• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

modena hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know were I can get plans or good pics of the Mariano Modena Hawken. I have the book "Hawken Rifle the mountianmen choice" by Barid. Any help would be great

Hey 1eyed, In the Jan/Feb issue of Muzzleloader, Ron Kil has a story about Mariano Modena and his rifle. You might contact Ron about that gun and it's new owner. Also, that rifle was on the cover of The Plains Rifle by Hanson many years ago. That might give you a little help. The most detailed view of the gun, in my opinion, is in Hawken Rifles by John Baird. He says that rifle was re-barreled by Sam Hawken at his shop in Denver and more than likely that's the way it was. And, for what it's worth, the Modena Hawken is one of my favorites. If you find more info, please share it here, Le Grand.

Looking for something like this? If your anywhere close to the Colorado State Museum in Denver, go see the original Modena up close. Then talk to the curator about the museum correspondence with J.B. on the Modena rifle. One piece of correspondence from the museum I read states that the Modena is in fact 54 cal not 58 as stated in the book. The curator corrected the author and pointed out that the muzzle was funnel crowned and did measure 58 cal but the actual bore was 54 cal.
MODENAHAWKENSILVERINLAYSWITHIRONPAT.jpg
[/img]
MODENAHAWKEN54CAL.jpg

That's a nice pic of the patchbox. Could you e-mail it to me. Along with the full size pics of the rifle. thanks

So that's it! I like the inlayed stars. Could you repost the shot of the overall view, please?

LSU TIGER said:
So that's it! I like the inlayed stars. Could you repost the shot of the overall view, please?

Yeah I would like to see the full size phot my self! :thumbsup: Please kind sir!

Davy

The stars, and patchbox, is only one of the interesting aspects of the Modena gun. Baird believes it was rebarreled, and relocked by ole Sam in Denver, with a barrel fromKephart of St. Louis, and a new old style lock to replace the worn out one. n There is also a picture of a steel wearplate on the underside that runs from the rear thimble to the triggerguard, and held in place by 14 nails. He also list the stats of the rifle. Barrel 34&3/4", .58 cal., 1&3/16" at breach. Weight is 12 & 1/2 lbs. Patchbox is iron, with nine silver stars of coin silver. The lock is marked A. Meier, St. Louis. Stock is walnut. The buttplate and forend are of sheet Iron. The buttplate was welded together. barrel key escuteons are of iron and held in place with screws. There's more but am tired of typing. Hope this helps. The info is from "Hawken Rifles, the Mountian Man's Choice", by John Baird

Bill

LSU Tiger and Davy. I'll take some good digital photo's in the morning and post them. LSU Tiger, I built this Modena while living in your neck of the swamp-Oakdale.

I know where Oakdale is, 54! The wife and I went to Mamou, took a wrong turn and wound up there... :shake: How long have you been in that foreign country? :rotf:

Bill, your correct there are 14 brads holding the wear plate in place. As requested here are some photo's of my Modena.

Modenalockplateengraved.jpg
[/img]
ModenaHawkentopfullview.jpg
[/img]
ModenaHawkenleftfullvew.jpg
[/img]
ModenaHawkenfulllengthrightview.jpg
[/img]

Nice photos 54! :hatsoff: Can you give us some details about the rifle? Did you build it, when was it built, what are the specs? Hope you did not post this info elswhere! :hmm:

Davy

And I wish youd post them on the Hawken 2 site we need the pics! Is'nt this the one J is building? FRED :hatsoff:

Boy you nailed the copy, that's a real ugly beautiful rifle. They certianly are an aquired tast in my book, kinda like a good single malt scotch. Hopefully my copy of the J.J. Henry iron mounted will look as close to the original as yours does. Bill

Back