• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Moose loads?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabofdoom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I put in my app. for a moose tag in VT. So did my wife and son, but I've decided to hunt either with my TC Hawken in .50 cal. or my Investarms Hawken in .54 cal. ( I would love to use a .58 cal hawken if I can line up a barrel for my TC with a twist rate for conicals...see my ad in Parts Wanted :) )

That aside, point me in the right direction as to load and bullet...I can tweek it, but to be honest, really big game is virgin territory for me.

TIA

COD

Inside 50-75 yards you'll be fine with either the .50 or .54 shooting patched roundball. Preferably the .54. If you prefer a conical bullet the Hornady Great Plains Bullet in either caliber will do the job nicely. I'd push the roundballs with 100 grains of powder. The conicals would do fine with 80-100 grains.

HD

I'd worry about getting the permit first. The New England moose hunts are very hard to get drawn. I personally know people who have applied since their inception and have never been picked.

bigbore442001 said:
I'd worry about getting the permit first. The New England moose hunts are very hard to get drawn. I personally know people who have applied since their inception and have never been picked.

Gotta think positive AND be prepared...

I will get a permit and I will be ready

I will get a permit and I will be ready :)

Thanks for the help guys

COD

Personally, I'd go with the .54 for the simple reason that the ball has 27% more mass than the .50. Pretty significant differance. Drive it at a good muzzle velocity and it will let some daylight inside Mr. Moose.

Good Luck with the Permit.
I would use the .54cal rifle, a roundball will work ok, use 100gr of 3F. I have had great success with my .54 rifle useing 110 gr of 3F and a Hornaday Great Plains Bullet, the 425gr HBHP. theses are serious loads for BIG Alaska Moose. I have never had to fire a second shot at big game. I keep by shots to broadsides and under 75 yards. With the Great Plains bullets the penetration is outstanding, I would not hesitate to take a quartering shot using them. When i have used a PRB i have kept shots under 50 yards and broadside only. As always shot placement id the key to a clean kill. Good Luck

Cabofdoom said:
So I put in my app. for a moose tag in VT. So did my wife and son, but I've decided to hunt either with my TC Hawken in .50 cal. or my Investarms Hawken in .54 cal. ( I would love to use a .58 cal hawken if I can line up a barrel for my TC with a twist rate for conicals...see my ad in Parts Wanted :) )

That aside, point me in the right direction as to load and bullet...I can tweek it, but to be honest, really big game is virgin territory for me.

TIA

COD

Hay buddy,
I have been hunting VT moose as long as they have had a season for them.
I called in a 50 inch bull to a buddy a few years ago and he shot it with a 54 PRB.
It was at 40 yrds, and with 110 grn goex load the bullet was moving fast enough to flatten out to a quarter size projectile which stopped it in the second lung slowing down the kill process acheaved only by a clean pass through.
I would perfer a concile bullet which IMHO would give clean pass through at the short hunting ranges the Green Mtn's offer or a PRB with a bit of tin to harden it to get complete pass through.
Or reduce your load so at close range your RB won't flatten on inpact do to high speeds.
:thumbsup:

moose001.jpg

I think that's some good advice there. I've never hunted or shot moose but they hang around our ml hunting area so much they become pests! Just looking at the size of a full grown bull or cow, I'd be inclined to use a flat nose conical in a .50. .54 RB? Dunno, if I ever have a chance to hunt moose it'll probably be with a .58 or .62 rb gun.

flintlock75 said:
...I would use the .54cal rifle, a roundball will work ok, use 100gr of 3F. I have had great success with my .54 rifle useing 110 gr of 3F and a Hornaday Great Plains Bullet, the 425gr HBHP. theses are serious loads for BIG Alaska Moose...

As VT moose are a bit smaller than yours, I would guess that this is a good place to start.

greenmntboy

where bouts in the state ya hale from? Im in north Chittenden Co. I pulled a Moose permit 4 seasons back and wasn't able to fill it. Had last minute issues with my 2nd shooter/guide...ended up with a last min. fill in who only wanted to road hunt...cant stand the lazy mentality :barf:

Since then, my wife and this year, my son (12) have taken up hunting. So 2nd shooter is covered, and my wife works w/ a guy who hunts alot out of his camp in WMU d-2 so the guides a lock too

now all I need is a tag :grin:

marmotslayer said:
I think that's some good advice there. I've never hunted or shot moose but they hang around our ml hunting area so much they become pests! Just looking at the size of a full grown bull or cow, I'd be inclined to use a flat nose conical in a .50. .54 RB? Dunno, if I ever have a chance to hunt moose it'll probably be with a .58 or .62 rb gun.

Bigger is better.........I am building a .69 cal that should be a dandy Moose rifle.....I like a ball that is 400 plus grains.....with a mild load of 125FF.......it will shoot clear thru, on a broad side shot......if you don't have a large bore, then I would go with a .62

No-BS

marmotslayer said:
As VT moose are a bit smaller than yours, I would guess that this is a good place to start.

Ours are the Shiras variety. May be smaller than yours :shocked2:

I was thinking that flintlock75 would be shooting @ the Yukon variety being in Alaska. But yeah, I'm guessing we have a variety on Eatern Canadian Moose here in New England and as such, think a load geared towards Alaskan Moose would be a solid place to start

COD

In my book, everything depends on the type of terrain you'll be hunting and your willingness to pass up shots.

Thick brush and short ranges can make it really tough to get the perfect broadside shot. More open terrain can make it tough to get close. If you can't get within optimum range or can't get a perfect broadside shot, are you willing to try again another day? Big decision.

I'd have no qualms about perfect broadside shots inside 50 yards with a 50 caliber RB. Stretch the range to 75 or angle the moose a little, and I'm not going to pull the trigger with a 50 RB. Probably wouldn't do it with a 54RB either. I want a 58 RB for shots out to 75 yards. And I probably wouldn't settle for much angle on the hit even with a 58 RB. But I'm willing to pass up shots and try again another day, even finish the season with lots of moose sightings but no shots. Are you?

If you're inclined to stretch the range and shoot at all angles, then you should also be inclined to shoot a conical and drive it hard. Your hunt and your choice. But it's also your responsibility to follow up and finish any game you wound, no matter what you fired the shot with.

I would use the .54 with a conical. If you get a .58 use a conical in that as well. Sometimes they don't know they should be dead. Have not been on a hunt but have several friends who have killed moose. Larry Wv

larry wv said:
Sometimes they don't know they should be dead.Wv

I left out another terrain factor. If there's water around, wounded moose seem to have water radar. If they don't drop quick, they're likely to get into water before they die. You'll feel like you died after standing all day in neck deep cold water to dismantle a moose.

And moose more than any other animal are just downright weird and unpredicable about what happens after you hit them. Some drop at the shot and some don't even act like they've been hit, at least for awhile.

Best examples I have are two I shot in successive years with non-muzzleloaders. Nearly identical ranges and shot angles- roughly 60 yards with a very slight angle from behind. Sent the bullets right under the edge of the rib cage and up to the opposite shoulder. First was shot with a 7mm mag and 160 grain bullets. Second was shot with a 375 H&H and 300 grain bullets. The 7mm bull dropped flat at the shot. The 375 bull kinda flinched, then took a few steps and raised its head for a bite of overhead willow, but dropped before he got his mouth around it.

Come to think of it, there's a third you need to know about. My hunting pard whacked one broadside at 100 yards with his 338 and 250-grain premium bullets. Clean, through-and-through lung shot. That sucker shambled off 50 yards and dropped while trying to cross a pond. The water was only 3 feet deep, but the mud below was 2 feet deep. Lower horn was buried in it and we couldn't get him out. Couldn't stand up to take him apart because we'd sink and mire in the mud. Had to basically sit neck deep in water all day while taking him apart. Darned moose anyway.

marmotslayer said:

Ours are the Shiras variety. May be smaller than yours :shocked2:

Correct,
The Canadian moose in the North East are a bit bigger but from what I have seen here in Gunnison where our Unhunted Taylor Park moose reside not much bigger.
This bull is a Shiras here in Gunnison allowed to reach full maturiaty.
DSCF2638-1.jpg

DSCF2657.jpg

Cabofdoom said:
flintlock75 said:

greenmntboy

where bouts in the state ya hale from? Im in north Chittenden Co. I pulled a Moose permit 4 seasons back and wasn't able to fill it. Had last minute issues with my 2nd shooter/guide...ended up with a last min. fill in who only wanted to road hunt...cant stand the lazy mentality :barf:

Since then, my wife and this year, my son (12) have taken up hunting. So 2nd shooter is covered, and my wife works w/ a guy who hunts alot out of his camp in WMU d-2 so the guides a lock too

now all I need is a tag :grin:

My famleys farm is on the Border East of Richford but I tramped all over Ontairo,Quebec,Maine etc...
I always make it back to guide if one of my famley or friends need a second gun or guide. Hopefully I'll draw my own tag soon, now that VT is going to a point system.
I haven't drawn as an out of stater in seven years.

:hmm:

110gr of FFF and a PRB is extremely BAD medicine.

I have been to 125gr FFF with my .54.

The only thing I might recommend is cast some balls with wheel weights.

Might help on getting a pass through.

With all this being said, This seems like a wonderful opportunity to get yourself a .62 Jaeger.

I built a big Jaeger couple years back to go grizzly hunting with.

jaeger38.jpg

I am here to tell you a .62 wheel weight PRB pushed with 140gr of FF is BAD - make that VERY BAD medicine.

Sighting it in and load development off the bench cleared up my sinuses for about 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back