• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzle decorations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw similar muzzle decoration on an original gun at some gun show 50 yrs . ago. I liked it enough to copy the idea on a gun or two , over the years. Your effort is a lot neater than mine was. :thumb:

I'm finishing a .32 barrel for my SMR and was considering putting some dimples on the end of the muzzle. Would it be as simple as using a center punch?
Post up some pics of what y'all have done.
If you cut patches at ball seating or ever plan to then leave the muzzle decorations to those who prefer art to accuracy ! A square and properly profiled barrel muzzle is like certain parts of our anatomy that are created to function not look pretty!
Most serious competitors cut their patches at ball seating to insure they are equal all the way around the ball and muzzle decorations are not suited to this technique as the knife must stay flush with the muzzle when cutting the patch.

Last edited:
If you cut patches at ball seating or ever plan to then leave the muzzle decorations to those who prefer art to accuracy ! A square and properly profiled barrel muzzle is like certain parts of our anatomy that are created to function not look pretty!
Most serious competitors cut their patches at ball seating to insure they are equal all the way around the ball and muzzle decorations are not suited to this technique as the knife must stay flush with the muzzle when cutting the patch.
Frankly … I call ‘BS’ on that one …

They might do that, yes … but there is NO WAY it hurts the accuracy!

Whether it affects accuracy or not is not an issue if the metal displaced by the stamping or punching is dressed down to the same level as the original surface. The knife will glide over the surface as it did before and the patch will be cut the same.

Frankly … I call ‘BS’ on that one …

They might do that, yes … but there is NO WAY it hurts the accuracy!
You will not find any file cuts made by hand and or machine angled into any bore of a match rifle . Dimples dressed down properly can probably be made to work satisfactorily for off hand shooting but any metal displacement on a crown is not conducive to good accuracy dressed flat or not because of metal displacement and induced stresses. Read Ned Roberts book on precision match rifles with false muzzles and you can pick up some good knowledge about what works and what doesn't.
Same deal with deep tapered bore crown to facilitate ease of loading. Won't find it in the most accurate bench rifles.

A little hard to see, but this is one I made years ago. Simple engraving.

1686740189393.png

I filed this 45 barrel in an hour or so, used it for practice before I do the rifle. I have been looking at it all day, and I like it more every time. I have a thing for file work on polished steel 🥰

Attachments

• 20230812_044723.jpg
    20230812_044723.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_052304.jpg
    20230812_052304.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230812_095630.jpg
    20230812_095630.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 0
Punch marks are so far from the bore and very near the end of the barrel. With this being the case, the relatively small stressed region will have no impact on accuracy. At least this is my opinion as a metallurgical engineer.
But, but, but.....can't we just stick to uninformed opinions and speculations? 🤣

Back