• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Manufacturer Preference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've considered picking up a C&B revolver for quite some time, and after looking at histories, reviews, and descriptions decided I'd like to try a Model 1858 to start with.

Right now, I have a brief opportunity to get a hold of one at a discounted price, and I have the choice between a Traditions and a Pietta for within $4 of each other.

My question, then, is do those with experience with them know of any quality issues between the two brands or would it be a toss up?

Thanks for any thoughts and/or suggestions :hatsoff:

Traditions is a distributor, not a manufacturer, so the question is - who makes the version sold by Traditions?

Pietta has been getting better and better as time goes by, and buyers have gotten a whole lot more picky. Many here have bought their first gun made by them and have been totally happy with the purchase.

Right now, many opine that they are up there with Uberti and Pedersoli.

tac

Same thing, Traditions 1858 is a Pietta. I would be more concerned about the reputation of the vendor you get it from, customer service, etc.

I own several Piettas and one Uberti. The Uberti I own is junk but many prefer the Uberti revolvers.

Don

Well both the Uberti & Pietta are good guns - I own both. Years ago Piettas were not so good but they went with more modern machinery and now they are much better. Uberti will cost you a bit more but I still feel they are a notch above Pietta I have a professional pistolsmith friend who thinks that also.

If Traditions 1858 is a pietta, check customer service from the two providers and choose accordingly. MAKE sure the traditions is a pietta. Traditions has in my experience had great customer service. Nt a lot of difference so maybe the choice is between the lower of the two in shipping speed/cost :idunno:

It used to be that Uberti was assumed a step up from Pietta. Today, I think they run about the same. The distributor you buy from makes a bigger difference.

It seems that some U.S.-side suppliers tend to get better quality imports than others. I own three Uberti-made revolvers right now, two Ubertis from a well-known muzzleloading shop and one Uberti from Cimmarron. The Cimarron was a full step above the others out of the box.

The two I did not get from Cimarron needed to be gone over when they arrived - polishing contact points, re-fitting the wedge, and in one case, re-timing and removing burrs from the frame in three places.

The Cimarron gun had somewhat sloppy wood fitting on the grips, but otherwise was fine out of the box. I have no real objection to that and it shoots really well.

I've also been to the Taylor's & Co. display at a couple gun shows. They seemed a notch above the usual Uberti, and on a par with the Cimarron.

Wherever you buy needs to have a return policy. Buying an Italian reproduction is a throw of the dice. It is very likely the gun will have at least one very minor thing off about it. It is somewhat likely it will have a substantial but correctable issue if you have basic hand tools and patience. There is a small but real chance there is something wrong with it that requires a return (I have encountered new guns with loose arbors).

My view is that we have better metallurgy today than the originals did, but that the hand fitting and finishing at the factory is a step down from the originals.

They're a lot of fun once you're set to go, and once you're proficient with them it will be immediately apparent why they wiped out the single shot pistols that came before them.

I am sorry to run on, but it's no longer a case of "Uberti beats Pietta". It's a lot about where you buy and who is distributing today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of mine are Cimarron Uberti as they are the only ones now that do the 1862/5 style (Uberti that is I just think Cimarron are a little better finished) My Walker is Uberti but extensively reworked as is a ASM 1865 Pocket I have

I got my Colt 1860 from Dixie Gun Works. Worked fine right out of the box. Have over 300 rounds through it and the only problem I had was the latch retaining pin falling out. DGW sent me a new one.

With the prices being charged now they oughta be finished perfect, fit perfect, tuned perfect and shoot the caps off a six pack at fifty yards with your eyes closed. And oh yeah, they're gettin' pretty high priced too.

Thanks for all the input.

On closer examination, both were indeed Pietta's. As for return policy, the one I was strongly considering is a company I have worked with before, including using their return policy.

In the end, though, I decided to hold off on the purchase as there is a gun show coming up and there's always the off chance I could come across a good, used one for a better price - as well as take a good look at it before I buy it.

Once again, thanks to everyone :thumbsup:

GoodCheer said:
With the prices being charged now they oughta be finished perfect, fit perfect, tuned perfect and shoot the caps off a six pack at fifty yards with your eyes closed. And oh yeah, they're gettin' pretty high priced too.

I wholeheartedly agree!

GoodCheer said:

The gun is capable. It's usually the shooter who falls short.

My first cap & ball revolver was a 1861 Navy imported by Replica Arms & made by Uberti. Exterior fit & finish was superb. I have it today and have shot & cleaned it ever since I was 16 years old. It still looks as new and mechanically, the hand wore out & needed replacing recently (4-5 years ago).

All my Remingtons are Piettas, and work flawlessly (some needing a little polishing & fitting of the internals). All my Colts (except for a Pietta 1851) are Uberti & although Uberti definitely finishes wood better than Pietta, the majority of my mechanical issues and complaints about fit and function are with Uberti. IMO Pietta appears to have overtaken Uberti in the quality department & today, Uberti is only trading on their past glory as the best.

I picked up a used Uberti 62 Police a few years back, made for Dixie Arms in 1977 and it needed a bunch of tune up to even cycle correctly. The price was right at 150.00 as I remember and is now functioning perfectly.
Two of the ratchet teeth needed to be filed to correct the situation. Hard to believe it left the factory like that so I wonder if at some time the original hand broke and this was a new one that was installed and needed fitting.

I've been shooting a pair of Pietta New Army revolvers for cowboy action shooting for about 5 years and have shot thousand of rounds with them. When I got them they needed a little deburring and polishing internally, but it didn't take much and they have been running well. Now I have replaced the worn out hands and cylinder stop but that is to be expected.

Recently, I bought a Pietta 1860 Colt that was sold on a website as a Pietta but came in a Traditions box. It is marked Pietta all over the pistol. And it is flawless. I took it all a part to do any needed polishing and it didn't need any deburring or polishing at ALL! It is timed so well that after 300 rounds through it there isn't even a mark between the cylinder stops. There's no peened cylinder notches, nothing. I am well and truly impressed.

That's good news on the Pietta's as the first ones I bought needed lots of work to get the best from them but have always felt the fundamentals were present, they just needed fit better.
I had to build a new trigger for my 1860 as the factory would never harden up after repeated attempts to add carbon on the original. The gun has always been accurate though from the beginning.
Also had to make a new wedge for it when the barrel was set back and solder in a blade to replace the front sight.
It will now center them at 25 yards with a six o'clock hold on the bull.

Back