• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex Village muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shine,

Never said nothin' about keepin it with the "Other Guns"... :blah:

I might bring this to the Fall Vous and shoot the Smoothbore Woodswalk with it. Somebody has to bring somethin' to keep NitWit's Pedersoli Carbine company... :rotf:

gizamo

your work finish price is bloody good :thumbsup: & this is not atrick question why dont you test fire the guns you build, like i said the question is not loaded is it a request from your customer ?

1601phill said:
your work finish price is bloody good :thumbsup: & this is not atrick question why dont you test fire the guns you build, like i said the question is not loaded is it a request from your customer ?
Several different reasons. I don't have range access as I live in town and I doubt any customer wants me to charge them for the several hours for a trip to the range to test fire their gun...especially when I know it's going to work due to the high quality parts I put into it. I don't have supplies to shoot all the calibers I build. This may change inside of the next month as I'm moving and will be able to shoot out of my shop door....but I doubt I'll shoot many customers guns.

I bought a Matchlock from them about a month ago. Transaction was fine. Shipped when they said Rifle is as was shown. They seem to stand behind their guns. As far as buying a Indian gun. This one shoots well, quality is a little lacking but not to bad. I looked everywhere for a matchlock and money was no object but I am not willing to wait 2 years. I buy American when I can as I am a retired Auto Worker and cant believe the people who buy foreign cars. If anyone made a matchlock in a reasonable time 6 months or less I would have been first in line.

sell off some stuff I don't want any more (for a profit of course) and shop wisely.

That's part of my problem. I keep acquiring guns (not just MLers). I have never sold any of them. I know many shooters buy and sell and trade guns regularly - it's part of what they do within this hobby (or business for some). Me...I don't buy a gun unless I intend to keep it.
When I was first considering buying a Fowler, the suggestion was made that I would do well to have one made for me (true enough...I have one on order). The thought, though, that was right there next to the suggestion was "well, what do I shoot in the meantime....while I'm saving and waiting?"
I have never seen this question addressed in these discussions.
Perhaps there is a place for inexpensive guns - luckily, I was able to find a less expensive American gun that I have been using and will continue to use until the custom gun is ready and I can afford to pay for it. Will I try to sell the beater, probably not.
Pete

pete i for one agree but can only hit the paper at 50 yards and dont hunt so most of the time im just thowing lead
met with a local black powder club they all agreed i need a target size of a buick but i sure look good with the guns i took
i asked witch gun you liked they all picked a different one i had custom to imported so uts seems its a personal choice or a finacial one
so if they make smoke and seem safe they all a-ok

I recently decided to get back in to shooting muzzleloaders (traditional, not the scoped inline stuff). I haven't shot black powder since high school. I support Mike Brooks' point about buying from American builders. I love the fact that there are craftsman in the US doing this and hopefully passing the skills on to apprentices. Now about money, I looked at Mike's website and I'm estimating that you could get out the door with a nice rifle for about $2500 to $3000 if you tried to be economical. They are beautiful guns but the price is way above the better imports available from say Dixie Gun Works. Now here's my main point: The good imports like the Pedersolis are not cheap! Most are well over $1000. So here's what I did. Go to a company like Track of the Wolf (for example) and buy a rifle or fowler made by a contemporary American builder using quality American made parts that is either used or very plain. They are commonly available at prices about the same as the better Pedersolis and I still get the good feeling of supporting American craftsmanship.

PS---My first post, forgive me. I didn't mean this as a direct response to Buzz but I can't seem to delete that. I was just adding my two cents worth to the overall thread.

HWH im ok and value all views and like you money of lack of extra in my budget makes things hard
to jump right in
Mr Brooks make very valid points buying american but what i emded up doing was finding and contacting a few makers and buying a gun from one of them some like Sitting Fox or tenn valley manufactureing and many others often have trade in or used/new guns for sale sell used guns $500 to $1000 range also the for sales here have some nice one and one other place is gun broker but do your homework if you go there
i ended up buying three semi custom guns $700 to $900 range used and cheaper the a custom biulder but spenta little more then curry smokers

That's my plan too. I hadn't thought about asking TVM about trade-ins. Good idea. I think used is a good way to go for those of us on a budget.

try ray at sitting fox he has about a dozen and i bought several he always treated me ok
also tenn valley manfactureing out of ole miss
for me i never cared if im the first to make her smoke
my point is just start asking/search you'l be surprised i sure was of whats out for that $500 to a grand range that is something fun to own

What I have seen of their stuff looks good if you stand far enough away and squint yor eyes just so. They make pretty good wall hangers and they are great for reinacting where you shoot blanks and don't mind your gun being banged around a bit but if I were lookinig for a "shooter", I'd save up my bucks and buy something that was made for shooting. You could get a used T/C for less than one of those Indian made guns and have somethign that you know will shoot and will hold together.

My advice is to save a bit more and buy something that you wikll regret a lot less.

Just the opinion of an old fart. Take if for what it's worth.

hey bill you are correct but do some checken you can find some good stuff
pays a lot to look ask and inquire
but i sold/traded the curry stick faster and for more then the T/C's ive owned go figure
i pass on both now

I shot my 1717 musket today in a novelty match ,took out poker chips,bowling pins, water bottles,gong at 50 yrds and a few others.Shooting against rifles and held my own.
There may be more historical pc correct guns but I like em fine.

Back