• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Musket caps for .32 Kentucky Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 52723

32 Cal
Reaction score
I just bought a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle in .32 caliber for my grandkids. As everyone knows there are no #11 caps to be found. I have musket caps and can convert the nipple. My question is are the musket caps too hot for the small 20-25 grain charge of FFFG we will be shooting. Thanks in advance for your thoughts . Will post pics of rifle when it arrives.

There will be more priming material. The real question to get answered is will the caps fit under the cavity in the cavity in the hammer? Will the hammer align with the musket nipple for a solid strike of the musket cap?
I have thought about that as well will see when gun arrives

Musket caps aren't "hotter" they are just bigger, and hence a tad bit more primer.
They are slightly hotter 3717 deg to 3024 deg the difference is in twice the amount of primer/gas volume as you stated just wondering if it will displace the small powder charge an cause accuracy issues

There are caps out there. One just has to spend some due diligence these days and look for them.

wm
Spent a week of poring over internet doing due diligence only found 3 scam sights with ridiculous low prices and payment in cyber currency if you have a secret place how about sharing info thanks

Spent a week of poring over internet doing due diligence only found 3 scam sights with ridiculous low prices and payment in cyber currency if you have a secret place how about sharing info thanks
I don't have any info to share with everyone as I don't need to look but if I do, I'll post it like others here will.

wm

I just bought a Pedersoli Kentucky Rifle in .32 caliber for my grandkids. As everyone knows there are no #11 caps to be found. I have musket caps and can convert the nipple. My question is are the musket caps too hot for the small 20-25 grain charge of FFFG we will be shooting. Thanks in advance for your thoughts . Will post pics of rifle when it arrives.

I suggest you search for the threads about making your own caps. "22 reloader" has a kit that works really well after a bit of tinkering. It's been awhile since I made some, (cause I have a several tins of 11's) but I think after I got the game figured out, I could make about 40 to 60 caps in an hour, maybe even more.

Good luck, and I hope your grandkids appreciate it, Eric

I think musket caps are best suited to 50cal and larger with the exception of some 45cal target rifles shooting large charges. I'd suggest looking into making your own. It's not hard.

I suggest you search for the threads about making your own caps. "22 reloader" has a kit that works really well after a bit of tinkering. It's been awhile since I made some, (cause I have a several tins of 11's) but I think after I got the game figured out, I could make about 40 to 60 caps in an hour, maybe even more.

Good luck, and I hope your grandkids appreciate it, Eric
thanks I will check it out

Musket caps were made big so they were easier to handle by the military without fumbling , the ears on the caps were there to make them easier to put on and take off , naturally they were made with more priming compound to ensure the sometimes dubious issue powder went off . Nipples to fit a musket cap to a standard .25x28 ( common no 11) thread are available from various suppliers .

You can do that as a temporary measure and change it back later. Also, I find tins of #11 at Bass Pro Shops in quantities of 10 all the time... Never in the thousands, but enough.

Back