• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kodiak from 1976

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have owned a .50 cal Pedersoli Kodiak for a long time and want to hunt deer with it this season. It functions perfectly but I'm struggling to get it regulated at 50 to 100 yards. It's on paper but the barrels cross at 50 yards by 4 to 5 inches. I use 70 grains of 2F powder in my .50 percussion and flintlock single barrel rifles to great success but not so much in the double Kodiak.
I'm looking for loads using primarily .50 cal round balls but, I have a bunch of PA Conical's I'd like to try. I'm thinking about 80 plus grains of 2F. Before heading back to the range I'd like to have some suggestions for loads and bullets.
The Kodiak's barrels are in great condition, but the rifling is shallow, not worn but not deep either. The right barrel is "tighter" than the left so, could that be part of the problem? It's not much tighter and the bore condition in both barrels is great.

Any advice is appreciated,

Best to all,
Don
I had a .58 Kodiak and experimented with different conicals and roundball. R.E.A.L. conicals did not do well at all. Black Widow conicals shot pretty good. The very best group and regulation I got was with 100 grains 2f Goex, wonder ticking and .570 balls. One big ragged hole at 50 yards, 6 shots - 3 from each barrel. Don't know that there is anything in this that would be helpful with your .50, but this is what I have.

I was finally able to get to the range today for a little while. I took only 6 shots in 2 hours in between conversations with guys I have not seen in a while. However, I have my Kodiak double rifle at a point that the next time out it will be regulated.
First, I squared up the sights, then I filed a bit wider notch in the rear sights as there was barely a slit to see the front sight. I shot at 50 yards and the rifle was shooting about 5 inches left. I started with 80 gr. 2F and went to 95 gr's on the last shot. The left barrel is now dead center at the bottom of the 6" target using 85 gr's of 2F. I can work with that. The right barrel shot a bit high right using 95 gr's 2F but, I think that was me being a bit shakey after holding this thing up for every shot.
I know what to do now and will report back after my next trip to the range.
Thanks again for all suggestions and help.

Picture shows right barrel and left barrel shots in order of firing.
Don
Kodiak targetAug.8,23.jpg

I left out that I was shooting a 490-round ball with pillow ticking patch cut at the muzzle. I have PA Conicals that I want to try next time.

As scar as finding a gunsmith to regulate the barrels, that is a specialty trade. I remember reading an article about Rigby rifles in America. The gentleman who regulated their double rifles here was given a special visa because he was one of the few people trained to regulate double rifles.

Keep up your testing, more is not always better. Slowing down will help keep from X-ing: dwell time and recoil. I’ve witnessed some modern DR shoot well and some not so well. I doubt any modern DR is regulated like an original, even with originals - better makers spent more time regulating than others..
I’ve owned, shot and hunted with this DR for 30+ years and it still my favorite of any DR I’ve owned.
Good luck.
IMG_2091.jpeg

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is some states allow only single shot muzzle loaders in their primitive season. As an example in my state that double could be used in the regular rifle season but not during muzzle loading season.
Yeah, same as Calif.gun bias. With archery the sky is the limit, modern archery is no more akin to 16, 17 or 18th century equipment than a ww1 Spad to a P51.
same ol same ol.

blitz

Latest posts

Back