• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

muzzleloader cal .22 possible?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not agree.

Wasting time and money is the best way to find out why something doesn't work.

If a person wants something or wants to try something they should just do it and fully disregard what other people think about their idea.

The guy who invented the airplane had no one to ask questions of. The guy who invented the submarine had no one to ask questions of. They just did it. Until they had successes.

As for frustration, nothing irons out bugs in a project more than frustration. Frustration spurs people to find a better way of doing things.

Get busy building that barrel and post pics of your progress. It may inspire others to do the same.
Umm... beg to differ. Anybody who invented anything pretty much had a whole bunch of folks who came before to ask questions of. In the case of David Bushnell, who built the Turtle, he consulted with Benjamin Franklin among others at Yale, his college. Orville and Wilbur Wright are credited with inventing the airplane, but there were plenty of others who could make the same claim. General Hua Mulan herself may well have used kites to aid in her logistics efforts as early as the seventh century. Who "invented" those kites? I dunno, but you can bet that if anyone knew, it was Orville and Wilbur.

Edison is widely regarded as a great inventor.... but he probably adapted (stole) as many things from other inventors as he "invented" himself. Inventors almost always stand on a tower of giants who came before them.

The first step in the invention process is a random idea. If it goes any further than that, the next step is research. There is no need, for example, to re-invent the wheel. You might improve upon it, but the basic idea is sound and was invented by some stone-age man perhaps inspired by watching something round roll down a hill. The first thing he did, was likely to sit down at his hearth, sidle up to his much smarter wife and say something on the order of "Honey, you ever heard of anybody putting logs under something heavy in order to move it easier?" She likely said something like, "Ya, sorta. The people on the island where I grew up used logs to get double-hulled canoes to the water after they were built." "What kind of trees did they get the logs from?" And soon enough, Michelin started making tires.

I made a 22 muzzle loading rifle using a 22 rifle barrel. The ramrod was a brass welding rod and I use BB size lead shot for ball. It shot very well on an indoors 50 foot range. It was fun to build and cheap to feed. Over all it was a silly gun and I lost interest in it quickly. That’s was the stupid type of things I did as a youth. :rolleyes:
Did you shoot pellets in it or 22 rimfire bullets that you pulled just curious

I made a 22 muzzle loading rifle using a 22 rifle barrel. The ramrod was a brass welding rod and I use BB size lead shot for ball. It shot very well on an indoors 50 foot range. It was fun to build and cheap to feed. Over all it was a silly gun and I lost interest in it quickly. That’s was the stupid type of things I did as a youth. :rolleyes:
I don't know Phil - I can think of (and remember) some much stupider things to do a a youth!! :)

I plan to make one out of an old rimfire barrel. the main problems are a skinny ramrod breaking, difficulty loading tiny projectiles and patches, and fowling quickly. The fowling problem is one lots of people seem to mis understand. when black powder burns roughly half of it is remains as smoke and fouling. small bores tend to fowl quicker because there is less surface area inside the barrel to spread the fouling out on. If you want something go for it. this is a hobby not a buisness. FCI barrels can make 30 and 29 caliber and I have had a 25 caliber barrel made by Ed Rayl.

Had a friend make an inline from an old .22. It did shoot pretty well but needed to be swabbed nearly every shot. Cool novelty item but for practical use .32 would be about the smallest I'd go.

Not exactly black powder. But I was given a bunch of 22 for a nail gun. I loaded a single shot 22 with one and rammed a .22 pellet down the barrel. I removed the powder in one and substituted 3f, just enough to fill the casing. No projectile. Didn't sound like enough umph to propel a projectile. Lost interest and used the rest as blanks in my revolver.

My .27 cal smoothbore from a really rusty .22 Mossberg barrel. image.jpeg

Excellent!
What is the barrel twist?
did you ever test heavier bullets?
Not sure of the twist rate, but the barrel is from an old Stevens single shot .22 rifle. And No, I have not tried heavier slugs. I wanted economy so I use a light powder charge and the air rifle slugs for teaching the Youth in our Club.

I use a brass rod as a ram rod for my .22 BP rifle, but I guess you could also use an aluminum sectioned rod that comes with the cheap .22 cleaning kits. Using 4f powder and the air gun slugs, I find I can shoot 5-6 times before swabbing the barrel. The slugs I use have a shallow dished base that I fill with mink oil for lube to keep the fouling soft. A .22 caliber nylon brush on the rod works well for swabbing out the fouling.

Years ago a friend of mine made a .22 caliber muzzleloader for one of the kids from an old single shot .22 barrel, a pistol lock and trigger, and a walnut board he had in his shop left over from something else. He made ther rest of the furniture from sheet stock scrapa and used a metal ramrod. I disremember what metal he used. Got a tin of .22 RB (BB’s) from one of the air rifle companies …. Benjamin, I think. It worked well,shot center,but did need frequent swabbing. I also had the pleasure of “discovering” an original J&S Hawken halfstock percussion rifle at a gun show that was a .30 caliber on a 1-1/4 octagon barrel. T’was a heavy old sucker! I believe that rifle is in Art Ressel’s collection of original Hawkens now. At one time I had a .32 percussion squirrel rifle but it was a wooly-booger to keep clean too, and I sold it. Anyway, they’re out there.

The Wright brothers invention is contested, their plane couldn’t fly, according to many.
Their plane didn't take off on its own and it didn't even go in public.
The real inventor was the Brazilian Alberto Santos Dumont, who took off by his own means in a public square, with thousands of people present.
But that's a conversation for another forum...

Their plane didn't take off on its own and it didn't even go in public.
The real inventor was the Brazilian Alberto Santos Dumont, who took off by his own means in a public square, with thousands of people present.
But that's a conversation for another forum...
Dumont accomplished his feat, in Paris, in 1906.

Three years after the Wright Brothers FLEW their airplane in 1903.

You are correct that the Wright Brother's plane did not take off on its own.

And based on that fact a new report has surfaced.

The U.S. Navy is removing all catapult launching systems from their aircraft carriers. Citing how dumb it was for the Wright Brothers to use it.

Just for information there has been several flintlock contemporary rifles made in 19 to 29 caliber. F.C.I was the barrel maker I believe.
The late Bob Watts made a beautiful .29 cal. left handed Southern Mt. flintlock for Jim Harrell. It was not only a beauty but was a great shooter. I think that Rex Maxey made the barrel.

Back