• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

marinating squirrel....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya I liked ham/beans too. everything else plugged me up bad.
the turkey tetrasinni (sp?) was rough-cut stuff.
the corned beef w/taters and onions was'nt so bad either. until you'd eaten it 4 consecutive meals.
fella could fry the mystery meat then dump the reconstituted dryed eggs in the pan. black pepper and tabasco. it was'nt good but it was'nt "BAD" bad. plugged a fella up worst of any of 'em though.

Proper marinating of squirrel is in a pressure cooker. Mom taught us that you separate them out by old and young squirrel. Old got put in the cooker and brought up to pressure and cooked about 15 minutes, then allowed to cool and pressure drop to open the cooker. Then the young ones added and heated and back up to pressure for about 5 minutes and then off the heat and considered done when the pressure was off. Adding some onion and/or sliced orange to the cooker and a bit of salt were added things she did. After cooking the squirrel could be used any number of ways as the previous posts account. One of my favorite was the way she fixed salad, ala "chicken salad", with small game instead of chicken. Grandmother liked to fricassee them and then granddad had gravy and meat to put on his biscuits. FP

NO argument on using a pressure cooker, though I don't myself.

Brer Bushy-tail and/or Peter Cottontail is GREAT no matter how it's fixed, though "chicken-fried" with fried potatoes, white gravy & cathead biscuits is my favorite.

yours, satx

seems like most everyone who has tried busytail likes em. I ain't had any in several years, but my mouth waters every time I think of FRIED SQUIRREL, GRAVY AND HOT BISCUITS.

Mine waters, too & I just had an excellent Asian dinner 2 hours ago.

Fwiw, I like wintertime rabbit just as well with white gravy & biscuits.- By January we are usually OUT of squirrels BUT cottontails, jackrabbits & swampies are PLENTIFUL & legal to take 12 months a year & they eat really great.
(My 1st cousin & his spayed Cocker gripe have been known to bring home 25-30 bunnies from a day's hunting.= He is deadly with that little DB 28bore)

yours, satx

Not that it matters much, BUT the process of pressure cooking goes back to the 17th century...that's right the 1600's...so if you're doing a replica recipe and you want to use the pressure cooker (albeit a modern, safe one) to prep the meat...you're good.

LD

Interesting. - Do you happen to know what the 17th Century pressure cookers looked like?

As I said, I don't own one though my kid sister has one & uses it often.

yours, satx

Latest posts

Back