• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1 7/8 " Percussion Hammer Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How would you be sure the timing is right? Seems to me theres a lot of variance in the way the square lays out depending what make of lock.

I'll have to file a square out of some cold rolled and solder into the hole and then re-cut the hole to fit. It's a little tedious but I've done it before.

I checked with Dixie and they didn't have anything that would look right.

Im sure youve considered heating your original hammers neck and tweaking it ahead that 1/8”? I think Id try that before welding in a new square.

Just a thought, but why not jig your new hammer up in a drill press vise and cut out the square with a hole saw? Then you could just rotate that square to proper position and weld or solder it back in. It might be easier than filing out a new square hole.

That's a possibility but I'm not that good of a gas welder and tig is a no-go for me. Filing out a square is pretty easy with needle files if I drill a hole just under the minor diameter of the tumbler shaft and then square it up. I solved the problem this afternoon by soldering in a square in the original hole and then filing in a new one down and back from the original. It took a little bending to fit the hammer nose and get it square to the nipple. It busts caps just fine.
If I'd have gotten the blasted lock positioned right in the first place I would have saved a lot of time. It's not the first time I've spent hours figuring out how to fix my blunders and I know it won't be the last. Thanks for the suggestions!

Back