• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making Accessories

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been tinkering in the shop making a few accessories while awaiting my Kibler SMR kit. Hopefully some of this stuff will be useful.

Jeff

IMG_0115.jpg

Very Nice,
If only to offer critique,, grind the rim off that cartridge case.
Query? Why the Forstner hole with the ball board?

Yes, the counterbore helps center the loading block over the muzzle. Not totally neccessary but it helps steady the board while using the block and short starter.

Coupled with the bag and horn made by Cory Joe Stewart the accessorries finish out my .45 kit. By the time the Kibler is finished I'll have a second kit made up. DIKAR .45.jpg

I enjoy taking a Nube with his new rifle to the range. Doddridge's 18th century book says each gun is served by it's unique shot pouch. Few of these pouches have survived w/ there original contents. Since I have no idea what went in one ,I just put in the pouch what works for me , and tell the new fellow to adjust the stuff as he likes , hoping he will make some with his signature on it.

Grinding off the cartridge rim is something I almost always do when I use them for making most anything. This is whether I make powder measures or rod tips. The bottom short starter DOES still have a tiny rim.

Just looked through a couple m/l supply catalogs. These accessories aren't inexpensive , but with a little imagination most m/l folks can create their own stuff. I encourage it.
Roger that on saving money. Most of my projects so far have come from scraps.

The investment of time has helped develop some fabrication skills that may eventually payoff during rifle building.

It's comical to me , when I spend time in the woods ,I have to laugh at what I look for. Used to just hunt and ignore all the artifacts out there. Last year I found a broken antler , and a skeleton of a coyote. The rib bones that were left after nature had its way, made really cool touch hole picks , with addition of some epoxie and soft steel wire. The curve of the rib bone gave a perfect angle to clear the pan on a flintlock , and fit my hand well. The antler parts went to my neighbor for knife parts. Couple of years ago , found the jawbone , we think , of a small bear ,and that went to my knife maker as well. Gotta love this m/l stuff. I love to make these accessories , and passing them out to folks..........oldwood

It's comical to me , when I spend time in the woods ,I have to laugh at what I look for. Used to just hunt and ignore all the artifacts out there. Last year I found a broken antler , and a skeleton of a coyote. The rib bones that were left after nature had its way, made really cool touch hole picks , with addition of some epoxie and soft steel wire. The curve of the rib bone gave a perfect angle to clear the pan on a flintlock , and fit my hand well. The antler parts went to my neighbor for knife parts. Couple of years ago , found the jawbone , we think , of a small bear ,and that went to my knife maker as well. Gotta love this m/l stuff. I love to make these accessories , and passing them out to folks..........oldwood
You can not build art using only hardware store purchases.

Back