• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket replicas with non-drilled vent tubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Though they can be fired and prettied up I would not buy them and the reason is I am fortunate enough to be able to afford a Pendersoli or have one made from a quality USA kit. I’ve seen people with some pretty nice looking India rifles fire some hefty loads though them which makes me a little nervous. If they are happy with them I’m happy for them but I will be several lanes to the left or right of them. I’m not dissing anyone I just wouldn’t trust them heck good barrels can fail I think paying the higher price in this case gets you what you pay for reduced risk and what I’m paying for hopefully is a safe functioning gun. Shooting 140 grains of 1F through an India rifle is probably a good proof test but repeating that load is asking for a face and hand full of shrapnel IMO. Some people don’t know how to draw the line but that’s obviously not all. So enjoy what you have and be safe.

Aye Aye to that. I shoot a Navy Arms Charleville made in '76. It was take very good care of and sparks like a sparkler and shoots live rounds even better. I don't have any opinion on whether Indian arms are safe to shoot live rounds as I haven't seen that...but what I have seen is that they frequently have issues not sparking more consistently than the Italian or Japanese models. Others may have different experiences.
Agree I think anything is possible I just hope which I know is not always the case that there is better quality control. I think a lot has to do with what you can afford unfortunately

Whats about the French Armae Shop ? They have no Touchhole sell as Decoration?
I have the Ketland 1812 TradeGun .6Cal an the Brown bess LL in .73 also the French 1733 Pistol in .63 they all perform very well because you must do some Work at Stock and Lock!!

The Indian made muskets are actually good .They are made like the original’s in very much the same way .Interchangeability of parts from lock parts to screws can be a problem.locks may have timing problems poorly fitting frizzens and some more often then not may spark poorly and need to be hardened .A very common problem is venting I have vented well over 100 of these muskets over the years for customers .This is something that not to be done on the kitchen table with a hand drill proper vent location is essential .Many about Half have interference breech plugs .That are to long and set to deep to allow proper venting.What I am getting at is this is not for the inexperienced This is a real safety issue for sure..An Indian musket properly setup to live fire is as good as any and just as safe.If you know what you are doing

I have been an active gunsmith for 40+years been around just about any thing that shoots black powder seen all kinds of issues with muskets including some very unfortunate incidents including blowups One tc hawken 50cal. total barrel failure a Pedersoli 12 gauge double burst breech serious injury Pedersoli brown bess burst barrel no injuries I all cases it was entirely the shooters fault .The Tc the shooter loaded 90 grains of 3ffg with patched ball the night before for hunting the next day The next morning when he got to his tree stand he forgot he all ready loaded the rifle and loaded again when he fired it the rifle disintegrated this example why most black guns blow up .people not following recommended loads paying attention or just being stupid

The Indian made muskets are actually good .They are made like the original’s in very much the same way .Interchangeability of parts from lock parts to screws can be a problem.locks may have timing problems poorly fitting frizzens and some more often then not may spark poorly and need to be hardened .A very common problem is venting I have vented well over 100 of these muskets over the years for customers .This is something that not to be done on the kitchen table with a hand drill proper vent location is essential .Many about Half have interference breech plugs .That are to long and set to deep to allow proper venting.What I am getting at is this is not for the inexperienced This is a real safety issue for sure..An Indian musket properly setup to live fire is as good as any and just as safe.If you know what you are doing

Indian muskets are hit and miss. Some are great, some are very poor quality, so poor they can’t be salvaged.

When you buy one your gambling with quality. A couple of points.

The Locks are poorly designed, chunky and not hardened and tempered correctly.

The Lock parts are not interchangeable, one. They break you need to get a custom part.

The barrels are good for the most part , are often heavy, some need to be ‘re-breeched’ the problem is finding a gunsmith who will do that work. I’d stay away from any Indian gun dealer that sells DOM made barrels. This could be a safety issue if the weld seam isn’t done correctly.

The worst part of an Indian made musket is the stocks, stocks are made of teak or rosewood. The wood is too hard and closed grained, its subject to chipping and splitting. Doesn’t handle well with recoil and wear.

Also there’s no warranty of these guns, which brings down the price incredibly.

Perdsoli you will get a fine gun 95% of the time, with replacement parts and a warranty on certain failures. Most pedersoli dealers in the USA also have their own warranties. Parts are completely drop in replaceable. Authenticity is lagging however you can’t say that Indian made muskets are anymore authentic.

Last edited:
Back