• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Max Load for a 1858 New Model Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Picked-up a Remmy 1858 at Dixon's a while back. A New Model Army made by Uberti. Was wondering what the loading is for it as I can't remember what Gregg Dixon told me other than it uses .454 balls just like my Walker and 1860 Army Colts. My Son and I will be using wonder-wads over the powder charge. I'm guessing about 25-30 grains might do the trick?

Thanks for the help in advance :) .

Dave

Traditions recomends 35 gr fffg Pyrodex for their '58, as a max load. 35 gr seems a little stiff to me, 25gr might be a little more practical.

i shoot 27gr.of 777with ox-yoke over powder wad and a 451r/b and this is a very accurate load with about max energy . :thumbsup:

Mine would hold a tad over 45 gr of Pyrodex P and still be able to seat a wad and ball. But Pyrodex compresses more than Goex, so probably around 40 grs of Goex.

I use a 7.62(AK round) caseful of 3F, then 1/16" felt wad then Lee conical, still a little room left but haven't tryed filling it yet. stout load and has killed a feral hog (head shot behind eye at 25 paces). knocked brains out.

Thanks for the help! I'll pre-load both 35 and 40 gr. charges in my little red tubes and I'll see if there's a difference in how/where they print.

Dave

What company makes your revolver? The Uberti is supposed to take .454's or so I've been told.

On the other hand, when using a cartridge conversion cylinder with .45 LC rounds, most cartridges are .451 or .452 come to think of it :hmm: .

I bought the revolver to do double duty, but I didn't buy the conversion R&D cylinder yet.

I already have .451's from a worn-out Euroarms NMA, so I can use that size as well :) .

Dave

My Remingtons have all taken a .454 but sometimes i even used .457's in them. The .451's will shoot, but will probably not be a Good tight fit in the chambers.

would a 40 or 45 grain load be to much for the buffalo revolver or a brass framed 1858?

I'm unsure if the chamber would hold 40 grs. I'm sure not 45. I use a 7.62X39 caseful (AK round) as powder measure, then 1'16" felt disc then conical slug. It's compressed load with little room left in cylinder. The charge is around 32 grs 3F. roundball would likely hold some more powder. and this is for my 'Buffalo'. I had 3 brass framed '58's and I shot max charges in them but generally less while plinking as max charges were not the most accurate. I used max loads just rarely. didn't seem to damage any at all.

Actually in the last Pietta i had i could get just over a 45 gr equiv. of Pyrodes P in it and still seat the ball without a wad under it. But Pyro compresses more than BP. As to the question above you, i wouldn't go over 30-35 grs in a brass framed Remington for extended shooting. A cyl. now and then of heavier loads probably wouldn't hurt it though. In a steel framed BP revolver there is no danger with loading it as full as you can and still seat the ball as long as you NEVER use any smokeless powder. Always use real BP or a BP sub.

I have 2 brass framed '58s. from what I seen max charges don't do much for accuracy but do add wear & tear. I usually get the best accuracy with charges below 30 grains. Somewhere around 22-27 grains work very well in both of my '58 bison revs.

I've filled the chambers on my 58's level full of Pyrodex, compressed them and then seated the balls. I'd guess somewhere around 50 grs. Helluva kick, pretty hard on the second knuckle when it gets rammed by the trigger guard. 30 grs. is a lil mousey for me. I usually load 35. Good accuracy and a nice lil kick too. 30 grs. just lays there. :barf:

In that case, you would do well with a Colt Walker for heavy loads & the '58 for target loads. Brass don't hold up too good with repeated heavy loads.

Mine ain't brass. I don't shoot'em like that much,mainly just tried it to see what it would do. Now when I was 12 with my first 58(which I still have and shoot BTW)I useta have to carve the front of the balls off to get the cylinder to turn but that was real bp that doesn't compress much(Pyrodex wasn't around in those days).35-40 grs. are my normal loads. Would like to have a Walker, just can't afford one.

I got good results with 40 grains of Pyrodex P, lubed felt wad and .454" Hornady balls. Mine is a Pietta "target" model. It would hold more - I am sure 45 is probably the max for Pyrodex and like said, 40 for regular black ffg. But 40 was a good stiff load and gave good groupings at 25 yards - like 3-4" off-hand for a cylinder full.

Boy, the nerve of some people!
Take ole' Mr. Colt and Mr Remington.
They could have made those chambers on their guns 1/2 inch longer so more powder could be loaded!

That gives me an idea.
How about a revolver where there is just one long cylinder. I bet the chambers could be 6 or 8 inches long, maybe longer. Now THAT would allow some really Magnum loads. :grin:

zonie :rotf:

Thanks guys for all of the advice! I think that I'll start with 35 grains and check the group size. Then I'll go up or down just a tad to see if there is any difference.

Dave

P.S. Zonie: Cabela's has a .45-70 smokeless cartridge revolver in the Gun Library made by Magnum Research. They call it the "B.F.R." model :rotf: , no :bull: , the B.F.R. I think that the name FITS :surrender: . And before you ask, no I don't want to shoot it :shocked2: .

You mean this;
BFR_long-Cyl-w-Mount.jpg

I'd rather have a Walker, the original "BFR" :wink: .

Back