• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making the change...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too pop a cap on my percussion guns before loading. I usually hold the barrel in front of a weed or bit of grass and look for movement or dirt blowing to show the barrel is clear before loading the first charge. I don't remember having a failure to fire if I've done this if other things are not a problem.

I am amazed that your indoor range let's you shoot bp indoors. Around here big no no for even cap and ball as air system can't handle the volume of air needed to be moved.

Or dodge I read your post incorrectly? Congrats on getting it shooting by the way.

jdw276 said:
I am amazed that your indoor range let's you shoot bp indoors. Around here big no no for even cap and ball as air system can't handle the volume of air needed to be moved.

If a range can't handle the smoke from a muzzleloader, I have to wonder what one might be breathing in that they can't see.

jdw276 said:

Or dodge I read your post incorrectly? Congrats on getting it shooting by the way.

No, you read correctly. I shoot at the indoor range at least once a week. Their air system is impressive. Smoke is completely clear in just a couple of seconds. The range staff (and other patrons) love it when I show up. There's usually a small group of people standing behind me watching me after the first shot.

dsayer said:
jdw276 said:

No, you read correctly. I shoot at the indoor range at least once a week. Their air system is impressive. Smoke is completely clear in just a couple of seconds. The range staff (and other patrons) love it when I show up. There's usually a small group of people standing behind me watching me after the first shot.

In 1970, in the Denver area was a place called the golden bullet, it was an indoor range.
I am sure I was the first one to ever fire a black powder pistol there.
I also think I was the last.

The black powder ignited all the unburnt pistol powder in front of the shooters.
Didn’t burn the place down but did set the range floor a burning real good.

William Alexander

Interesting ... I've never shot indoors in the 56 years I've been shooting firearms. I live in a fairly rural area with only one two-lane indoor range. Will do that here in a few months as my outdoor range is adding an indoor facility, but only for centerfire handguns. I'll just have to rough it like I've always done. Touching off black powder indoors doesn't quite seem right to me. :wink:
Your indoor range must have a heck of an exhaust system installed in it. My exhaust system is the incessant, darned Oklahoma wind. :rotf:

I shoot at the indoor range out of necessity at the moment. I can be in my lane in 5 minutes from my door and I can help my wife with putting our toddler to sleep before I leave. That just leaves her with the newborn for a couple hours until I get back home.

Haven't had an issue with unburnt powder here. I did set the range on fire once at Cherry Creek State Park though...

I wished my range was that close, I have to drive 30 minutes. Anyway, you are going to enjoy shooting real BP. It's a blast, even if it's kind of dirty and cruddy. Let us know how you like it. :v

I hear ya. Closest public outdoor range is an hour from my house, costs over $20, and is full of people. I've never been there without a wait list.

I grew up in rural Nebraska and our "shooting range" was anything with a decent backstop outside of town. One of the few things I miss about living there.

I can get used to the crud and more frequent swabbing if I continue to get high quality ignition and accuracy from BP. The smell was rewarding...

Ahhh yes, the smell!! When I get through for the day and I'm out at my garage gun bench cleaning up one of my BP rifles, my wife will walk by and give me one of those "what-in-heck-did-you-eat looks." :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I used to could just drive out a mile or so from my small town to a farmer's land I knew and just shoot. Not anymore. All the new farmers have too many cattle out and there are a lot more houses out in the country. Had to find a range or my shooting days would have been over. My outdoor range costs $150 a year, but I can shoot every day, all day on it for that. It's getting crowded too. Gotta dodge a lot of .223 AR brass, but it's worth it to get to shoot at my snails pace. :wink:

SgtMaj said:
~Snip~
Had to find a range or my shooting days would have been over. My outdoor range costs $150 a year, but I can shoot every day, all day on it for that. It's getting crowded too. Gotta dodge a lot of .223 AR brass, but it's worth it to get to shoot at my snails pace. :wink:

That sounds a lot like the range I belong to. The brass is a heck of a lot easier to get used to than the ungodly muzzle blasts from them unmentionables of higher power that have muzzle breaks. Especially when the guy next to you thinks he should sit as far back as he can, thus putting his muzzle in line with where I sit. (Supposed to be sure the barrel is well beyond the end of the bench but there's only so many range officers so this rule is often overlooked.)

Reading these replies about going to a range to shoot is enlightening....and makes me VERY thankful I grew up a country kid and still live somewhere that I can shoot off my front porch if I want to.

:hatsoff: Forgive me for being somewhat envious of you. I had the privilege of spending 5 or 6 years of my youth on an 8 acre farm. We too were able to just step outside and shoot whenever we wanted. Though Mom made it very clear there was to be no hunting on the property..

DarrinG said:
Reading these replies about going to a range to shoot is enlightening....and makes me VERY thankful I grew up a country kid and still live somewhere that I can shoot off my front porch if I want to.

Yes, an unfortunate effect of city living for sure. Membership to my indoor range is $40 a month...

Poor buggers you's mob.
I can shoot any cal I so choose of'n my front porch.
Black or smokeless.
Shoot clay's in the front yard.
Hunt up the back.
Wouldn't have it any other way.
You gotta move.
O.

Back