• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage India-made Fusil de Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very old Turkish miquelet flintlock, waiting to be used on a build of some sort. It’s a very crude lock, but after I installed a new properly tempered frizzen insert, it sparked and set off a small priming charge 15 out of 15 times until I got tired of wasting powder. If the India gun makers could somehow used better quality materials, and better workmanship, they could corner the market in some areas.

$1700 for I have no idea as your picture doesn't show. From your description it sounds like you waited around and found a deal. Comparing a found deal to what's available in the market doesn't seem right. I traded a blunderbuss for a 1929 Buick but wouldn't suggest to anyone wanting a 29 Buick to wait around until they found a comparable deal. Or fair comparison might be suggesting someone wait until they can find an India discard for $50 just because they were lucky enough to get something that cheap once. Anyways a "bargain" at 1700 sounds like there is nothing remotely comparable at more than double the price. I don't bad mouth harbor freight tools at harbor freight prices not being snapon quality.

Oh and GAoP is golden age of pyracy

I have a very old Turkish miquelet flintlock, waiting to be used on a build of some sort. It’s a very crude lock, but after I installed a new properly tempered frizzen insert, it sparked and set off a small priming charge 15 out of 15 times until I got tired of wasting powder. If the India gun makers could somehow used better quality materials, and better workmanship, they could corner the market in some areas.
When someone has me do an Indian lock to pass my standards that means bench testing with only power in the pan for 20 shots, no cleaning repriming, knapping ect. It must pass with 90% or better reliability, worst passing score 20/22. The not cleaning between shots is the killer. Many off the shelf domestic locks don't pass.

The link works for me. It's a English doglock breechloading rifle in 12 bore.
save your money and buy quality is always good advice. So it takes a couple more years to get what you want, big deal. You'll be far better off in the end. Especially when it's time to sell that item off. And that time always comes.

The link works for me. It's a English doglock breechloading rifle in 12 bore.
save your money and buy quality is always good advice. So it takes a couple more years to get what you want, big deal. You'll be far better off in the end. Especially when it's time to sell that item off. And that time always comes.
Lol-
Beautiful piece, just how often does something like that come up for sale at that price? No offense but it sounds like you are literally suggesting waiting for someone to win the lottery! I bet you wouldn't trade it for the Ferguson I just finished, that would put it at 6-10 times the cost of an India doglock musket. As I said earlier
"If there is anything less than twice the cost comparable I would be interested"

There are many people here that are buying/selling/using pendersoli queen Anne's. I don't tell them they are junk and they should save up for the real deal from blackley or TRS. I know people have fun with them and while one can be found for several hundred the others are thousands. I suggest you take a more realistic approach with what is available in the market.

When someone has me do an Indian lock to pass my standards that means bench testing with only power in the pan for 20 shots, no cleaning repriming, knapping ect. It must pass with 90% or better reliability, worst passing score 20/22. The not cleaning between shots is the killer. Many off the shelf domestic locks don't pass.
Wow!!!!
I baby my flints. The lock is wiped down every third or forth shot, the steel/hammer/frizzen wiped each shot when I prime.
Twenty shots???
Well the low humidity west is a lot better at fouling then high humidity areas but Davis,chambers Land R all get the same treatment as my Loyalist

Lol-
Beautiful piece, just how often does something like that come up for sale at that price? No offense but it sounds like you are literally suggesting waiting for someone to win the lottery! I bet you wouldn't trade it for the Ferguson I just finished, that would put it at 6-10 times the cost of an India doglock musket. As I said earlier
"If there is anything less than twice the cost comparable I would be interested"

There are many people here that are buying/selling/using pendersoli queen Anne's. I don't tell them they are junk and they should save up for the real deal from blackley or TRS. I know people have fun with them and while one can be found for several hundred the others are thousands. I suggest you take a more realistic approach with what is available in the market.
How to wisely spend your money is an ancient subject. It applies to everything in life.

Wow!!!!
I baby my flints. The lock is wiped down every third or forth shot, the steel/hammer/frizzen wiped each shot when I prime.
Twenty shots???
Well the low humidity west is a lot better at fouling then high humidity areas but Davis,chambers Land R all get the same treatment as my Loyalist
It was designed as a brutal test, something to separate locks that wouldn't pass. When tuned to this stage it's common to get hundreds of shots per flint.

How to wisely spend your money is an ancient subject. It applies to everything in life.
I don't think the topic was how to wisely spend your money but availability in the market. So far realistically you have demonstrated there in no alternative for early weapons and you claim it would be stupid to spend on the only available option. This is what I get out of what you are saying. If I have misunderstood you please let me know where.

I don't consider 20 shots to be brutal.
With no cleaning, no powder down the bore, no repriming, no knapping? It isn't about 20 shots it becomes whether it can still ignite as the residue and buildup increases. 100 shots are easy if you are checking/cleaning/tweaking between shots. Just thought I would clarify

You get what you pay for. Pay once, cry once.

If you want a representative wall hanger, anyone with any knowledge will walk in, see a cheap gun, and know it for what it is, and for what it isn't.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for. Pay once, cry once.

If you want a representative wall hanger, anyone with any knowledge will walk in, see a cheap gun, and know it for what it is, and for what it isn't.
Is that true?
How close is a perdisoli bess to an original?
The veteran arms 63 charley is hard to tell from an original, especially if you do just a little work with it, and it’s much more correct than Pedersoli.
Via the Indian guns you can get some arms that just are not available except as a one of a kind contract.
I am put in mind of the costume items offered by Townsend, they run about half the price of his best.
However look at a newbie wanting to start. Write me a check for twenty k and I’ll put you in camp. What can’t afford that, well this isn’t the sport for you.
Eight hundred dollars for a working mostly correct arm and two to five times that amount for the very best May be the difference between a new enthusiast in our dwindling ranks and a guy who says I’d like to do that but for the cost

Bought a 1777 Charleville from Loyalist last year, looks fair as a wall hanger. Surprised I got away with it, but better to ask forgiveness than permission and SWMBO actually liked it, so I have my 1861 Springfield hanging on the other side of the header)
View attachment 266577
Had some spare time last weekend so I figured what the heck and took the barrel off, cleaned, marked and measured it then shot a proof load out of it in my back yard
View attachment 266578
Wish I has thought to take a video - I was a good 75 yards away from the thing when the fuse (supplied along with a ball from Loyalist when shipped) burned down. Son of a gun if it didn't ring my 18" gong hard when it shot, and not a bad hit considering I just kind of swag eye-balled the location of my garden cart from about 35 yards outView attachment 266580
Now I'm going to have to cast some .662 balls and actually shoot the darn thing for real
Neat set-up! Very cool! Way to go.

Is that true?
No.
There are many pieces I would like to see produced that are not. Taking custom individual builds off the table if I wanted a pirate period correct blunderbuss which for GAoP would be a doglock my choices are India or nothing. I use pirate and blunderbuss as an example as it is something appealing to many that would be new to the hobby. There is no better option. Maybe you want a hand mortar, same thing, how about a doglock pistol, the list goes on and on.

Dear Sir,
I have owned Military Heritage, Middlesex village and Loyalist Arms. I still own 2 Loyalist muskets. The MH just was not finished as well and had a ridiculous trigger pull. In my opinion, Loyalist is the only way to go for Indian imports.
David
Good in-put. You have the actual experience to back up your statements. Thanks. You're "loyal" to Loyalist! I'll keep in mind.

I don't think the topic was how to wisely spend your money but availability in the market.
Well, actually, as the OP of this thread, the topic has gone so far afield of what I began with, that at this point, who can say what it is now? All part of the fun, I suppose .... :cool:

I wouldn't have even one if someone else paid for it.
Post like this one reinforces my opinion that a thumbs down icon as a ‘Like’ option is needed.
I’m 68 and may not have 5 years to wait for that perfect piece show up. Not going to spend my remaining years like that.
This poster should consider the old adage about opening mouth to remove all doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back