• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Middlesex Village muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started reading this posting from the 1st and its like every other posting "that when someone ask about Either Loyalist arms or Middlesex village. It always becomes a shouting match about which gun is best.Do the Indian guns compete with the custom made guns, That answer is simple "NO"
Do I own a custom made $1200+ Gun "NO" can I afford to buy a $1200+ gun without saving up for a year, More than likely. but can I justify paying $1200+ for a gun "NO" Do I own a Indian made Musket "YES" Did I have to smooth the lock "YES" Am I redoing the stock for a better fit "YES" Am I happy with the Gun "Yes" Because I enjoy making the rifle look and function better to suit my needs.Do I shoot it "YES 100+ rounds have been put through it. Its my Gun and if you want to look down your nose at me because I bought it. Well go ahead, do I Care NO
Swampy this is not directed at you. But to all the negative postings about the Indian made Guns. They say they are unsafe, so why has Middlesex Village and Loyalist Arms been in business as long as they have. If they were un-safe to shoot.

buzz said:
anyone have any info on this trader of smooth bore muskets

Buzz,

Which gun in the Middlesex line are you considering?

I have handled a couple of Middlesex Village guns. I found some of the smoothbores to be of interest. One of my good friends has one and love's it. We've shot it and it performed fine. With a little work it could be made to look like a pretty decent gun. The lock could use a minor tuning but it sparks like mad.

Yeah,give this man a round of applause!
Probably like most on this forum,I'm not
a BP ceo making a million bucks a year
and have other finacial commitments
other than just buying custom made
smoke poles,point being some of us
have to buy what we can afford and go
from there !

Rob :thumbsup:

Well said, thank you. While I have the greatest respect for custom made guns and those with the skill to make such things I am only just getting into flintlocks after years of shooting BPCR and various cap locks. I don't know if I will stick with it in the long run and for me blow $1200, or even a grand just going in would be foolish. My first BP shooter was a used CVA Hawken I got for $50, it was years later before I was dropping thousands on BP cartridge rifles and reproduction LeMat's and so on. The Indian guns have their place, and they are safe, I have shot more than 500 rounds through the ones I have with no problems, and now I am at the point were I am enjoying myself enough to start entertaining the idea of a custom gun . The economy has put a massive kink in my plans to do so right away, maybe in a year, so for now I will bang away with my Indian made Ships carbine, and Long Land Bess. Bashing another mans gear publicly over and over again no matter what the reasoning is is not cool and can become extremely irritating. We all have to start someplace and better with a cheaper Indian gun that something much more expensive that may end up in a closet for 30 years because the owner lost intrest after a couple of months.

Poordevil that was way out of line. Sadly not only have most of us sold out to the chinese and buy their gabbage but some of us have also lost the ability to treat others with curtesy and respect.

swamp and others
Some people take reanacting very serious and judging by your post more serious than you want to do it. my comment is really rather harsh!
Well maybe it is but to those i have met have realy been not so nice as if you dont do the whole thing you shouldn't do any of it. i'm generaly speaking here and i think i fin d a few who wont be so picky who they shot with
for myself on price i find it hard even to blow $600+ for a gun and shoot what i can afford and have as much fun as those spending more or less then me

for myself on price i find it hard even to blow $600+
Well that may be part of your problem. I never "blow" money on guns. I "invest" money in guns. Your Indian guns are going to be worth 50% less than what you paid for them as soon as you use them. There's a guy on another board with an Indian made NE fowler that can't get any takers for $450. If you save your money and buy quality guns with a name and spend some time shopping around for them you'll end up with guns that will always retain their value and easily INCREASE in value. I have been able to buy 3 shilohs, a custom Lone Star rolling block and 2 Custom stevens 44 1/2 shutzen rifles in the past couple years because I save money, sell off some stuff I don't want any more (for a profit of course) and shop wisely. All of these guns will increase in value.
I shouldn't have to lecture on economics with a bunch of grown men. :shake:
If you have to have instant gratification, and can tolerate low quality with a low price then by all means buy as many Indian made guns as you can. You'll never have anything more than a collection of less than desirable guns with little to no resale value.
I wonder how many times I have given this lecture on this board? :idunno:
And please, in these tough economic times BUY AMERICAN. I have never suggested anyone here buy my stuff, just buy something made in this country. :patriot:

"I save money, sell off some stuff I don't want any more (for a profit of course) and shop wisely"

man i'm glad to know i'm not the only person who sells stuff to buy a gun :haha: i've got a walker for sale and an enfield calling my name :haha:

medic302 said:
"I save money, sell off some stuff I don't want any more (for a profit of course) and shop wisely"

man i'm glad to know i'm not the only person who sells stuff to buy a gun :haha: i've got a walker for sale and an enfield calling my name :haha:
It's the only way I could have ended up with what I have. I never buy a gun I'm going to loose money on.

Hey guys, let's play nice here!

A lot of things are being said on both sides that just get people's breeches and shirttails in a twist (trying to put it in 18th century terms).

Most people know that talking Indian-made guns in front of Mike Brooks is like waving a red flag in front of a bull while jabbing him in the @$$ with a stick. There are others who agree with him and believe that Indian guns are little better than pipe bombs or !n!i^e$.

On the other side, there are people here who are happy with their Indian-made guns and either view them as "good," "good enough," or "decent in the white kits" to work on.

Both views have some validity, depending on what you are looking at. I've seen some Indian guns that I wouldn't want to shoot, but I've seen others that are decent, particularly for military or contract arms for reenactors, who want something that can get banged up in the field without making them cry.

I own one Indian-made steel pistol. It is definitely not high art, but it is functional and I've fired it safely numerous times. I also own two modern custom rifles, a semi-custom smoothbore, and some antique British pistols by makers such as Nock, Twigg, or Lancaster, and they are works of art. My latest piece is a Japanese Bess that is decent, but will take some work to look "just right."

Of course, most of the custom guns out there, if done by a good builder, are the top of the line. Some are historically accurate down to the last detail, and some are beautiful works of art that fall into the "fantasy" or "contemporary art" categories. They also tend to be "top of the line" in price and require long wait times, often years.

Semi-custom makers produce guns that range from equal in quality to some custom pieces down to so-so, depending on maker, customer's wishes, and price. I've seen beautiful ones from Matt and Slash at TVM and some other makers, but I've also heard horror stories about other semi-custom outfits. The prices of semi-custom guns are generally lower than "bespoke" pieces, and the wait time is generally shorter, although again, there have been horror stories.

Most production guns are made abroad, in Italy, Spain, or India. The quality of all of these varies widely, but few would argue that they have the grace or the historical accuracy of custom pieces. They may, however, be acceptable (or even ideal) for hunters, plinkers, reenactors, and some target shooters who like BP but do not care about historically correct details. Their biggest advantage is the lack of wait time. Sometimes, particularly with Indian pieces, the prices are cheaper, but then you give up something in terms of attention to historical accuracy and in some cases, quality.

As for the "buy American" argument, it is nice to support American craftsmen, but if one wants historical accuracy, then for the period until about 1815, an import is just as accurate as an American-made piece. All Brown Besses, most trade guns, and many or most of the other pieces found in the early US were either completely fabricated abroad or featured locks and furniture made in Europe. Some guns then were works of art; others were cheap, low-quality pieces churned out for quick sale. Many featured hammer-welded, seamed barrels that all of us would shy away from, and there are numerous stories of guns either failing to function or blowing up on firng (a bit of historical authenticity that I, for one, will gladly forego). Buying American pieces is generally best for the US economy, but importers and vendors are also American, and buying from them helps them make a living, just as we hope to export products abroad. Should we all stop buying Swiss or KIK powder, English flints, or petroleum products (that are generally imports)? As in all things, some moderation is probably the best course, applying Aristotle's principle of the "golden mean" from his Ethics (come to think of it, in its origins, representative democracy is also an import)

We are all interested in shooting archaic firearms, and to many, we are nuts in the first place for liking BP or guns at all. If those who like custom guns would stop attacking anyone who buys a production gun and those who own production guns would stop claiming that their pieces are just as nice as any custom maker's and attack anyone who points out deficiencies in production pieces, we could avoid a lot of rancor and keep information flowing.

Sorry to be so long, but it's annoying to see threads like this degenerate into ongoing fights that rehash old animosities. To answer the original question, MVTC sells guns imported from India. They have a good reputation personally for service, and the pieces they sell have a reputation as equal to or slightly better than Indian-made pieces from other importers.

If that earler postwas an attempt to insult me you will find that to be a waste of time, if more people would do some real research on these guns many good deals can be found on the many classified for $600 and up sometimes less, this is often the price of the parts or less, the Indian guns speak for themselves when one looks at the websites, and there is a market for that level of gun, it is probably best not to try and elevate the quality/historical factor due to wood selection alone in the presence of 40 year gun builder/historians for the obvious reasons. I am begining to think there should be a room behind a closed door behind a curtain down a dark hallway to have a place to talk about them, I don't care if folks like them, buy them, just don't tell me you can make them PC/HC with some polishing and wood removal and exchanging the bamboo ramrod for a Ramin one, if they and other similar that cannot meet the HC/PC standard work for folks by all means use them but accept what they are and aren't and don't stretch them farther than they will go.The same goes for the Frontier and it being F&I rifle from what the write up says,many do not know any better and argueing things into a place they do not belong does them a disservice.

this is not aimed at you Medic.

pros and cons to both
colmoultrie post should be read by all in this thread
if i had to put food on the table i sure buuy the best one i can find

nkvd said:
What really surprises me is that the Chinese
haven't started turning out smoke poles,hell
the make everything else!

Rob :idunno:
God don't say that. Norinco will have them by Christmas :shake:

When these muskets came out, the unit I reenacted with voted not to allow them. We were not comfortable with the quality. I stand by that vote 100%
On the other hand, I know a guy who loves the India gun, because people are constantly bringing them to his shop for repairs. He's making a killing! Never saw that kind of business with Pedersoli or Navy Arms.
Mike Brooks, I only have one custom made gun, a rifle Kit Ravenshear built me when I was 16, but If I ever buy another, it will be from you. You hit the nail on the head in some of your earlier posts. Your a fine American, and a hell of a craftsman. ( will that get me anything off the price?) :haha:

Mike Brooks said:
... my back log is 1 1/2 years to 2 years most of the time.

I'd labor and save and sell some stuff to buy a $1500 gun that would last me for the rest of my life and consider it an investment, but I don't want to wait that two years to get into reenacting.
I'd be missing out on too much by waiting that long.
However, a year and a half wait will be fine after I have an Indian musket (hand picked and proofed by myself if need be) to tide me over.

An observation and to no one in particular.

I have probably seen 100 of these threads the time I have been here. I have scrolled down the main page whenever I see them and a lot of the time I can count one or two other threads with Middlesex Village in the title. Sometimes it seems some are to lazy to at least scroll down the first page and see if the question they about to ask has been asked before. I'm not saying that was done in this case, just saying from what I have seen in past postings about these guns.

I am convinced that some of these threads, again I'm not accussing the original poster of this thread of this but I am convinced there has been some that were posted just for the sake of causing a problem among some of us with always causing arguing. If thats the case, those that do it, I hope you have fun giggling like a little girl playing your game. :shake:

Or.... We could stop falling for the trick.
But if we could this would not exist.
soldier_size_mouse_trap.jpg

OK,

I went and bought one. The Officers Fusil....

Here is the initial report.

High Quality :thumbsup:

Fit and fitment are exceptional for the price. The guns finish leaves little to be desired for a gun representative of the era.

Frankly I'm Floored... it's a good gun for a great price.

Oh yeah....range review.

Performed 100% reliably, hit at exact point of aim at 25 yards with a 610 PRB over 60grs of ffG.

Patterned wonderfully with shot...

Highly recommend if my gun is representative of the ones they are currently producing. :grin:

Pics here....
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/248050/pid/874337/post/last/m/1/#LAST

Last edited by a moderator:
Back