• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

More ?'s about Loyalist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbpBurner

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at their Fusil de Chasse with iron furnishings. I'll be staining and finishing myself, so there's a little savings there, too. Others had posted in another thread about having guns from Loyalist and needing to do a little tweaking on them. What work was needed? I asked them about their internal lock parts and they state that they are already hardened. If this isn't the case, I can harden them myself.

How is overall fit quality? Are there any significant customs delays? How well do they pack for shipping?

Were iron parts historically left in the white, or browned or blued?

They're India-made and above average. The packages are shipped well and quickly enough. What you see is what you get.

Have you ever handled custom Fusils de Chasse? That's not what you're going to get...

Alden said:
They're India-made and above average. The packages are shipped well and quickly enough. What you see is what you get.

Have you ever handled custom Fusils de Chasse? That's not what you're going to get...
I've handled countless originals and also custom guns. As You should be able to gather from what I've posted, a top dollar custom gun is not what I seek.

To get the best repro you got to get custom. Fact is you have to look close and be very picky to notice the difference. I have a centermark, and am very happy with it. I can tell you whats wrong with it, but Im ok with it. Everyones repro falls short some where.

On my matchlock, the pan cover needed a little adjustment to ensure it wouldn't fall open when casting off. I also snugged up the connection between the serpentine and the trigger bar. Neither of these would have been terribly obvious to someone who doesn't shoot matchlocks. On my English lock I adjusted the trigger pull for an easier release.

I've also replaced both scouring sticks (ram rods). Theirs do not hold up to use.

I agree with Alden's assessment on the guns offered by Loyalist Arms. The guns I own from Loyalist are a 1st Model Long Land Pattern (1728) and an Officer's fusil. The officer's fusil is in 20 gauge and is light and easy to handle.

The guns should come functionally checked out and ready to use. You may still need to polish up the lock and trigger rub areas for smooth operation. My Long Land Pattern is heavier than the original due to the type of wood used for the stock and the barrel walls are thicker than the originals.

All of the India made guns should be considered as being made to pattern. That means that the guns will look alike if made to the same model, but don't expect the parts to be interchangeable.

Thanks for the comments, guys. No back to the last question: are the iron buttplate, triggerguard and sideplates on trade guns left in the white or were they somehow finished?

They were left in some cases "in the white" and in others fire blued. You won't like the finish on the steel for a Loyalist Arms completed gun, as they are polished to a very high sheen...like the bumper on a collectable muscle car...but that's easily modified.

The wood is heavy, and dense. Takes a bit more work to modify it compared to say maple, cherry, or walnut. It can be prone to chipping so go cautiously.

LD

AZbpBurner said:
rj morrison said:
for there cost of the india guns you can find a quality used one for the same money

Why would I want to buy a used India gun for the price of a new one from Loyalist :idunno:

Believe he's referring to used Pedersoli and other makes from Europe or even some odd U.S. made pieces.

Loyalist Dave said:
Yes Alden....but if he's not familiar with a "typical" India gun, he might want more details...

LD

Considering he started this thread inquiring about buying an India-made fusil on the afternoon of the 10th and already knew his India-made fusil from Middlesex was a "good solid shooter" 10 hours later, well...

...we can make certain assumptions.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/1499854/

:shocked2:

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyalist Dave said:
They were left in some cases "in the white" and in others fire blued. You won't like the finish on the steel for a Loyalist Arms completed gun, as they are polished to a very high sheen...like the bumper on a collectable muscle car...but that's easily modified.

The wood is heavy, and dense. Takes a bit more work to modify it compared to say maple, cherry, or walnut. It can be prone to chipping so go cautiously.

LD

Those Indians and Pakastanis certainly love to polish steel, as evidenced by some of their medical instruments and other stainless steel items.

My Middlesex Fusil's hi polish barrel was easily remedied with a rubdown with rottenstone in light oil. It knocks down the glaring shine without leaving scuffing like you'd get with steel wool or 3M pads.

My Middlesex lock is holding up great, since I hardened the sear and tumbler. About 300 rounds thru it, and the frizzen still looks like new. My Chambers lock on another gun has about 150 rounds fired and the frizzen is all scraped & gouged up, just as badly as my Investarms rifle frizzens.

I placed the order for the Loyalist .62 cal Fusil de Chasse, and will have it sent unstained & unfinished. I can re contour & scrape to slim down the stock to my satisfaction. Loyalist says they do harden their lock internals. My first order of business will be to tear down the lock and see how hard the parts really are. I'll do it while my stock stain is setting up. It's a simple matter to reharden them.

They are lovely people to work with, however I was unhappy with the quality of the matchlock I bought from them. I ended up hanging it on the wall as decoration. The stock cracked open along the ramrod channel having not even been used and it was all around of poor quality. I recently bought the Pedersoli "English trade gun" which I am very happy with. I would recommend something like that if you are planning on shooting it, a Pedersoli is well worth the extra few hundred dollars.

Thanks for checking for me, I appreciate the effort. A Bess is on my list for someday, but the Fusil or Trade gun I'm looking at is .62 cal. The Loyalist Fusil de Chasse, at $660 including shipping, is best price I've found & I'm going for it.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I already have a Middlesex Fusil that shoots fine, with 100% ignition & with some work,a now smooth lock. The Loyalist looks like even better wood fit & they will discount it a little to ship bare wood without stain or finish.

Latest posts

Back