• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making the change...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
19 16 6 said:
Poor buggers you's mob.
I can shoot any cal I so choose of'n my front porch.
Black or smokeless.
Shoot clay's in the front yard.
Hunt up the back.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
You gotta move.
O.

Sounds glorious

dsayer said:
19 16 6 said:
Poor buggers you's mob.
I can shoot any cal I so choose of'n my front porch.
Black or smokeless.
Shoot clay's in the front yard.
Hunt up the back.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
You gotta move.
O.

Sounds glorious

All I need do is open the window....You haven't lived until you've hunted from your recliner.... :wink:

Mate I have not shot from my recliner yet but I do shoot out the front sliding doors off the dining room table right next to my lap top.
Normally I use a bi pod on a .22 rim fire. Once I did it with a 308 Win. The report near busted my ear drums.
I'll have to set up the recliner toward the front doors & shoot the 54 out through there. May haps I could even shoot prone off the sofa with a bit furniture moving. Just looking now, I think, if I put the sewing machine on the coffee table it will be the right height for a rest to shoot off the sofa.
Thinking I gotta pull the curtains way back & may be tie them so they dont catch alight. Might have to put something down on the carpet too so the falling embers & sparks don't catch light on it.
Oh yeah! wear ear protection.

Thanks for helping me think of that.
O.

19 16 6 said:
Mate I have not shot from my recliner yet but I do shoot out the front sliding doors off the dining room table right next to my lap top.
Normally I use a bi pod on a .22 rim fire. Once I did it with a 308 Win. The report near busted my ear drums.
I'll have to set up the recliner toward the front doors & shoot the 54 out through there. May haps I could even shoot prone off the sofa with a bit furniture moving. Just looking now, I think, if I put the sewing machine on the coffee table it will be the right height for a rest to shoot off the sofa.
Thinking I gotta pull the curtains way back & may be tie them so they dont catch alight. Might have to put something down on the carpet too so the falling embers & sparks don't catch light on it.
Oh yeah! wear ear protection.

Thanks for helping me think of that.
O.

:rotf: :rotf:

I did get to the outdoor range for a while earlier this week. I was a little pressed for time after shotgun patterning but did get to try a few powder/projectile combos at 50 yards. Best groups came from PRBs (.535 cast from Lee, 0.010 patch, mink oil) and a full 100gr of Graf's FFG.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/95870650@N03/6w7h39

I'm working on an elk hunting load with my cast 380gr Lee REALs. First attempts were awful (6+ inch groups at 50). Started to come together a little but still work to do. Below is best I could muster using 100gr FFG, pan lubed with SPG, and no wad.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/95870650@N03/6kJm03

Last edited by a moderator:
SgtMaj said:
:thumbsup: Good job!
There's always work for us to do. Until I get five PRBs into a target center at one bench sitting, I'll keep on tryin'.

For sure. I want to be confident that the only limiting factor is the dummy pulling the trigger when I go into the field. :hatsoff:

I don't feel that I've hunted unless I'm sleepy from getting up early, cold enough to break my fingers just like icicles and trying to keep a 40mph wind out of my eyes. Add to that seeing ZERO, ZILCH, even no tweetybirds. Now, girls; that is hunting!

hanshi said:
I don't feel that I've hunted unless I'm sleepy from getting up early, cold enough to break my fingers just like icicles and trying to keep a 40mph wind out of my eyes. Add to that seeing ZERO, ZILCH, even no tweetybirds. Now, girls; that is hunting!

Thank you for reminding me why I gave it up. I can go for a walk in the woods (OK desert here) anytime when its nice and warm. My days of getting into the woods at 4am and waiting for the sun in the freezing, sometimes rainy or snowy cold are long over!!

I do miss the occasional freezer full of venison though...

I also just made change at the suggestion of my fellow shooters. Last shoot, I asked what to do with my old pyrodex. After several humorous suggestions ranging from blowing up my bosses house to packing gophers holes, one member said it was ok to mix it 50/50 with BP and use it. This started a lively discussion about explosive theory, mental stability and suicidal impulses. does anyone know if it is safe to mix Pryodex and BP?

:idunno:

Myself? I wouldnt taint my black. If ya dont wanna use it dump it outside in the grass. I have used 10 gr charge of black to set it off in the flintlock but I would not "mix" it. Others know more than me though.....

SgtMaj said:
Yep, same here. I do get a measure of revenge when the breeze blows my ML smoke right over them. And, I always get a "damn" when I touch off my first PRB of the day. :rotf:
Now if I hd no other reason, THAT alone would get me to make the switch to REAL black :rotf:

In all seriousness, I've FINALLY had the pleasure of shooting the real stuff side by side with the subs I use. The nipple channel on my rifle tends to not get plugged up with the real stuff. Black MZ is horrible for it, Though that is my ONLY real complaint for the stuff. I don't ever recall having too awful a time of it with Pyrodex but if I am paying that price it might as well be the real stuff now that I can get it.

:redface: Yes I will admit I am converted. Though the MZ is so much cheaper I will probably continue to buy it SOME times. $10 a pound is worth the extra fuss at the bench, but in the woods I will take the pound of Goex 3f I was gifted at a shoot I went to with the local club. Those guys know where I can get it locally so I'm fixed for a source that doesn't force me to buy 10+ pounds at once.

Zonie said:
Thunderbird Cartridge Company in Laveen, Arizona sells real black powder.
Laveen is on the West side of Phoenix.

Good to know as well, though TBH I think you told me that once before a few years back when I was still just looking for excuses not to use real black. I'll phone them for a current price and maybe have an excuse to visit the west side someday soon!

Back