• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

movies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck-ia

45 Cal.
Reaction score
jeriamia johnson to be specific. watched this movie a bunch of times. watched it again today and at the beginning of the show he purchased a 30 cal. hawken, seems a might small to be heading out into the wilderness with a gun like that. really good show. the more I watch it the more I pick up on certain things. like, at the beginning of the show when jerimia is in the creek trying to catch a fish with his hands, and this indian is watching him, did you notice the gun the indian has? a double barrel, looks like one barrel is smooth bore and the other rifled. how accurate do you think this movie is? And how about the mountain men? another good show. I just can't imagine throwing my rifle around like they do at times. flinch

The narration stated that he bought a 30 caliber rifle, but it was a genuine Hawkin. Later, when he found Mad Jack froze to a tree, he got his gun - which the narration stated was a 50 caliber Hawkin.

To the general public that doesn't understand muzzleloading guns and calibers, 30 caliber sounds large, and 50 sounds huge. Thus, the hollywood twist on the caliber of the gun. In the real world, he would have started out with a 45 or 50 caliber, and Mad Jack's would have been a 62 or 69.

Yes, if you look closely, the NDN's gun is a double with one barrel smooth and one barrel rifled - almost looked like it was sleeved.

Parts of the movie were good, parts were bad. But it all was good "entertainment". Ditto for the Mountain Men. It's hard to make a good historical movie that's also entertaining, without just making a documentary.

Looking forward to seeing what they did with The New World - which is supposed to come out in December. And still waiting for Nouvelle France to start getting distributed in the US.

Just my humble opinion.

Mike

Does that mean ol Jack did not really live with a she-Puma? Or that she never did take to em? :rotf:

Davy

Not enuff dirt ta cover thim hot rocks ... I seen it rite off! :cursing:

Davy

They never did clearify if it was a 4-legged or 2-legged female panther. :hmm:

Both can be dangerous and hard to live with. :winking: But they sure can be a comfort on a cold night. :grin:

"... and I can find no sign on it."

Mike

You've done well pilgrim .. ta last so long with yor hyar, when so many have bent on havin it!! :shocked2:

Davy

Mad Jack ... "I don kilt tha bar thet broke my legs n kilt me!" :cursing:

Davy

Back