• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How much Sprue?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaman

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just had a chance to try out my new .735 mould from ballmoulds.com. See Bess' Bigger Balls.

The mould comes with no sprue cutter. The site suggests using diagonal cutters to cut the sprue. That's what I did. It leaves a nub.

How do y'all deal with what's left? With the first batch, I just used the belt sander to grind them off, but somehow I don't see that being what our forefathers did.

BTW: I use the proper English spelling of "mould" because it came from Britain, and it's going in a Brown Bess.

Use a tight patch/ball combination and when you seat the ball the nub should flatten out so as to not cause any problems at short yardages. If you were shooting out to 100 yards or farther or want to use a looser load, I would maybe try putting the balls between two heavy pieces of smooth steel or tile and roll them around between them and that should flatten the nubs.

Nip the sprue off and put the balls (15-20 )in a plastic coffee can and shake them for a couple of minutes….

It kinda dimples the ball and flattens the remaining sprue..👍

I cut as close as I can then put them in a Harbor Freight rock tumbler for a little while. Comes out nice and shiny and no more spru.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230619-100746_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230619-100746_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230619-100624_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230619-100624_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230619-100619_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230619-100619_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Most of my molds are from Lee and leave no sprue. But I have many other molds that do leave a sprue. I cut the sprue off, file it off, and-or tumble them. For those I also load sprue up if one is left on them.

I just had a chance to try out my new .735 mould from ballmoulds.com. See Bess' Bigger Balls.

The mould comes with no sprue cutter. The site suggests using diagonal cutters to cut the sprue. That's what I did. It leaves a nub.

How do y'all deal with what's left? With the first batch, I just used the belt sander to grind them off, but somehow I don't see that being what our forefathers did.

BTW: I use the proper English spelling of "mould" because it came from Britain, and it's going in a Brown Bess.
It’s going in to a bess.
Smoothies can shoot pretty small, but odd it would be that it can match a rifle. The chances are your group from a bess will not be enough that spur will make a difference.

I just load sprue up. As soon as you pop the ball into the bore with the nub end of the short starter, the sprue is isually gone. Oh wait, I'm thinking rifles, sorry.

You can buy diagonal cutters ground like toenail cutters. Mine is a 40 yr. old , really junkie foreign one , and probably didn't cost over a buck. I use them to trim silver wire inlay , when I do it , almost never these days. Used to cut sprue's from the old Dixie Gun Works scissor mold balls. They had prominent sprues.

There is a cutter called Gate Cutters that have a curved cutting edge and cuts off the spruce pretty close to flush. They are for curing the plastic nubs off extruded parts.

I just nip off the sprue and don’t worry about any nub remaining. Load it nub up. With our guns it does not affect the accuracy enough to matter any. The iron sights make it impossible to see any difference with or without a sprue nub. Thus nothing to worry about.

I use Tanner molds for a couple of the calibers I shoot. They have no built in sprue cutters. I simply use the heavy duty toenail cutters that look like diagonal wire cutters. They nip the sprues off almost as flat as the Lee molds do. Plus they are spring opening for faster use. BJH

Try twisting the ball while cutting with side cutters, seems to get a smoother cut

Latest posts

Back