• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle Filing Worked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DennisA said:
My question is what reasoning does he have for why it works.
I can't speak for him, but I can give you an analogy....
Imagine that a square muzzle is like being punched straight in the nose....You fall over backwards...
Now imagine a right or left cross, you fall to the left or to the right....

Pretty simple, "Huh"..

:rotf:
Colorado Clyde said:
DennisA said:
Imagine that a square muzzle is like being punched straight in the nose....You fall over backwards...
Now imagine a right or left cross, you fall to the left or to the right....

Pretty simple, "Huh"..
:rotf:

It's not my theory (hypothesis) it is what I have heard espoused by proponents of muzzle filing as the cause of the effect.
I only mentioned my experience with slugs as it seemed to me that filing the muzzle would more likely have an effect on a slug than a column of shot.
Regarding bullets from a rifled barrel it is well documented that a poorly cut or damaged muzzle crown will have a detrimental effect on accuracy. A destabilized bullet is not one that has been sent on an accurate repeatable path.

Methinks you have been watching too many movies. For what it is worth being shot in the chest you will more likely fall forwards than backwards.

"
01-10-18 01:19 AM - Post#1662405

In response to DennisA

DennisA Said:

Now imagine a right or left cross, you fall to the left or to the right...."

Last time I got hit in the nose I did back up a step. Got caught with an uppercut that literally lifted me off of my feet. So, your hypotheses is confirmed.

DennisA said:
Methinks For what it is worth being shot in the chest you will more likely fall forwards than backwards.

Yes! but that's because being shot disrupts your muscle control, and the body is naturally front heavy.....So most often one falls forward.

As oppose to being punched and being knocked over with brute force.

Colorado Clyde said:
DennisA said:
Methinks For what it is worth being shot in the chest you will more likely fall forwards than backwards.

Yes! but that's because being shot disrupts your muscle control, and the body is naturally front heavy.....So most often one falls forward.

As oppose to being punched and being knocked over with brute force.
I was being facetious. I fail to see how your analogy related to changing the POI of a shotgun by filing the muzzle.

Does the muzzle filling work for the impact of a PRB also or is it primarily for shot loads? Not trying to :stir: or anything but just curious.
Best regards. RH

You didn't state if the prb was from a rifled or a smoothbore. General opinion that an uneven crown can destabilize a projectile from a rifled bore. As to a smooth bore I didn't have any luck with slugs.
An interesting side note on this forum there are several reports that it works for shot with the filing being opposite the direction you wish to deflect the shot column.
In searching other forums I came across a shotgun forum where several poster also stated that filing the muzzle worked well. However in that case it was espoused that you filed the muzzle in the same direction you wanted the shot to be redirected. The stated reason being that resistance on the shot column was lessened on that side first and the column tilted in that direction.
Best guess is give it a try you can always square it back up if it doesn't work.

DennisA said:
An interesting side note on this forum there are several reports that it works for shot with the filing being opposite the direction you wish to deflect the shot column.
In searching other forums I came across a shotgun forum where several poster also stated that filing the muzzle worked well. However in that case it was espoused that you filed the muzzle in the same direction you wanted the shot to be redirected. The stated reason being that resistance on the shot column was lessened on that side first and the column tilted in that direction.
Confusing, isn't it? I'm impressed how many times over the last several decades I've seen instances of such opposing "facts". One notable one was with the concept of slipperiness. The idea was expressed that patch lube could be too slick, so that it allowed the ball to exit the bore before full pressure was reached, thus reducing velocity and damaging accuracy. So, steps were taken to reduce slipperiness. OK, no problem. Well, maybe a small one. At exactly the same time teflon patching became available, and its praises were being sung by a large contingent of shooters, especially high-end competitive shooters, bench shooters and such, expressly because of its amazing ability to reduce friction, increase slipperiness, thereby increasing velocity, improving accuracy and reducing wear on the bore.

So, which is it, same side or opposite side, too slick or not slick enough? I guess we'll have to flip a coin. I suspect it won't matter whether it's heads or tails.

Spence

I don't have a smooth bore muzzle loader but I do have an old 12 gauge Savage model 5 Browning clone with a short barrel I would be willing to file on to test this theory.It's currently square and I would start first with a series of paper tests for center and pattern density then start filing a given amount to see what changes, again on paper.
I don't know if it will replicate a smooth bore muzzle loader but it should give some idea of shot string vectoring and patterning.
The main difference probably will be from shot cup use which is virtually universal now days in factory shot loads but it should give some idea if the notion is sound or if we have a placebo ( I believe the pattern moved therefore it did) effect going here.
The choke portion has been removed from this barrel and it is open bored.

I shot this gun about 1 year ago and found with SHOT it was about 8" low left barrel.I was about to sell and thought I'd try this.
It now is slightly low and I filed a little more but have not tested a 3rd time.You can't see the filing and even with a square it is not much.
I would have tried to take pics of before and after patterns but those tiny holes don't show up well on brown paper.I feel also that some would say I just raised my aim to prove a point.
It worked and I'm not selling it! :thumbsup:

M.D. said:
I don't have a smooth bore muzzle loader but I do have an old 12 gauge Savage model 5 Browning clone with a short barrel I would be willing to file on to test this theory.It's currently square and I would start first with a series of paper tests for center and pattern density then start filing a given amount to see what changes, again on paper.
I don't know if it will replicate a smooth bore muzzle loader but it should give some idea of shot string vectoring and patterning.
The main difference probably will be from shot cup use which is virtually universal now days in factory shot loads but it should give some idea if the notion is sound or if we have a placebo ( I believe the pattern moved therefore it did) effect going here.
The choke portion has been removed from this barrel and it is open bored.
Sounds like a peachy idea. Might I suggest some type of rear sight so the line of sight can be more precise.

Latest posts

Back