• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mexico and muzzleloaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Althought I do not forsee myself hunting anything south of the border, I wonder what veiw does the Mexican Govt have on muzzleloaders?

Anyone care to make any comments or have experience?

Dwain Bland touches on this subject in his "Turkey Hunter's Digest". (2nd edition was 1994, so it is getting old). Bland talks a lot about his trips to Mexico hunting the Rio and Goulds subspecies. It seems that in 1994 there were very few gun or game laws in effect that applied or were widely respected and enforced. Mexican citizens would hunt turkeys with any gun they had for example. Bland suggests that the lax gun/game laws were one thing for Mexicans, but quite another for Americans, and he suggested following all regulations to the letter. Bland is a blackpowder traditionalist and prefers to hunt with his original side-by-side muzzleloading shotguns and sometimes with a longrifle. His discussion of these subjects is worth reading the book for even aside from the topic of Mexico. His discussion of the Sierra Madre Mountains and the tough hunting there may be of interest to you if you have plans to go there. I would check with the Mexican government directly though for clarification of current gun and hunting laws.

Personally, I will not go to Mexico.

A few years ago, two men from Carson City, Nevada, went fishing in the countryside in Mexico.

They have never been found, although their newer Ford pickup truck was identified as someone was using it a few months later.

JMO

While I never hunt in Mexico, I do travel extensively in many parts of the Country. The very best advice that anyone could give you is to be very,very careful about taking ANY weapon of any type across. Black powder :shocked2: :shocked2: OH MY GOD :youcrazy:. You can get two to seven years in jail for simply having a box of shotgun shells or rifle bullets in your vehicle! Ten plus years for having any firearm in your posession or in your vehicle! I would suspect that a can of black powder would probably get you at least thirty days in the electric chair :hmm:.

I suggest that you contact the Mexican Consul closest to you to get the requirements, and you should have anything said on the subject in writing, and even then....good luck!

You will never meet any people nicer than most Mexicans, especially in the rural areas in the interior. Things are not good, though, and I would be very cautious. There are guided quail and dove shoots on some of the Ranchos just across the Rio Grande (Rio Bravo if you're Mexican :winking: ), but even here a whole lot of caution is in order....several Gringos from the States were kidnapped and held for ransom on one of these hunts just a few months ago :shocked2: What do you want to hunt down there,anyhow? Game is scarce....it's subsistance living in many places-maybe most. Even an armadillo's life is in constant danger! I'm not trying to scare you. You could very well know more about it than I, though I have been married for about a hundred years to a Mexican Gal :haha: and have family and close friends across the River. Like I say...some of the finest people you'll ever meet are Mexicans :thumbsup:

I was thinking out loud. I seriously doubt I will go there myself.I have taken day trips while at the border and found the place rather intriguing.

Mexico is intriguing. Go visit the interior. The border region (the Frontier to a Mexican) is not representative of the true Mexico. Unfortunately many of us in the USA have the wrong attitude and idea about Mexico.

bigbore442001 said:
I was thinking out loud. I seriously doubt I will go there myself.I have taken day trips while at the border and found the place rather intriguing.

I have to agree. There are too many places to get to like Kodiak and the Rockies that beckon to be explored and hunted. Bland concedes that the Siera Madres are beautiful, but denuded of large trees from over logging. The game is scarce due to the free for all mentality toward the game laws. All considered, Mexico ends up way down on the list.

Latest posts

Back