• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mortimer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have looked them up but can not find much about them.

Who is Mortimer and what roll (if any) did they play in the American west?

Did hawkin design his plains rifle after their rifles or did Mortimer copy Hawkin?

My goodness, people would rather talk about cap at bass pro then muzzloading history. If the subject is too much I will change the subject.

OK, new subject, has anybody see anything shiny while in the store. Please post here.

Remember to answer with "kit from kibler".

Last edited:
Probably a little too late in the day for the guys knowledgeable on the topic to participate. There's quite a few here that I think would love to discuss the topic.

Some guys spend most of their time on this forum it seems and some only visit once a day or even every other day. Hang around a little longer and someone will probably give you a five paragraph answer, just be patient.

There's an entire book called The Mortimer Gunmakers by H. Lee Munson. There's a family of gunmakers over several generations.
Harvey Walklate Mortimer (1753-1819), Thomas Mortimer (1755-1824), Jackson Mortimer (1762-1834), Henry William Mortimer (1796- ), H.W. Mortimer Jr. (1776-1850), Thomas Jackson Mortimer (1781-1833). Someone said he made flintlocks. The family name as gunmakers spanned nearly 100-years and they made many caplocks, tubelocks and cartridge guns - until1923. At one time they were Mortimer and Sons. When the elder passed, they went back to Mortimer. Each primary was issued a Royal Warrant and used the logo "Gunmaker to His Majesty". The London guns were considered "Best" quality to the point that they were some fraudulent copies. I own a dueling pistol made by HW the senior, and a SxS shotgun made by T.J. I have previously owned a double rifle by Mortimer and Sons that is a breachloading .500 Express from 1880.

They had nothing to do with the American West. They sold face to face, or sent delivery by train, so they were not widespread in other Countries in Europe. Unless someone brought the gun back by ship, no guns were "exported" for sale. It is likely they never even heard of Hawken. The rifle they made popular is an English Sporting Rifle based on Gibbs, Boss and Mantons rifles.

Back