• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Murphy's Oil Soap "Biodegradable" New Formula

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29thWisCoG

32 Cal
Reaction score
Does the new formula MOS clean as well as the original formula? if not, are there alternatives like Lestoil or Pine-Sol... thanks

Don’t worry about all those concoctions. Plain old water works as good as anything. If your cleaning between shots use rubbing alcohol, vodka, -0 windshield washer. All evaporate fast. For regular cleaning use the same or water. Water is cheap.

Didn't know they had a new formula. I'm still using the original formula with 98% naturally derived ingredients. Hard to believe they improved on it.
Guess I'll have to do some checking and testing.
I'm guessing it's the same formula, just new advertising, it's always been biodegradable as far as I know and the the stuff I have works just fine.

"Biodegradeable" is most definitely a major marketing term. All soap and detergents are "biodegradeable". It just takes a hell of a long time. The mark-up on those cute little bottles of "Campers Suds" is off the charts.

The Murphy's co. may have removed any phosphates, if they ever had any. They didn't have any choice. If that's the case, it won't cut grease as well it did.

This is the "new formula" from the MOS website:
  • Water
  • Sodium Tallate
  • Fragrance
  • Trisodium MGDA
  • Lauramidopropyldimethylamine

I use the MOS bottle under the sink as a patch lube. It works very well. The MSD sheets I found do not say what is in it.

If the new soap doesn't work the company will be in trouble, because I bet more than half of the people who buy it are using it for muzzleloaders rather than wood floors. :)

I made my own soap for a long time. Homemade soap is excellent because it still contains glycerin, making it very emollient. Most commercial grades of handsoap remove the glycerin because it is more valuable for other applications. I used to dissolve trim pieces and small remnants of bars in water to use as liquid soap. Made a great patch lube also. I tried using flaked soap for laundry but that never worked so well.

Don’t worry about all those concoctions. Plain old water works as good as anything. If your cleaning between shots use rubbing alcohol, vodka, -0 windshield washer. All evaporate fast. For regular cleaning use the same or water. Water is cheap.

Vodka! Are you nuts! That's for getting drunk!

The original formula used potassium hydroxide, this new formula doesn't... curious how the sodium tallate stacks up to the potassium hydroxide.

Latest posts

Back