• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mag spark

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of the earlier versions that uses a small rifle primer. I tried it for a while, but found that removing the cover after each shot, and prying out the used primer was a hassle. I guess it would be OK to use at the range if caps were not available, but I would never use one for hunting. Way to easy to drop the cap in the leaves to be gone but not forgotten. then you would be truly out of the shooting business.

My primary use for one is in high humidity or wet weather. Lot here talk about difficulty with it but if your placement is like it should be then it's a mute subject.
Second shot on large game with a muzzleloader is best served with a second barrel or second rifle.

My primary use for one is in high humidity or wet weather. Lot here talk about difficulty with it but if your placement is like it should be then it's a mute subject.
Second shot on large game with a muzzleloader is best served with a second barrel or second rifle.
Just un-loading the gun at the end of the day with this device is a royal pinta.

Heads up.

I have an older GPR that the Mag-Spark does not fit. Didn't understand why until I found out the nipple length was changed at one point for the GPR's.

I do have a target rifle (based on a TC Renegade) that will probably be rebored for heavy charges and heavy bullets of either .54 or .58 bore that will be worked up with a Mag-Spark.

Got a four lube groove 524 grain .54 caliber mold coming. Looking forwards to seeing how it shoots.

Last edited:
Why use at all? If you are going to use old style guns don't fool yourself into believing you are having some of the old time experience by adding modern gimcrackies.
I don't agree with that perspective at all. Everything is subject to modification & improvements.

I have one that I use on my Pedersoli Hawken. Originally I bought it for the Missouri River 50 caliber fast twist and I wanted to use BH209 - just because. But in a side lock a traditional cap or musket cap will not set it off. The 209 adapter using a Federal 209A works perfect. It just makes the side lock more versatile. Although the Missouri River has been sold and I had the Rocky Mountain rebored to 58 caliber by Hoyt - just because. It is balances better.

Why use at all? If you are going to use old style guns don't fool yourself into believing you are having some of the old time experience by adding modern gimcrackies.
In today's market, that for some means they can't get #11 caps, are you saying the OP is just supposed to stop shooting his muzzleloader? If you read his post, his reason for asking about the MagSpark is the difficulty finding any #11's, but that he has 209's that can keep him shooting through this cap shortage. I would think that approach would apply to those having no BP but having access to the harder to light substitute powders that need a more powerful ignition source, as well. Lighten up on the HC/PC BS & help the man shoot!

In today's market, that for some means they can't get #11 caps, are you saying the OP is just supposed to stop shooting his muzzleloader? If you read his post, his reason for asking about the MagSpark is the difficulty finding any #11's, but that he has 209's that can keep him shooting through this cap shortage. I would think that approach would apply to those having no BP but having access to the harder to light substitute powders that need a more powerful ignition source, as well. Lighten up on the HC/PC BS & help the man shoot!
Good post!

Kind of like using the internet for sharing and learning for your old time experiences instead of relying on the Telegraph and the Pony Express…..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back