• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

May need to pull breech plug.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I really don't want to but I may need to pull breech plug or drill and easy out my white lightning liner or maybe nothing.The liner I forgot to cut back so it doesn't stick into chamber. The liner is about 1/8 maybe more in front of breech plug face.I had to modify my scraper to get to BP. I'm thinking this liner sticking into the breech is making clean up
more difficult. What do the experts here say?
Leave it,,,pull liner and install new one cut to proper length,,,or pull BP and work the liner protrusion back to inside wall of barrel. The last one seems alot more difficult. This is on my fusil 20 ga.
Thanks
Hope this is in the right section of the forum.

EZ out the liner, toss it in the trash, fit a new one and chalk it all up to experience that you now have. Or pull the plug, most people can EZ out the liner without tearing things up worse compared to pulling a breechplug that might be really tight....

You will never break it loose with two wrenches. Get yourself a good vise, two sheets of brass between the jaws and the barrel and break her loose like Rich described. It's not a difficult task. And to answer your question I would pull the plug and trim the liner down flush before I would drill and easy out a good liner.

Ok guys I got it. Big vise with 1 in. Boxed end wrench on barrel Where barrel was in wrench the barrel was taped with electricians tap. Medium size adjustable on BP. Came out fine. Looking in breech the flash hole liner was not even 1/8 into bore. Took liner back flush with bore and polished inside of liner and BP. Used grey scotchbrite and jewelers ruge in paste form on the first 8 in of barrel to polish. All back together.
Thanks. Oh the threads of liner were just to the BP face but not touching it. Flash hole is less than 1/8 in front of BP face.
I'm going to get one of those poly hose with magnet to use when flushing breech.
Thans again

If your Fusil has a pinned barrel, you run the risk out chipping out stock wood if you remove the barrel, and then replace the pins. Easy out the liner, dress down the threaded portion of the new one to barrel wall thickness. install it, but leave the lug on. Run a patched jag down the bore. If it grabs, remove the liner and carefully file a bit off. Reinstall, done.

I really don't want to but I may need to pull breech plug or drill and easy out my white lightning liner or maybe nothing.The liner I forgot to cut back so it doesn't stick into chamber. The liner is about 1/8 maybe more in front of breech plug face.I had to modify my scraper to get to BP. I'm thinking this liner sticking into the breech is making clean up
more difficult. What do the experts here say?
Leave it,,,pull liner and install new one cut to proper length,,,or pull BP and work the liner protrusion back to inside wall of barrel. The last one seems alot more difficult. This is on my fusil 20 ga.
Thanks
Hope this is in the right section of the forum.
Amateurs make amateur mistakes. Get a person who knows what they are doing before you ruin your barrel or hurt yourself by making the barrel dangerous to shoot. Semper Fi.

If your Fusil has a pinned barrel, you run the risk out chipping out stock wood if you remove the barrel, and then replace the pins. Easy out the liner, dress down the threaded portion of the new one to barrel wall thickness. install it, but leave the lug on. Run a patched jag down the bore. If it grabs, remove the liner and carefully file a bit off. Reinstall, done.
If you read above, it’s fixed now. Win!

Thanks all. I've built several guns and installed most of the breech plugs. Never pulled one of mine or anyone's. All went well ,was just concerned since I didn't install it.
Thanks

Back