• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Master Carver" gouges: Any reviews from users?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you John May. I've made it a habit to visit flea sales , and antique barns , etc. , and have found some wonderful old small wood carving tools , that just needed some restoring. If someone comes to see me , and needs a chisel or two , he can have them. I make a friend , and someone benefits. I also am guilty of reshaping quality steel small screw drivers , to do detailed carving. oldwood

A long time hobby of mine (since 1968) is making custom hunting knives. I use mostly 1084 and O1 steels. All my knife cutting edges are hand honed to a razor's edge before I send them to a customer. I have used the Smith's Arkansas stones for many years but now I use either a ceramic or diamond lap plate. I will finish the edge using a Sharpton Glass Plate # 2000 or grater mesh.

Every chisel or hand plane I get goes through a sharpening and honing ritual ;) before it is ever placed into service. I also do this on all my pocket knives - I like pocket folders made by Kershaw knives that are made in USA ONLY or Benchmade.

I made the mistake a couple of years ago, and bought 3 #3 sweep gouges. At the time Pfeil was out of stock.
They will hold an edge, but the body of the gouge is way too thick.
I use the stab in method to relief carve, and these just move way too much wood , leaving a big gap when using with the rest of the gouges.
Still waiting for Pfeil to ship the last one!

Bud i say try them out and see what you like. I carve with some cheap ones and some high price ones. I do wood carving and spoon, bowls and cups with the ones i have. I sharp mine on leather stroop and a cereal box with some compound on it, gets razor sharp. All of them work if you keep them sharp.

Gonna cause trouble here , but there is another path.. In the early 1970's , there was another supplier of fine wood carving tools in lue of expensive ones from Brownells. The tools were not expensive , and German import. ...................oldwood

You're not talking about Henckel Chisels are you. Brownell's did sell them at one time. Back around the early/mid 70's I bought three of them from Brownell's. All gouge's as that at the time was all I needed. Should have bought more but at around $3-4 at the time they seemed pricey. At todays prices that was a giveaway. Ebay sites and others have a hefty price on them. They were German made and pretty good steel/quality. They are size wise IMO sort of in the middle to what is available today. Still have them, keep a good edge.

Latest posts

Back