• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloader cal .22 possible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reading all the opinions and experiences so far, I see that cleaning the barrel is a bit off-putting
I see that practically everyone used BBs or airgun pellets, which are very light, making a little effective shot.
my plans are to use heavier bullets, 70 grains at 1500 feet/sec or more, it should be very interesting!
I chose to use a .25 barrel that using paper patching bullets or greased bullets and loaded with cornmeal between powder and bullet.
Do you think I'm on a path that could work?

This question falls into a vicious circle, what a .22 can that a .32 cannot...what a .32 can that a .36 cannot...what a .36 can that a .40 cannot , etc., etc.
I'm laughing here...kkkk
but it's not true?
I own a .32 and have hunted squirrels with it even that small .310 will tear the dickens out of a squirrel. If you don't get a clean head or neck shot there's not much left of it.
A shot to the shoulder area will get you half a squirrel. So maybe smaller might be a bit better.

I had a friend, an avid ml'er now deceased, who once made himself a .22 ml rifle using the barrel from a modern .22. He used a buckshot (I don't recall size) loaded bare. He bagged many squirrels with it.

I own a .32 and have hunted squirrels with it even that small .310 will tear the dickens out of a squirrel. If you don't get a clean head or neck shot there's not much left of it.
A shot to the shoulder area will get you half a squirrel. So maybe smaller might be a bit better.
I have had a few bad shots with my .36. Then, there was the time I was deer hunting with my .62 with 120 gr. 2f and a .610 RB. There was a squirrel above me that kept barking, and throwing things a me. I finally had enough and shot it. Guess the outcome!

Last edited:
A .215 round ball by my calcs would weigh around 15 grains. Breath down the wrong side of the barrel and it would probably blow of course!

I have had a few bad shots with my .36. Then, there was the time I was deer hunting with my .62 with 120 gr. 2f and a .610 RB. There was a squirrel above me that kept barking, and throwing things a me. I finally had enough and shot it. Guess the outcome!
Did you remove its head? heck, I don't know. I did something like that
rather foolishly in my youth. I was bow hunting and had the same issue with a squirrel,
so bright a** me takes a field point out to silence the little sucker...damn I'm good and nailed him to the tree. Then the more intelligent part of me say's that critter is over 20 feet in the air just like you, how the heck are you going to get your arrow? :doh:

Did you remove its head? heck, I don't know. I did something like that
rather foolishly in my youth. I was bow hunting and had the same issue with a squirrel,
so bright a** me takes a field point out to silence the little sucker...damn I'm good and nailed him to the tree. Then the more intelligent part of me say's that critter is over 20 feet in the air just like you, how the heck are you going to get your arrow? :doh:
Oh, it still had a head, and a tail, but not much else.

I use the air gun slugs 30 grains, (not pellets) in my .22 BP rifle cause they are easier to handle and fit the bore better. The are .223 whereas my bore is .224. I put the slugs in a bullet board to make loading easier. As i stated in my previous post, I get dime sized groups at 25 yards, and the slugs will go completely thru a 3/4" pine board. More than a few squirrels have bit the dust to this gun, and the kids in our youth group like it better that a rimfire .22.

My land surveyor owned a .220" muzzleloading rifle that he shot with .22 airgun pellets. They exist.

I made a percussion one many years ago from an old air rifle barrel. The nipple was the breech plug and the hammer was central in the action a la boxlock style. It worked after a fashion but was only really a project. As I recall the stock ended up being cannibalised for a pistol, again another project! Even muzzleloaders recycle!

Years ago a friend of mine made a .22 caliber muzzleloader for one of the kids from an old single shot .22 barrel, a pistol lock and trigger, and a walnut board he had in his shop left over from something else. He made ther rest of the furniture from sheet stock scrapa and used a metal ramrod. I disremember what metal he used. Got a tin of .22 RB (BB’s) from one of the air rifle companies …. Benjamin, I think. It worked well,shot center,but did need frequent swabbing. I also had the pleasure of “discovering” an original J&S Hawken halfstock percussion rifle at a gun show that was a .30 caliber on a 1-1/4 octagon barrel. T’was a heavy old sucker! I believe that rifle is in Art Ressel’s collection of original Hawkens now. At one time I had a .32 percussion squirrel rifle but it was a wooly-booger to keep clean too, and I sold it. Anyway, they’re out there.

I’ve got a tiny brass 4 shot volley pistol that is chambered for .177. Works well will .177 pellets or BBs. View attachment 203989
A bit off the bp thing, but a fine grained smokeless powder might be better. Less fouling. Small charges, obviously. And there are some heavy airgun pellets on the market that could work, especially in the states. Standard pellets have a tendency to turn inside out with higher oressures. An old .22 rifle barrel should have enough meat in it. And, possibly, Ann airgun barrel. Shotgun primers could be worth considering, too. Anyway, enjoy your mouse hunting.

Biggest problem with .22/.17 bores is that they are so small you have trouble ramming the projectile without bending/breaking the ramrod. This is less of a problem with handgun-length barrels.

Maybe this is a silly question, but as a muzzleloader, what can a .22 do that a .32 can't do?
Indeed. After spending some time with my .32 Crockett Rifle, I can say that anything smaller in a muzzleloader would not be for this ole boy. The way I see it, the .32 ML is very close to a .22 unmentionable, especially on squirrels. It reminds me of a .22.

Indeed. After spending some time with my .32 Crockett Rifle, I can say that anything smaller in a muzzleloader would not be for this ole boy. The way I see it, the .32 ML is very close to a .22 unmentionable, especially on squirrels. It reminds me of a .22.
You're right, a .32 with a round ball weighs 45 grains, very close to the weight of a .22lr. Speeds too. So I plan on experimenting with heavier weights, I think I'll have more power and better ballistics.

Hello friends.
The smallest caliber in muzzleloaders that I see is the .32 cal. Is there any reason why smaller calibers don't exist?
I know round balls would be too light, but conical bullets would make up for it.

There's a 17 caliber muzzleloader on gunbroker right now. They call it a 'parlor rifle' in the ad.

Latest posts

Back