• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Military Heritage Brown Bess ball size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone having one or experience with one, mind sharing what size balls you use with them?
Also, what did the barrel mic out at, if you got a chance to measure it?
Got a 0.735" ball mould from ballmoulds.com for my Loyalist Arms 1839 Tower Percussion conversion musket replica which they state to use with 0.020" thick lubed patches.
Was wondering what numbers you were getting.

Thanks,

Traditionally such guns were fired with wading. Or with a paper cartridge. For cartridges you need a .690-.715
With a .735 ball you may need .15 patch. You can also load direct on powder with a wad in front, or two wads one underneath and one above.
Every smoothie shooter has at least twenty different best ways to shoot.
Paper in a cartridge that size will be too thick to load easy, but can go bare and the paper used as top wading

Did you get the mold before the musket?

You wont be able to use paper cartridges with that size but maybe you don't want to.
I got the mould based on what Loyalist Arms specified in the paperwork with the musket. I know it may get me a ding on my man card for reading instructions prior to use; but, such is RN life.
Not so interested in using paper cartridges as much as putting the biggest hole possible through those boar on the back 40. Hence, the use of a tightly patched LRB.

I've even looked at getting .mil surp 20 - 40mm barrels for a wall gun thingie to mount on one window of the blind.

When we roll our cartridges for live fire during woods walks or live fire military events, we use 0.715" ball in our paper cartridges. The bores of our muskets vary from the 0.750" of the Pedersolis to the 0.770 of some of the Loyalist Arms. We did have one member using a Mirouko musket with a 0.690 bore but that one ended up being only used with blanks.

Back