Not my prettiest solder work. But, it's solid.

Attachments

• 20230722_061404.jpg
    20230722_061404.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
1st hiccup.

The jig that I made for filling my thimbles is too small for this set. I made them bigger because I'm planning on using a thicker ram rod.

So, they're sitting until I make another jig.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1690158634463.jpg
    FB_IMG_1690158634463.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
My 1st rifle was a pre carved. It turned out. It shoots, but I don't hang it above the fireplace.

My 2nd was a pre carved that turned out really great. That one does hang on the wall.

I got a good deal on 2 semi carved stocks on here. The butt section was done. The fore arm was still a blank.

Anyway, now I'm going to attempt a blank build.
Looks like it's going fine so far. I enjoy reading your post. Semper Fi.

Layout is the next step. I want someone with more experience than me to verify everything before I start removing any wood.
I'd suggest when you get all the components finished that you draw a full scale diagram on a sheet of meat wrapping paper. If you have a diagram of how the parts have to interact it saves a lot of time trying to fix mistakes in the wood.

I can’t wait to see your progress. You said “not dedicated to one school” but what style? Presuming smooth bore? Octagon or round or both? Trade gun?

Have you seen my plank building tutorial on the ALR? You'll find it helpfull. It used to be archived here , but prior management got rid of it when they got to hating me so bad they kicked me off years ago......ah, those were the days.:ghostly:
Your tutorial is fabulous. You really did an excellent job explaining everything. Thank you.

Any chance that you are going to Kempton this weekend??

Latest posts

Back