• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Makeing beer and eating were diferent in the 1700's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woods Dweller

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a very good little book on recipes and the History of foods in the 1700's. http://jas-townsend.com/revolutionary-recipes-p-230.html

The comp that makes this book, also makes a little book: Christmas in the 1700'S.

I have had these 2 books for many years and have been fascinated with and what people ate back them. Much of things we would find gross today.

At Christmas poultry would have been boiled then dusted with flower, thinking that white was purity. the skin of a turkey with the feathers still on it would have been put back on the bird for decoration. Jelly & jams would have been put in a common bowl for all to eat from.
A cow head might have been roasted and served with an bread & egg stuffing in the ears to help keep there shape and the tong still in it's mouth. YUMMmmmm

Holiday dinner's would have been an all night affair. Meats, roasted, boiled, & pickled, would have been served. wines & beer would have flowed freely, jelly's, Jam's,& sweet sauce would have been served. Then Music dancing & games. The table might be cleared to the wood and nuts & fruit placed on the table to crack open and eaten. Then Veg and meat pies. then all sorts of punch and drinks brought out. Then a break in the celebration where the men would have went for a smoke. And the woman for a nap. Than back to the celebration with cakes, pies, and candy's. This would go on all night.
It's hard for us to get our heads around something like this. To prove this, lets take Music. We get in a car, there Music. in your home there Music, watch a movie there Music. The point is, Music is no big deal to us today. What if you only heard Music 3 or 4 times a year. It would be a great thing. This is how I see living History.
Sorry for the rambling. It's 2am.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woods Dweller said:
It's hard for us to get our heads around something like this.
Sounds like the time between Christmas eve and New Years day in Italy...an incredible amount and variety of food, desserts and drinks. :grin:

I have to say I like head cheese...well thats made from pork but I doubt cows head would ruin my appitite. I like tounge and often take jowls from a deer. I tried eye but didnt care for the texture. I have never dressed a turkey back up but this remained popular through much of the 19th century. I tried dressing up westren quial like this and it was a pia. Although the turkey was a special meal.
I can't eat them any more :shake: but I used to do an old recepie for fruit cake, and plum pudding, and it was good eating.
Many of the taste were markedly differnt. Some of the combination spices I cant get my tounge around today. Some foods just sound disgusting since we dont see them in the local wal-mart,but can be good eating.

Here in south Texas, a steer's head, buried underground with hot coals overnight, is still considered quite a delicacy, especially among our Tejanos. = To those "sensitive persons" who turn their collective noses up at BBQ head, may I inquire was to what part of a steer is NOT beef?

yours, satx

The folks I butcher hogs with boil all the extras like tongues kidney cheek meat livers etc is boiled in a huge cast iron kettle and they just grab pieces of liver or kidney and bite off a chunk.

I do have a couple of old cook books and the one that gets me is something called "Bee Sting" Goat colostrum sweetened with honey.

satx78247 said:
It is said that "everything but the squeal" goes into "whole hog sausage".

yours, satx

when I was stationed in West Germany, we lived 'on the economy' for a few years, and our landlord invited us to help butcher a hog. as a kid from the suburbs, this was quite the eye- opener ... they really did use everything but the squeal

At a pig roast some years back, among co-workers, I decided to try some adventurous eating. Took a tablespoon, dug around, and came up with a spoonful of brains, which I then ate. I found them rather good, but a fellow who had been watching me jumped up and ran into the men's room.

I tried cold brains at a later date, but they were not as good.

Woods Dweller said:
This is a very good little book on recipes and the History of foods in the 1700's. http://jas-townsend.com/revolutionary-recipes-p-230.html

The comp that makes this book, also makes a little book: Christmas in the 1700'S.

I have had these 2 books for many years and have been fascinated with and what people ate back them. Much of things we would find gross today.

At Christmas poultry would have been boiled then dusted with flower, thinking that white was purity. the skin of a turkey with the feathers still on it would have been put back on the bird for decoration. Jelly & jams would have been put in a common bowl for all to eat from.
A cow head might have been roasted and served with an bread & egg stuffing in the ears to help keep there shape and the tong still in it's mouth. YUMMmmmm

Holiday dinner's would have been an all night affair. Meats, roasted, boiled, & pickled, would have been served. wines & beer would have flowed freely, jelly's, Jam's,& sweet sauce would have been served. Then Music dancing & games. The table might be cleared to the wood and nuts & fruit placed on the table to crack open and eaten. Then Veg and meat pies. then all sorts of punch and drinks brought out. Then a break in the celebration where the men would have went for a smoke. And the woman for a nap. Than back to the celebration with cakes, pies, and candy's. This would go on all night.
It's hard for us to get our heads around something like this. To prove this, lets take Music. We get in a car, there Music. in your home there Music, watch a movie there Music. The point is, Music is no big deal to us today. What if you only heard Music 3 or 4 times a year. It would be a great thing. This is how I see living History.
Sorry for the rambling. It's 2am.

T
Takes that long to cook in a fireplace. all was not ready together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brains can be infected with a protein string that's smaller then a virus and self replicating but not quite alive. Cooking doesn't break it down or kill it since it's not alive. It cause ' mad cow' , in people it cause Alzheimer's like condition, first seen in south seas among cannibal who kept the soul of the deceased in the family by eating the brain.

The disease is called Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease.
The protein is called a prion and it is extremely heat resistant......so cooking has no affect on it.
A man I knew just died from it.

Latest posts

Back