• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Making a Hawken lock hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been rebuilding a Hawken rifle I bought several years ago. It has been much more of a chore than I originally thought it would be.

So last Friday I thought I'd make a replica of the late Hawkens hammer from the Jim Bridger and Kit Carson rifles. It's taken me 6 days working about 2-3 hours per day or so, but I'm retired so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

My lock was a Davis Hawken style with the Ron Long hammer than most people have seen. It looked like this originally: (these are thumbnails shots)
20180605093400-3102 (2).jpg
You'll note the gap in the standing breech and the lock plate, but the hammer hits the nipple okay.

This is what I decided to copy from the original Jim Bridger Hawken rifle:
JBH05-1.jpg

And this is what I have at the moment:
IMG_0156a.jpg
IMG_0158a.jpg

So anyway, I think it is coming along alright. I'll post another photo later of the hammer mounted on the lock and mounted in the rifle. You'll see how much tighter the hammer fit is to the bolster.
Mike

Last edited:
Looking good. I see a lot of difference in the lock springs as well, but I’d be more concerned about the gap. My big question is, how do you keep your hands that clean! :thumb:

That hammer looks great. On my first Hawken build in 1968 I made a lock complete with the hammer - not as nice as yours but it worked well.
IMG_1903.JPG

Here's a couple of photos of the partially assembled rifle: (click on the thumbnails to enlarge)
a 1/2 overview photo
IMG_0168a.jpg

a close up of the lock area
IMG_0167a.jpg

The new hammer on the lock looks pretty good. Too bad the tip of the hammer doesn't show better, but you get the idea. Compare this photo with the original photo of the lock area when I got it, it looks much better.

I heated the standing breech and bent it down & welded metal to reshape it. I reshaped the bolster area quite a bit. I also made a larger lock plate, got a little carried away with it but it looks okay to my eye.

Now I have to harden parts and mess with the underrib - still a way to go yet.
Thanks for the comments guys.
Mike

Photos of the lock after hardening:
IMG_0247a.jpgIMG_0249a.jpg
This is a new lockplate that I made. It's longer and wider than the original plate. Mine is 5" x 1-1/16" whereas the original is 4.85" x 1". It's closer to the Jim Bridger lock but there's still differences.

later, Mike

Back